Returning MTG Player & Needing HELP

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello. I played MTG in Middle school (about 15 years ago) and then again around when Alara Reborn came out. I always played with friends and for fun. I now just got back into playing because of the Magic Celebration event. I would like to build a pure Angel deck and would like to play more competitively. I would like to build both a competitive standard Angels deck and a competitive all around Angels deck. This is what I have so far:

1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1x Angel of Jubilation
1x Reya Dawnbringer
1x Angelic Arbiter
1x Serra Angel
1x Serra's Embrace
1x Sublime Archangel
1x Angel's Feather
1x Angel Song
1x Healing Salve
1x Shieldmate's Blessing
1x Prison Term
2x Ring of Thune
2x Angelic Benediction
2x Armored Ascension
3x Chancellor of the Annex
3x Herald of War
3x Serra Avenger
3x Divine Favor
3x Oblivion Ring
4x Pacifism
22x Plains

Please help!

Thanks,
Barby
I would like to build a pure Angel deck and would like to play more competitively. I would like to build both a competitive standard Angels deck and a competitive all around Angels deck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid that building a competitive Angel deck--in any format--probably isn't going to work. When you build around a theme, you're pretty much always going to be sacrificing power in favor of your theme. Individual Angel cards may be good, but not all of them are, and many angel-themed cards may be flavorful, but not powerful at all.

In a casual setting such a deck can be awesome, and you can probably build a competitive deck that includes a few Angels, but a deck focused around them isn't likely to be all that good in a tournament setting.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I would like to build a pure Angel deck and would like to play more competitively. I would like to build both a competitive standard Angels deck and a competitive all around Angels deck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid that building a competitive Angel deck--in any format--probably isn't going to work. When you build around a theme, you're pretty much always going to be sacrificing power in favor of your theme. Individual Angel cards may be good, but not all of them are, and many angel-themed cards may be flavorful, but not powerful at all.

In a casual setting such a deck can be awesome, and you can probably build a competitive deck that includes a few Angels, but a deck focused around them isn't likely to be all that good in a tournament setting.

That is bad news. What I don't understand is, I've seen beast, demon, vampires, elf, soldier, birds, and other themed decks that have worked competitively. I'm wondering why Angels don't get the same.  Would you say it's easier to build around a power, like.... milling, discard, instant damage, etc?
what Angels are lacking are cheap creatures
so you can't do much until about turn4 when the Angels start to show up

you could combine an Angel with a Soldier deck, for example, with the soldiers taking up the lower slots

however, that has still the same basic problem: if you limit yourself to a theme you exclude many useful cards
proud member of the 2011 community team
what Angels are lacking are cheap creatures
so you can't do much until about turn4 when the Angels start to show up

you could combine an Angel with a Soldier deck, for example, with the soldiers taking up the lower slots

however, that has still the same basic problem: if you limit yourself to a theme you exclude many useful cards

What is a good competitve white deck?
mono white?
white weenie is a classic, I don't think it is that competitive these days, it is simply overshadowed by Delver

if you are talking more than Standard than the Soul Sisters with their Mother and Father are quite good
not sure how Serra Ascendant fits into the family ;)
mono white?
white weenie is a classic, I don't think it is that competitive these days, it is simply overshadowed by Delver

if you are talking more than Standard than the Soul Sisters with their Mother and Father are quite good
not sure how Serra Ascendant fits into the family ;)

What are the top 5 standard competitive colored decks right now?
check out the decks of the week
If I was tasked with building the best Angel themed deck I could in Standard right now, it would probably include:

4 x Angel of Jubilation 
4 x Emancipation Angel 
2 x Herald of War  
4 x Restoration Angel 
4 x Serra Avenger
4 x Sublime Archangel
1 x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
2 x Defy Death
4 x Scroll of Avacyn
4 x Seraph Sanctuary
20 x Plains

That leaves 7 spots. Some removal and ramp would probably round it off.

Not top tier, but it doesnt use awful cards, in the context, IMO.     

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

I got "We could not find any articles for that selection."

If I was tasked with building the best Angel themed deck I could in Standard right now, it would probably include:

4 x Angel of Jubilation 
4 x Emancipation Angel 
2 x Herald of War  
4 x Restoration Angel 
4 x Serra Avenger
4 x Sublime Archangel
1 x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
2 x Defy Death
4 x Scroll of Avacyn
4 x Seraph Sanctuary
20 x Plains

That leaves 7 spots. Some removal and ramp would probably round it off.

Not top tier, but it doesnt use awful cards, in the context, IMO.     

~ Tim 

Thanks! I have most of those cards. Im willign to give diffrent lists diffrent runs and see how it goes. One will never know unless one tries. Right?

I got "We could not find any articles for that selection."

fixed
Seems like Green and Blackare the most popular colors for decks followed by some Blue. White and Red aren't that popular.
There is some great angel cards out there now but an angel themed deck would run very slow.  Unfortunatly the meta where I play is all about winning as fast as possible - anything past turn 8 would be considered a long match.  If you are looking to win some matches at a competitive FNM and you like the color white, look into exalted/white weenie.  BW tokens is a fast deck that you may like too.