Which monk is more effective for this group.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok our group im going monk. 
we have a
cleric
warlord
bard
wizard
bezerker
And me monk

I origionally wanted to go revelant/dragonborn/iron soul and work on breath weapon but that doesnt kick in till at least 8th lvl 
But lately ive been thinking of a bleeder monk with frost thrown in
Probably human and CW monk. He would be slight crowd control where the breath guy would just blast people across the map.

What do you guys think?

Ok our group im going monk. 
we have a
cleric
warlord
bard
wizard
bezerker
And me monk

I origionally wanted to go revelant/dragonborn/iron soul and work on breath weapon but that doesnt kick in till at least 8th lvl 
But lately ive been thinking of a bleeder monk with frost thrown in
Probably human and CW monk. He would be slight crowd control where the breath guy would just blast people across the map.

What do you guys think?

Well, your group is massively leader heavy. I'm not real up on the cutting edge with monks and combat optimization, but you'll want to go with the option that lets you hurt the enemy bad, don't worry about defense, don't even worry about mobility, you want a rockin MBA for Commander's Strike etc, and just in general assume you're going to be in the middle of a crudstorm with buffs out the wazoo most of the time. Your job is going to be to wreak havoc, you're the party's weapon. Luckily you can be pretty hard core at multi-target melee, so that would be my advice, crank it.

I think the best build is probably Stone Fist, you get the best damage bonus out of that, and you can leave all the fancy pushing stuff around and whatnot to the bard and warlord. I think Iron Soul would be the next best choice, you can still hit hard, but you get the added durability with the CON secondary, and you may need to be pretty tough since the DM is likely to be pounding on you (as you're definitely going to be a pretty significant damage dealer).
That is not dead which may eternal lie
That is an interesting party.  A ton of leaders and control.  No real defender or pure single target striker.

I would think a bleeder would be a good choice since it would do more damage over time and your fights are going to be a bit of a slog.

But iron soul would help with the lack of true defender.

It would help to know a little bit about what builds they are going for.  For instance the cleric can fill in either as an off striker or defender if built right.  The wizard could be all action denial or a blaster wizard with good DPR.  If its a blaster wizard and off striker cleric with the berserker focusing on damage I would go more for the iron soul route for instance.
Count the characters in the group who shouldn't be in melee.

If there's no more than two, I strongly suggest playing a Rogue MC Monk.

Because the Warlord is very good at granting out-of-turn attacks, and a Bard can also be very good at it in Paragon*, and the Monk is so sucky in that situation that when I was playing a Warlord I preferentially gave granted MBAs to the Swordmage - and if he was out of position or I was granting two at a time, the Tempest Fighter. Not the Monk. (RBAs went to the Psion.)

But a Rogue MC Monk can beef his unarmed attack nicely with a few feats, and add Sneak Attack once per turn - pure gold on granted attacks.

Refluff as heavily as seems appropriate. 

If there are more than two characters who shouldn't be in melee, consider a Greatweapon Fighter. Not as good as a Rogue for offense, but better for defense and still does a lot of damage. Again, refluff.

* If you're in a party with a Cunning Bard, and you're a melee character, at level 11 take or retrain into the feat Agile Opportunist. Just do it. There are NOT two other combat-relevant feats you need more.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
You have two leaders who are going to grant MBAs. A monk has no MBAs. I love the class, but I was pretty frustrated playing in a party with a warlord, as the fighter was constantly getting to take the direct the strikes from the warlord instead of me, the supposed striker.
You have two leaders who are going to grant MBAs. A monk has no MBAs. I love the class, but I was pretty frustrated playing in a party with a warlord, as the fighter was constantly getting to take the direct the strikes from the warlord instead of me, the supposed striker.

Ummmmm, Monks have a perfectly good MBA, though admittedly you'll want to go with the Stone Fist (STR secondary) build to make it most effective. You don't get Flurry of Blows on off-turn attacks, but your Ki focus or weapon will apply. As a general rule monks are no less effective at MBAs than rogues are, that's for sure. Neither is a STR primary class. Rogues can now benefit from SA every turn, so they do now have something of an edge. Still, no rogue will outdamage a Stone Fist standing in the middle of 3-4 enemies either...
That is not dead which may eternal lie