4 x Redirect
1 x Black Sun's Zenith
1 x Duress
1 x Death Wind
1 x Essence Scatter
1 x negate
1 x counterspell
1 x Brainstorm

This deck has lot of control magic to attack my opponent strategy and to slow down his gameplay, to enable me to use Buried Alive to put my Inkwell Leviathans and Dralnu, Lich Lord into the graveyard, so that I can use Dimir Doppelganger ability to copy creatures in the graveyard.

The use of Dralnu, Lich Lord will enable me to reuse sorceries and instants that I had already cast.

Inkwell Leviathan is a nice finisher, since it has shroud and trample and with the help of the control magic, I can use it to destroy my opponent defenses and drain it's life points.

Dimir Doppelganger can also enable me to use my opponent creatures against himself and to use against those pesky undying creatures.

I designed this deck because I liked the idea of combining Dimir Doppelganger and Dralnu, Lich Lord to make a fun deck to use.

So, no one has any comment about this deck?

I just want to know if this works and if I should make any changes. 
I feel you need more than just one target for your Doppleganger. Maybe some big eldrazi's. You run 4 buried alive but only 3 creatures worth something in your graveyard. There are also better options than death wind. 4 counterspells and 4 cancels I think would be sufficient as far as counterspells go. Traumatize is another way to fill your opponents graveyard with creatures. dimir cutpurse for card draw would also be nice. Just some of my thoughts.
I feel you need more than just one target for your Doppleganger. Maybe some big eldrazi's. You run 4 buried alive but only 3 creatures worth something in your graveyard. There are also better options than death wind. 4 counterspells and 4 cancels I think would be sufficient as far as counterspells go. Traumatize is another way to fill your opponents graveyard with creatures. dimir cutpurse for card draw would also be nice. Just some of my thoughts.

So, what if I change the deck to this:

Lands ( 24 ):
4 x Creeping Tar Pit
4 x Terramorphic Expanse
4 x Drowned Catacomb
6 x Island
6 x Swamp

Creatures( 10 ):
1 x Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 x inkwell leviathan
1 x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 x Progenitus
3 x Dimir Doppelganger
3 x Doomed Necromancer

Instants ( 15 )
3 x Death Wind
3 x Essence Scatter
3 x cancel
3 x counterspell
3 x Brainstorm

Sorceries ( 11 ):
4 x Buried Alive
4 x Tragic Slip
3 x Duress

Sideboard ( 15 ):
4 x Sudden Spoiling/c]4 x [c]Redirect
1 x Doomed Necromancer
1 x Dimir Doppelganger
1 x Duress
1 x Death Wind
1 x Essence Scatter
1 x counterspell
1 x Brainstorm

Any coments? 

Your second list looks quite decent for a casual control deck (of course depending on your playgroup's powerlevel). But if you want to emphasize on Dralnu, Lich Lord I'd change the creature base once again. the Dimir Doppelganger, while nice, have 2 major downsides for your deck: 1) they exile your single Dralnu 2) they copy Dralnu (with his negative triggered ability) where you only want his activated ability. Point 2 brings me to the suggestion of the follwoing creaturebase:

the looters help you get your key pieces (necrotic ooze + buried alive) while filling your graveyard with stuff to flashback. ooze only gets dralnus activated ability (!), avatar of woe is just icing on the cake. (be sure to look into other cards with nice activated abilities and enhance your toolbox (afer all you will probably a buried alive in the graveyard, ready to be flashed back)).
Your second list looks quite decent for a casual control deck (of course depending on your playgroup's powerlevel). But if you want to emphasize on Dralnu, Lich Lord I'd change the creature base once again. the Dimir Doppelganger, while nice, have 2 major downsides for your deck: 1) they exile your single Dralnu 2) they copy Dralnu (with his negative triggered ability) where you only want his activated ability. Point 2 brings me to the suggestion of the follwoing creaturebase:

the looters help you get your key pieces (necrotic ooze + buried alive) while filling your graveyard with stuff to flashback. ooze only gets dralnus activated ability (!), avatar of woe is just icing on the cake. (be sure to look into other cards with nice activated abilities and enhance your toolbox (afer all you will probably a buried alive in the graveyard, ready to be flashed back)).

I loved that idea, thank you very much.

