PEACH my Warforged Barbarian charing machine [Epic]

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've finally reached epic level with this barbarian, and would like to discuss him with the great minds in CharOp.  I've used Lord Duskblade's Appetite for Destruction handbook extensively and sprinkled in some of my own ideas as how progression should go. I'd like any suggestions for changes to feats, powers, items, and really anything. Since I'll be faced with retiring the character soon, I'd like to get him in tip-top shape before I put him on the shelf. Wink

The equipment listed here is  partially stuff I found in play and partially stuff I just threw in based on what a typical 21st level character should have access to, total cash value wise.  The one item I HAVE to keep out of what I have listed is the Champion's Ring (we are finishing up the Revenge of the Giants book), and my party currently has a total of 4 items including the ring I'm using, so I'm benefitting from those.

Our group doesn't communicate well when levelling our characters, so we have almost no team synergy (radiant mafia, headsman's chop, or other shenanigans are out), though the cleric has a feat that gives the party a +1 shield bonus to AC.

While in play, this character has been a lot of fun: He's able to pinball through the monster ranks and manages to charge most rounds.  He's also pretty survivable, throwing of many status effects and having decent hit points.  Now that he's hit epic level, I can finally take advantage of the Sonnlinor belt and Enduring Rage combo I've been drooling over for the last 7 levels.

Please let me know what you think, and feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for picking something.  I have tough skin.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bear Skin, level 21
Warforged, Barbarian, Warforged Juggernaut, Raven Knight
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Narfell (Narfell Benefit)
Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 19, DEX 22, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 38 Fort: 37 Ref: 37 Will: 33
HP: 154 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 38

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +22, Intimidate +18, Perception +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +10, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +21, Heal +13, History +10, Insight +13, Nature +15, Religion +10, Stealth +16, Streetwise +11, Thievery +16

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Iron Wolf Warrior Attack: Iron Wolf Charge
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian Utility 6: Run Rampant
Barbarian Attack 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian Attack 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian Utility 10: Wellspring of Renewal
Warforged Juggernaut Attack 11: Ruinous Onslaught
Warforged Juggernaut Utility 12: Inexorable Momentum
Barbarian Attack 13: Storm of Blades
Barbarian Attack 15: Thunderfury Rage
Barbarian Utility 16: Primal Resistance
Iron Wolf Warrior Attack 17: Iron Wolf's Bound
Barbarian Attack 19: Winter Phoenix Rage
Warforged Juggernaut Attack 20: Crag of Steel

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Execution axe)
Level 2: Warforged Tactics
Level 4: Reckless Charge
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Charging Rampage
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 16: Deadly Rage
Level 18: Powerful Charge
Level 18: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 21: Axe Mastery
Level 21: Enduring Rage

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Boots of Adept Charging
Potion of Resistance (paragon tier)
Potion of Vitality
Horned Helm (paragon tier) x1
Great Cat Darkhide Armor +4 x1
Champion's Ring x1
Thundergod Execution axe +5 x1
Badge of the Berserker +5 x1
Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier) x1
Ring of Giants x1
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (paragon tier) x1
Demonskin Tattoo (paragon tier) x1
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
Potion of Clarity (level 20)
Elixir of Giant Strength (paragon tier)
Distance Handaxe +3
Boots of the Mighty Charge x1
====== End ======

Do you find yourself falling unconscious a lot? If not I wouldn't bother with enduring rage. Instead I would take Epic Resurgence to recharge Storm of Blades when you crit.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Thanks for the reply, Fardiz!

I've been unconscious a few times, but not often.  I do like to stay in the bloodied condition, since it adds to my AC and reflex defense thanks to the Champion's Ring, and Epic Resurgence will keep me up longer (at least that was my reasoning).  Also, I get a free attack if someone drops me below 1 hp (Iron Wolf Warrior).

