Pauper Goblins! Please Comment.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking at building the following deck for my wife.  She has some of the cards already, and I wanted to get her a Pauper deck on the cheap that is fun to play.

4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
3 Intimidator Initiate
3 Goblin Sledder
4 Goblin Fireslinger
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Dragon Fodder
4 Giantbaiting
3 Raid Bombardment
4 Brimstone Volley

17 Mountain
2 Smoldering Spires
1 Teetering Peaks

It's currently at an acceptable cost (around $15 at my local store).  I just wanted to get a feel for whether this would be a useable deck for casual pauper games, as I am not familiar with playing goblins OR pauper :P

Thanks for the assistance. 

16 Mountain ($0.80)
2 Teetering Peaks ($0.10)
4 Goblin Bushwhacker ($0.20)
4 Goblin Cohort ($0.20)
4 Mogg Conscripts ($0.20)
4 Goblin Sledder ($0.20)
4 Mogg Raider ($0.20)
4 Mogg War Marshal ($1)
4 Mogg Flunkies ($0.20)
3 Sparksmith ($0.20)
4 Lightning Bolt ($2)
4 Goblin Grenade ($1)
3 Fireblast ($3)
Total: $9.30

I've looked at many Pauper decks at the weekly Deck of the Week list and this seems to resemble most Goblin decks.

You can check it out yourself if you'd like.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/archive.a...

This thread reminds me that I was meaning to do so myself since I haven't check them out in a while.
The beta version of the new MTGO client made me get back into Pauper. (both because Commander is unplayable in it and because the client is so nice for 1v1)
@Sleeping
Thanks for the suggestion, but for me that deck would cost almost $25 at my local store.  I'm in Aus, so I assume my costs are higher (as usual).

@rockshard
Thanks for the link, I shall check it out

The deck is being build for a a casual pauper event I've organised among friends.  None of us have played Pauper before so it will be a good way to play some new decks and try some new strategies!

Those prices are prices to buy the cards from online retailers. The prices should be the same everywhere, but shipping might be a few more dollars. Anyway, the creature base is cheap, and that is a good creature base for an aggressive goblins deck.

If you're playing Pauper are you including all commons such as Hymn to Tourach? Or are you playing MTGO Pauper where only cards printed at common on MTGO count (minus the ban list which includes Frantic Search and Cranial Plating)? If you're doing the second then I'm pretty sure Goblin Grenade isn't actually allowed.

I play Pauper in online tournaments. Its certainly a fun format, except for the lack of mana fixing.

Following MTGO Pauper rules as they were the first I found when looking.
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

Ah good point, I didn't check MTGO for Goblin Grenade, only Gatherer (which wouldn't be relevant if following the above rules, d'oh!)

Yeah Pauper looks like a lot of fun.  If this event goes well we'll certainly be playing it more often! 
Following the MTGO rules is a good idea. Basically it means you don't have to worry about people doing rediculous things because of the lack of a ban list. You may want to look here for ideas. The right sidebar has tournament results, scroll to the bottom for recent ones. Pauper decks are always going to be pretty cheap to build, and they are even cheaper with physical cards generally since there isn't a demand.
One can still check gatherer to see if a card is legal in MTGO Pauper, it's simply a matter of knowing which sets are on MTGO and which aren't.
Which is simple.......... well at least usually it is. :p

Everything starting with Mirage onwards was released on MTGO. That's the gist of it.

In the case of Goblin Grenade, the only set it's listed as a common is Fallen Empires, which wasn't released on MTGO.
As soon as I saw this post, I had to comment on it and throw a deck really quick together.

Goblins go boom.

Basically, the deck allows you to dump tons of goblins on the field, while keeping your hand somewhat refreshed with spells like dangerous wager and forgotten cave. Then you either kill your opponent with the goblin war strikes, or sac all your goblins with skirk prospector and/or brightstone ritural to blow your opponent to bits with Kaervik's tourch. I've provided a sideboard that gives you an option to get more agressive with your mobs of tiny goblins. Also if the lightning bolts are too expensive for you to get, you can always swap them out for either shock or tarfire

btw, don't worry about it running only 16 lands, my goblin deck works perfectly with only 14 and it's abit heavier on mana then this is

Edit: I was thinking last night about this deck and I think replacing the Goblin Replicas with x4Mudbutton Torchrunner then replacing the 2 Kuldotha rebirths with more Brightstone Riturals would be better. Also While Goblin grenade is a beast in any goblin deck, is is an uncommon in 2 different sets. I prefer to keep all arguements at bay by building the deck with cards that have always been a common. But that's just me

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, and Goblin Grenade all shine and are really cheap.  Especially the Goblin Grenades.  Those are definitely a must.
Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, and Goblin Grenade all shine and are really cheap.  Especially the Goblin Grenades.  Those are definitely a must.

Grenade isn't Pauper, and Command / Fodder is just bad next to Mogg War Marshal, who works especially well with Sledder / Raider.

Grenade isn't Pauper, and Command / Fodder is just bad next to Mogg War Marshal, who works especially well with Sledder / Raider.

Uhhh, guess again, Goblin Grenade is common in its first printing in Fallen Empires.  But if you're really picky Reckless Abandon.  And I forgot to mention Mogg Fanatic; I don't understand why you don't see this more in goblin decks.  It's solid. 

Uhhh, guess again, Goblin Grenade is common in its first printing in Fallen Empires.  But if you're really picky Reckless Abandon.  And I forgot to mention Mogg Fanatic; I don't understand why you don't see this more in goblin decks.  It's solid. 

Official Pauper (which is what the OP is playing) only allows cards printed at common on MTGO. Fallen Empires has never been printed on MTGO.
Looks to me that the OP is playing "Casual Pauper" (his words) not Official Pauper.  You are the one who plays Official Pauper.

BUT AT ANY RATE.  Like I said, if you don't want Goblin Grenade, Reckless Abandon is its in-bred cousin that is slightly less good but still good. 
He said:
Following MTGO Pauper rules as they were the first I found when looking.
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

And Reckless Abandon is alright, but ultimately its worse than Fireblast (which requires no Goblins and no untapped mana, and most importantly is instant speed). You could play both though I guess.
Sign In to post comments