So, What if I had something like this:

Lands ( 24 ):
4 x Creeping Tar Pit
4 x Terramorphic Expanse
4 x Drowned Catacomb
6 x Island
6 x Swamp

Creatures( 12 ):
1 x Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 x Shauku, Endbringer
1 x Blockade Runner
1 x Sphinx of Magosi
4 x Krovikan Sorcerer
4 x Necrotic Ooze

Instants ( 16 )
4 x Death Wind
4 x Essence Scatter
4 x counterspell
4 x Tragic Slip

Sorceries ( 8 ):
4 x Buried Alive
4 x Duress

Sideboard ( 15 ):
4 x Sudden Spoiling
4 x Redirect
4 x Negate
3 x Doomed Necromancer

Creeping Tar Pit - it's a mana fixer and a creature backup, in case everithing else fails

Duress + counterspell + Essence Scatter - to control what spells my oponent puts into play: 8 cards to control sorceries, enchantments and instants and 8 to control creatures - the sideboard will have 4 redirect to play against burn decks  and 4 negates to play against decks heavy on noncreature spells (like control decks)

Death Wind and tragic Slip - spot removal, they seem to work well together (I can use the Wind against a weenie and then a Slip against a fatty) and they can take down even indestructible creatures -  the sideboard will have 4 sudden spoiling, to be used against creature heavy decks

Krovikan Sorcerer, Buried Alive and Necrotic Ooze - they are the deck engine, the first get's me more cards, the second helps me find the creatures to fuel Necrotic Ooze.

Dralnu, Lich Lord,  Shauku, Endbringer, Blockade Runner and Sphinx of Magosi - these are the tools to fuel Necrotic Ooze: Dralnu, Lich Lord enables me to recast already used spells, Shauku, Endbringer eneble me to remove enemy creaures and to boost Necrotic Ooze power and resistance, Blockade Runner can be used to make Necrotic Ooze unblockable, Sphinx of Magosi to boost Necrotic Ooze and to get more cards to play - the sideboard will have 3 Doomed Necromancer if I'm having dificulti to maitain Necrotic Ooze alive.
I personally wouldn't run Krovikan Sorcerer over Merfolk Looter (having to discard before the draw is very limiting, though the sorcerer's 2nd ability may come in handy once in a while). If playing the sorcerer at all I'd probably run 3 looter 1 sorcerer. Aside from that: nice creature choices. I'd probably look for some more creatures and put 2-3 others in my sideboard to adapt the necrotic ooze strategy for differen matchups (stuff like Ancient Kavu vs heavy protection from black builds, Wall of Blood to end games quickly, Morphling or some other shroud/hexproof giver vs. heavy removal). Glad you liked my ooze idea, wish you lots of fun with the deck.
I personally wouldn't run Krovikan Sorcerer over Merfolk Looter (having to discard before the draw is very limiting, though the sorcerer's 2nd ability may come in handy once in a while). If playing the sorcerer at all I'd probably run 3 looter 1 sorcerer. Aside from that: nice creature choices. I'd probably look for some more creatures and put 2-3 others in my sideboard to adapt the necrotic ooze strategy for differen matchups (stuff like Ancient Kavu vs heavy protection from black builds, Wall of Blood to end games quickly, Morphling or some other shroud/hexproof giver vs. heavy removal). Glad you liked my ooze idea, wish you lots of fun with the deck.

You are right, I liked the second ability, but the drawback don't seem to compensate, I will use Merfolk Looter instead.

Those are some nice creatures, that con combine with the ones I had put in the deck:

Wall of BloodBlockade Runner = huge amount of direct damage 

Shauku, Endbringer + Morphling  = clean battlefield and a boosted Necrotic Ooze

What about Blind Seer to deal with color protections? The advantage is that it's blue (so it's compatible with the amana base) and it can also work with the Instants and Sorceries.

Should I take out the 3 Doomed Necromancer to put these 3 (Wall of Blood, Morphling, Blind Seer), or should I take maybe Sudden Spoiling to add one more Doomed Necromancer and these 3 creatures? Having Doomed Necromancer's would enable me to recover Necrotic Ooze if it's killed and I already have 8 spot removals and Shauku, Endbringer to deal with creatures.

