9/12/2012 UR: "Epic Experiment"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

pseudoscientific words are so Izzet

psyhedelic, dude.

pick 4 for preview card.

The spell version of Genesis Wave. The first crazy idea that comes to mind is casting it for 9, grabbing Worldfire and a burn spell. Obviously not very realistic or competitive, but I kind of want to resolve that once just for the sake of being able to say I did.
My initial thoughts would be to build a storm style deck in an eternal format with lots of rituals, cantrips and draw spells. Unfortuntately, these don't chain like Mind's Desire, so I'm not sure how good that would be.
Do you see the synergy between this card and the other card previewed today. You not only burn your opponent for two with the experiment, you also burn for every multicolor spell you cast with the experiment.
Cool card! I also really liked how you sneakily mentioned Krenko and his mission.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I wish the Izzet tech words weren't all capitalized.
Could be epic with a lot of Cascade cards.
Story is siilllyy. Which I guess is in-character for Izzet. I kinda agree the silly technobabble words shouldn't be capitalised.

Card is pretty awesome, but like Qilong said in the wrong thread, I'm not sure why this and Genesis Wave are different rarities. 
Fire-Rain Bloodletting Mayhem Neighbor Appreciation Day is my favorite holiday.
It's such a shame that you can't cast a second Epic Experiment with the first one. Well, you can, but it won't do very much. I'd like to see this in a deck with a bunch of Manamorphoses and Desperate Rituals and the like, with a Grapeshot or two at the end. There's a slight chance that it might be stronger than trying to Ritual directly into a Storm win.
At first I was excited about this, but from what I'm reading you can't overload off of this card.  

It's pretty lame to me that the izzet mythic has no combo potential with the guild's signature mechanic.

I was really looking forward to being able to use overload with eye of the storm.  I hope what I'm reading is wrong.  :/
Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
At first I was excited about this, but from what I'm reading you can't overload off of this card.  

It's pretty lame to me that the izzet mythic has no combo potential with the guild's signature mechanic.

I was really looking forward to being able to use overload with eye of the storm.  I hope what I'm reading is wrong.  :/

Unfortunately I believe you are correct.  Overload seems to be an alternate cost as you pay the overload cost instead of the mana cost.  Only one alternate cost can be payed on a card.

Here is the rule that is leading me to this conclusion:

" 117.9. Some spells have alternative costs. An alternative cost is a cost listed in a spell’s text, or applied to it from another effect, that its controller may pay rather than paying the spell’s mana cost.  Alternative costs are usually phrased, “You may [action] rather than pay [this object’s] mana cost,” or “You may cast [this object] without paying its mana cost.” Note that some alternative costs are listed in keywords; see rule 702.

117.9a Only one alternative cost can be applied to any one spell as it’s being cast. The controller of
the spell announces his or her intentions to pay that cost as described in rule 601.2b.

117.9b Alternative costs are always optional.

117.9c An alternative cost doesn’t change a spell’s mana cost, only what its controller has to pay to
cast it. Spells and abilities that ask for that spell’s mana cost still see the original value.

117.9d If an alternative cost is being paid to cast a spell, any additional costs, cost increases, and
cost reductions that affect that spell are applied to that alternative cost. (See rule 601.2e.)"

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
how does this spell work with Split Second?

From what I've heard, if you Epic Experiment into a split second spell, you would want to put that spell onthe bottom of the stack, which would make all the other spells you want to cast un-counterable and un-respondable (don't think thats a word, but I'm gonna go with it :P).

However, if you get 2 split second spells, things get REALLY confusing.  Can you cast them both? or do you have to choose one? 
If the first card you choose to cast off Epic Experiment has split second, you'll put it on the stack and...that's it. You won't legally be able to cast anything else, not even another split second spell, and again split second demonstrates its unwillingness to help you "protect" other spells.
ok then. Yeah, as soon as I posted that, my friend and I began discussing it further.  On the first look at it, that was the conclusion with split second, but then we were confused with teh second split second spell.  We eventually came to same thought though.  such a shame, could be so much more broken in other formats. :/
Sign In to post comments