Dragonborn Next Theoretical (looking for advice/tweaks)

This weekend we will be running the playtest packet and for it we will be converting some characters over.  Most of them have gone smoothly, Human Cleric, Dwarven Rogue, and then we got to the Dragonborn Ranger.  We have converted the Ranger over to the Fighter Dual Wielding and that works great, but the Dragonborn aspect has taken a little work.  I thought I would post what I have right now and see if any of you have any suggestions or critiques on it so far.

Dragonborn

Size Medium
Speed 30
Ability Score Adjustments: +1 STR +1 CHR

Traits

Dragon Breath: 1d6+Con vs Dex Save  (2 per day) 
Dragonborn Fury: +1 to attack rolls when under 1/2 health
Ancient Insight: Advantage on all insight checks.

I came up with this by starting out with humans getting +7 to stats and reading that most of the races come up with almost 7 features.

1. STR increase

2. CHR increase

3. Dragonborn Fury

4. Ancient Insight

5. Dragon Breath (counted as two)

6. Dragon Breath

7. (left open for suggestions, but with nothing else I will throw low light vision in there)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I and my players thank you.
I'd advise ditching the 7th feature, and making them choose between chr or str.

Then turn the breath weapon into a scaling 1/encounter effect. Right now it's gonna become pretty damn worthless as you level up, especially since it costs an action now.

Also can we please stop forgetting everything we learned about race craft in 4e? I know I say it alot but to see the same mistake applied to a race based of one of my 4e faves makes it worse. Set the ability for the d-breath to an array of possible choices at the very least.
It would be nice to see the breath not always require a dex save. A cloud of acid/poison isn't exactly "dodgable" like a cone or line attack might be. It might require a Con save instead.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
So, maybe model the breath after the color you choose. Lightning a line(dex), flame a cone(dex), acid/poison cloud(con). Those make sense.
I meant allow the dragon born to choose which ability score runs the DC with the breath weapon but yeah this other thing would be good too.

I want both now.

The breath weapon needs work but yeah otherwise this race is far above the playtest races.
The Kopesh I have taken to visualizing as a culturally preferred weapon by many Dragonborn, I made up a superior version of the kopesh, calling it a WarTooth in the Dragon Language.

Since so much of the Dragonborn artwork featured large axelike sword kind of fit. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I think dragonborn could use subraces (there are a lot of different dragons, maybe more than elves…).
Something like :

DRAGONBORN
Size: Medium.
Dragonborn fury : when you are under one-half HPs, you are never have disadvantage on your attack rolls.
Dragon slumber : After a long rest, a dragonborn may chose to slumbering. In dragon slumber, the dragonborn stops aging or needing to eat or drink. When sleeping or into dragon slumber, a dragonborn is considered awake for any check to perceive danger or to perceive an intrusion within 30 feet.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.
Subrace: Choose a subrace. Warscale or spellscale (stolen from races of dragons, 3.5 ed., warscale is just to give a similar name)

• WARSCALES
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Strength score increases by 1.
Dragonbreath : Each creature in a 15-foot cone originating from you makes a Dexterity saving throw against a DC equal to 11 + one-fourth your character level + your ability modifier . A creature takes 1d12 fire damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. You cannot use your dragonbreath again until you take a short or a long rest.
[insert text for scaling damage here]
When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use to determine your dragonbreath DC. You also choose the power’s damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. These two choices remain throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.

• SPELLSCALES
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma score increases by 1.
Draconic power : Chose one element between acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison.  When you attack with a spell dealing the chosen element damage, the damage die for that spell increases by one step: from d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, d10 to d12, and d12 to 2d6.
war scale breath damage doesn't scale

Dragonborn fury : when you are under one-half HPs, you are never have disadvantage on your attack rolls.

Is there any precedent for this?  I haven't heard much about the advantage system, but the ability to negate disadvantage - without just cancelling it by a source of advantage - is an entirely new one on me.

The metagame is not the game.
I am just throwing ideas that were sleeping in some files Wink

For dragonborn fury, I avoided a bonus to hit as it seems they will be limited in 5th ed. I wanted to keep the fury part, so I have limited the number of racial traits to balance the power of the fury and the subraces. But it certainly needs playtesting, that's why I didn't determine a scaling for the dragonbreath. Too much effort for just throwing ideas Tongue Out
I'm not certain how to respond to that.