Blind Seer while a nice choice and in color won't help vs. stuff like Etched Champion (if they get their metalcraft from noncreature artifacts) and being in-color doesn't mean to much, since you probably either have a looter on field or in graveyard, so you can just discard the kavu (which can also be paid with if you use all your to untap ooze via morphling). Looking at me mentioning non-creature artifacts, Gorilla Shaman looks like a good sideboard card (or basically any creature with an activated, colorless costing, artifact destruction ability).
Blind Seer while a nice choice and in color won't help vs. stuff like Etched Champion (if they get their metalcraft from noncreature artifacts) and being in-color doesn't mean to much, since you probably either have a looter on field or in graveyard, so you can just discard the kavu (which can also be paid with if you use all your to untap ooze via morphling). Looking at me mentioning non-creature artifacts, Gorilla Shaman looks like a good sideboard card (or basically any creature with an activated, colorless costing, artifact destruction ability).

Welll ... the deck has 4 Duress that I can use to remove artifacts, 4 Essence Scatter to avoid creatures like that from being cast and 4 counterspell to counter both ... and if needed I can take out 4 spot removal to add 4 Negate ... and after all of that I also have Dralnu, Lich Lord to recicle those spells. 

Do you think that I need Gorilla Shaman on top of that?

You needing the shaman depends a lot on the decks you play, if you regulary run into affinity and Puresteel Paladin/living weapon decks he is a solid sideboard choice, if not that many artifact heavy decks are around in your meta, he probably isn't needed. BTW, having thought a bit about the looter/sorcerer thingy -> I'd probably really run a 3-1 split, since you normally want to have the looter, but having the sorcerer 1 out of 4 times is ok, and his 2nd ability can be worth tapping your ooze for.
you could also try a spot for something like Time Elemental/Temporal Adept to bounce problematic artifacts/enchantments that slipped through your counter/discard-defense. On a side note: since your deck relies heavily on the ooze, I'd probably run some Lightning Greaves (I know finding free slots in the deck is hard, but shroud + haste is worth it).
You needing the shaman depends a lot on the decks you play, if you regulary run into affinity and Puresteel Paladin/living weapon decks he is a solid sideboard choice, if not that many artifact heavy decks are around in your meta, he probably isn't needed. BTW, having thought a bit about the looter/sorcerer thingy -> I'd probably really run a 3-1 split, since you normally want to have the looter, but having the sorcerer 1 out of 4 times is ok, and his 2nd ability can be worth tapping your ooze for.
you could also try a spot for something like Time Elemental/Temporal Adept to bounce problematic artifacts/enchantments that slipped through your counter/discard-defense. On a side note: since your deck relies heavily on the ooze, I'd probably run some Lightning Greaves (I know finding free slots in the deck is hard, but shroud + haste is worth it).

That's why I prefer to relly in cards that can be used with the deck mana base, since in an emergency I can still play them, without the Necrotic Ooze.

Since I will probably have to sacrifice some life points in the beginning of the game, by letting my opponent play to have mana free to counter Key/dangerous spells, I'm thinking replacing Wall of Blood  by Skeleton Scavengers, so that I can regenerate and boost it's power at the same time, I Will also have 1 Morphling to protect the Necrotic Ooze and I think it will be a good idea to have some Doomed Necromancer to be a complement to Necrotic Ooze, since I can use them to bring back any fallen Necrotic Ooze when playing against control or removal heavy decks or to get the most powerfull creatures of the deck into the battlefield againts creature heavy decks.

So, against a balanced deck I'm thinking using the deck like this:

Lands ( 24 ):
4 x Creeping Tar Pit
4 x Terramorphic Expanse
4 x Drowned Catacomb
6 x Island
6 x Swamp

Creatures( 12 ):
4 x Necrotic Ooze
3 x Merfolk Looter
2 x Doomed Necromancer
1 x Krovikan Sorcerer
1 x Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 x Skeleton Scavengers
1 x Blockade Runner
1 x Morphling
1 x Sphinx of Magosi

Instants ( 14 )
3 x Death Wind
3 x Essence Scatter
4 x counterspell
3 x Tragic Slip

Sorceries ( 8 ):
4 x Buried Alive
4 x Duress

Sideboard ( 15 ):
4 x Redirect
4 x Negate
1 x Essence Scatter
1 x Death Wind
1 x Tragic Slip
1 x Shauku, Endbringer
1 x Blind Seer

In the sideboard I have creature aditional creature removal spells/creatures (essence scatter, death wind, tragig slip, Shauku, Endbringer), aditional control spells to deal againtst mill/control/burn decks (redirect, negate) and  Blind Seer to get around color protection.