I've found Storm of Blades to be somewhat of a dud:  Until this equipment change, I couldn't use it on a charge, and it seems like every time I used it I would miss on the 1st or 2nd swing.  Recharging it on a crit sounds good, but the power hasn't been 'gold' for me.  I'll probably take it later, if I ever level up, but I was thinking of ditching the Great Cat armor and going with Marauder Armor and Long Step for 22nd level.
Do you find yourself falling unconscious a lot? If not I wouldn't bother with enduring rage. Instead I would take Epic Resurgence to recharge Storm of Blades when you crit.

Enduring rage + Belt of sollinor righoutness + warforged is very good.

You could add Psionic Discorperation if you really felt like never dying.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

You could add Psionic Discorperation if you really felt like never dying.

Yikes!  That's pretty sneaky, there.  I like it, though I don't know how I feel about becoming an Elan to do it.  Thanks!

I find it difficult to pull out dailies early enough to make Deadly Rage count (YMMV). Instead, I'd pick up Bravo, to use with Storm of Blades in an AP/Nova sequence. Gets you another trained skill too. 3 skills at 21 is pretty pathetic.

Also what do you have that requires you to use an axe? Fullblade seems like the better way to go with this build. You do have the stats for Heavy Blade Mastery, and Thundergod can be any melee weapon.

Also, maybe you need more immediate action attacks. Strikebacks or Backlash Tattoo comes to mind.
Battle Awareness > Bravo
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
With Battle Awareness (MC Fighter) you could then change to a Gouge (Axe & Spear) for a weapon (retrain your Execution Axe to a Gouge) and take the Surprising Charge feat:

Surprising Charge

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Dex 17, fighter or rogue
Benefit: When you make a charge attack against a target that is granting combat advantage to you, the attack deals 1[W] extra damage if you hit with a light blade or a spear. 

I find it difficult to pull out dailies early enough to make Deadly Rage count (YMMV). Instead, I'd pick up Bravo, to use with Storm of Blades in an AP/Nova sequence. Gets you another trained skill too. 3 skills at 21 is pretty pathetic.

Also what do you have that requires you to use an axe? Fullblade seems like the better way to go with this build. You do have the stats for Heavy Blade Mastery, and Thundergod can be any melee weapon.

Also, maybe you need more immediate action attacks. Strikebacks or Backlash Tattoo comes to mind.

You are right about my rages coming in later in the combat.  I hadn't seen the Bravo multiclass.  That's a nice feature.  I was thinking of dabbling with the Avenger multiclass, since it allows me a re-roll on all attacks for two rounds, and with the expanded crit range, becomes more deadly.  I'll definitely reconsider that, though.

I had the executioner's axe because I thought the brutal 2 property was cool, way back when I first made the character.  I hadn't re-evaluated the math on that one, but you are probably right.

As far as immediate actions go, for a while it seemed like I was always using my immediates vs. status effects, and only occasionally using my Curtain of Steel.  Fighting mostly monsters with reach (giants), means I've been seeing it less and less, and the gauntlets of blood seemed like I could use it more often.  I would like to keep my demonskin Tattoo, since I've been getting hit a lot with elemental damage.  If you think those two things are outweighed by getting two more hits a combat, I'll check it out.

Thanks, Mengu74! 
With Battle Awareness (MC Fighter) you could then change to a Gouge (Axe & Spear) for a weapon (retrain your Execution Axe to a Gouge) and take the Surprising Charge feat

Thanks, Larry_Hunsaker, I like the idea of extra damage on a charge (kind of my whole theme).  If I could squeeze deadly axe in there, I could get the high crit property back, too.  What to squeeze out, though?
With Battle Awareness (MC Fighter) you could then change to a Gouge (Axe & Spear) for a weapon (retrain your Execution Axe to a Gouge) and take the Surprising Charge feat

Thanks, Larry_Hunsaker, I like the idea of extra damage on a charge (kind of my whole theme).  If I could squeeze deadly axe in there, I could get the high crit property back, too.  What to squeeze out, though?

If you swap to draeven marauder as your PP, you could get rid of axe mastery as you would have crits on 19-20 with the gouge.
Sign In to post comments