Can fire do anything cool?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know thunder can push and cold has the whole frost cheese but is there any cool combos with fire?

Of all the elemental types, it is one of the most common resistances so fire's schtick is to add in as many ways to crank up the amount of damage as possible while also burning (hehe) away enemy resistances. As far as I know, fire doesn't have much in the way of control like thunder/lightning or the ability to grant nigh-permanent combat advantage.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

Fire can create some interesting zones as a manner of control.  And as far as resistances go, there are ways with fire to ignore resistances and that's where you go with fire.  For instance, a mage with pyromancy school ignores fire restistance outright from level 1.  Makes them very striker-ish compared to other wizards/mages.  Problem is that many of the power are not ally friendly...

TjD

The zone-heavy tendencies of fire make it a common element in combination with push/pull/slide effects, and it's probably the most likely one to come with an "ongoing X damage" rider. There are a few things that interact with the latter (increasing ongoing damage or having a greater effect if the target is taking ongoing damage).
Marshmellows, graham crackers, and chocolate.

OH! You're talking about in D&D......

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Defenders: We ARE the wall!

I've replaced the previous Edition Warring line in my sig with this one, because honestly, everybody needs to work together to make the D&D they like without trampling on somebody else's D&D.

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Fire can't do anything cool. But it can do everything hot.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Marshmellows, graham crackers, and chocolate.

OH! You're talking about in D&D......

You mean your characters don't have s'mores at the end of the five-minute workday?
Yes but only if you're a tiefling. At paragon, you can grab a feat that lets you do ongoing fire damage to any enemy that's vulnerable to fire. As a tiefling, you can make it so when they save against ongoing damage, they take additional damage. 

There are a few ways of creating fire vulnerability to make this work.

Also, since we're in charop... a lot of monsters have fire resist/immunity, and ongoing damage is generally not advisable. 
There is no reason you can't admix thunder or cold into it. Blazing Starfall comes with both fire and radiant keywords.

It's more a matter of what you want to do with the build, than what fire itself alone can provide you. Helllocks and their hybrids are pretty awesome in a number of ways. Hellish Rebuke can create catch 22's with hybrid marking for a defender/striker. You can build one to hand out substantial temp hp's like candy for a leader/striker (though that has nothing to do with fire really, other than the bread and butter power). You can add psychic damage to your curse with a second pact, and grab psychic lock for a controller/striker.

Couple important fire notes, Tiefling can give you added accuracy and damage. Incendiary Dagger or Ashen Rod may play well with some fire builds, though they are rarely better than an accurate staff of ruin.
Tiefling elemental warlock MC wizard focusing on fire can get pretty crazy. Burn second wind every encounter to set your elemental affinity to fire, and take the feats consuming the weak, helfire master, and icy clutch of Stygia. Now your powers deal fire damage due to elemental affinity, and, due to the fire vulnerability of cursed targets, also from elemental affinity, also deal ongoing fire damage, which also procs the fire vulnerability, as does the fire damage that they take if/when they make the save for said ongoing damage from hellfire master.

Science!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

!!Science!!

FTFY

Fire is best damage type, no matter how much anyone here gripes. Tongue Out