And the Skeleton Scavengers, Blockade Runner, Morphling and Sphinx of Magosi are powerful creatures by themselves that can give an huge boost to this deck, when combined with Necrotic Ooze or Doomed Necromancer. In case everithing else fails, I would still have 4 Creeping Tar Pit as a last resource play.

What do you think? If needed I can add some of my unused Diplomatic Imnunity cards to the deck, but to do that I will have to take out other spells and this can create holes in my defense. Will this change be worth the price?
I'd most definitly maindeck Shauku, Endbringer and side out either one of the Doomed Necromancers or one of your removal spells (probably Tragic Slip since the Emdbringers exile doesn't activate morbid). Aside from that: thumps up, nice deck.
I'd most definitly maindeck Shauku, Endbringer and side out either one of the Doomed Necromancers or one of your removal spells (probably Tragic Slip since the Emdbringers exile doesn't activate morbid). Aside from that: thumps up, nice deck.

Thanks for your help.

I added erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shauku, Endbringer to the sideboard because it would be difficult to  use it without Necrotic Ooze and I gave priority to creatures that can be used without them ... but I will surely add him when playing against heavy creature decks. 

Hi again,

Just had another idea concerning your manabase -> -1 Island -1 Swamp +2 Nephalia Drownyard: either more abilities for your ooze or more flashbacking goodies for Dralnu.
Hi again,

Just had another idea concerning your manabase -> -1 Island -1 Swamp +2 Nephalia Drownyard: either more abilities for your ooze or more flashbacking goodies for Dralnu.

I'm a bit preocupied with the mana base, so I don't know if adding a coloress mana production land would be a good idea.
I'm tempted to replace the 4 Terramorphic Expanse by 4 Sunken Ruins

Well I made some tweeks to the deck (with some friendly advices) and now it have a nice finishing move: Phyrexian DevourerTriskelion.

Sheoldred, Whispering One was also added ... it can be cast by having it and the Doomed necromancer in the graveyard, that would enable me to sacrifice one Ooze to get Sheoldred into the battlefield and then Sheoldred would enable me to get that Ooze back.

Infest was aslo added to deal with weenie-aggro decks.

I also replaced Duress by Inquisition of Kozilek.

It's current form is as follows:

Lands ( 24 ):

4 x Creeping Tar Pit
4 x Terramorphic Expanse
4 x Drowned Catacomb
6 x Island
6 x Swamp

Creatures( 16 ):
4 x Necrotic Ooze
3 x Merfolk Looter
1 x Krovikan Sorcerer
1 x Doomed Necromancer
1 x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 x Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 x Phyrexian Devourer
1 x Triskelion
1 x Shauku, Endbringer
1 x Morphling
1 x Skeleton Scavengers

Instants( 13 )
3 x Death Wind
3 x Essence Scatter
4 x counterspell
3 x Tragic Slip

Sorceries ( 7 ):
4 x Buried Alive
3 x Inquisition of Kozilek

Sideboard ( 15 ):
4 x Redirect
4 x Negate
4 x Infest
1 x Inquisition of Kozilek
1 x Steel Hellkite
1 x Sphinx of Magosi
I think your deck can handle creatures pretty well, so I'd probably swap Essence Scatter and Negate between main and side. Concering the Drownyards, I see you play a color intensive deck, but I don't think 2 colorless lands will hurt you too much (and I picked only 2 for exactly that reason) but that's just a matter of taste I guess.
I think your deck can handle creatures pretty well, so I'd probably swap Essence Scatter and Negate between main and side. Concering the Drownyards, I see you play a color intensive deck, but I don't think 2 colorless lands will hurt you too much (and I picked only 2 for exactly that reason) but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

Do you know any in-color land that could fit nicely in this deck, as an alternative to Nephalia Drownyard?

The only color producing land that could fit here I know of is probably Cephalid Coliseum, though it hurts. And I'm pretty sure your deck can handle 2 colorless producing lands (better than the pain and sac from the coliseum for sure).
The only color producing land that could fit here I know of is probably Cephalid Coliseum, though it hurts. And I'm pretty sure your deck can handle 2 colorless producing lands (better than the pain and sac from the coliseum for sure).

After finishing the deck I will test it to see how it works and if it's possible to add a couple of Nephalia Drownyard.

Sign In to post comments