Witht he breath weapon it needs to scale (at least up to level 5), and you have some big decisions to make there. I doubt it really works as a cultural ability since you know it's inherent to all dragonborn except the fearblasters. Also is it something that should take an action because if so it needs to compensate with better damage/area coverage, if not it needs to become a non/additional action (please devs stop trying to hide the damned minor action).
Ok, so I like the dragon breath needing a short rest (ie 1/encounter) to recharge, it makes sense to me.

I also like the idea of dragon slumber, it fits what I think when I think dragon.

I also think that scaling the damage up would be nice if it increased every odd level or so, for instance:

level 1 1d6, lvl 3 1d8, lvl 5 1d10 and so on.

I think this would keep the attack comperable with the other powers as it levels.  Also possibly modifying the range every so often, making it bigger and bigger.

The idea of breaking it apart into seperate groups like MM suggested makes a lot of sense too though I think that is beyond me to hone down.  I will toy around with it and let you all know what I decided on and if it was OP or not.

I must say I am really impressed with the discussion so far all great suggestions and nothing that seems overwhelming to me. 
The problem being that dragon born don't have a history of distinct cultures to work with, the way halflings do, or the way elves and dwarves like to pretend they do.
I do think the Dragonborn need a little more work in developing their histories, they haven't really featured in novels which has been their undoing. However moving forward there have been plenty of subtypes of Dragonborn to develop:

Arkhosian: Heirs of a lost empire, millitaristic and honorable
Fear Walkers: Dragons who exude a dragon fear aura
Platinum Dragonborn: Born another race transformed by Bahamut
Draconians: Metallic dragons corrupted for nefarious ends
Storm Dragons: Savage dragonborn who live in tribes
Dray: Desert dwelling dragonborn

just a few plot threads that could be followed up on. Of course a more simple Metallic, and Chromatic variant of Dragonborn would also be interesting to develop.
For sub-races for Dragonborn you could go simple and base them off of 4th ED racial power choices: Dragonbreath and Dragonfear.

Make the Dragonbreath subrace get the +1 STR bonus and the Dragonfear subrace get the +1 CHA bonus.

Then decide what common perks you want them to have. I like the Ancient Insight, Dragon Slumber, and Dragon Fury with the +1 to attack rolls (or could give them advantage on attack rolls and saves when below 1/2 health). Low-light vision is something else I'd probably toss on there.

Dragonfear could be based off of the Cause Fear Lvl1 wizard spell, with the DC equal to 11 + CHA bonus and recharges after a short rest or long rest.

For Dragonbreath you could base them off of spells as well for desired breath attacks, such as:

* Lightning Breath -> Shocking grasp as a range attack. Breath attack equals 2 + STR

* Fire Breath -> Burning Hands with DC equals 11 + STR

* Cold Breath -> Ray of Frost. Breath attack equals 2 + STR

You could tweek the damage so that breath attacks line up with minor spell damage. Then they would be part of the characters attack choice for their action at any given time. Or align them more to a level 1 spell and have them recharge after a short or long rest.

Edit to add: Or you could make the bonus to Dragonbreath use CON mod as that may be more suiting.
You can't shoehorn a racial attack/DC onto a single stat, you gotta leave race write ups open for a broad array of classes and builds. In the case of dragon breath I'd advise STR/CON/CHA if we're not gonna make it just highest ability mod.

Also mac's list of Dragonborn subgroups is really clever. 
I guess it all comes down to how the players/DM feel about how they want things to work in their campaign world. CON seems like a nice fit for a Dragonborn to utilize Dragonbreath (just from the ol' huff and puff blow your house down angle), but I could see how a player may come up with a interesting concept where they can spew forth fire with the power of their personality I suppose. Those kinds of unique things tend to make memorable and interesting characters.

But usually it just seems to be an ends to the means of min-maxing for the best result. Which still nothing wrong with that, it all depends on how the folks involved like to play the game.
So it's min maxing to expect a Dragonborn rogue's breath weapon not to suck?

It's not min maxing, min maxing is something players do. Designers build the game and content, and the players use it.

The reason it's so important to offer multiple choices for this kind of thing is so that a Dragon born who isn't pumping constitution doesn't get stuck with a lame breath weapon. Now if you don't like offering multiple ability score options you can instead use a set scale based on level.
Don't know why it would have to suck? I guess it depends upon what suck means to player. So because you want to be a rogue you need to be able to use CHA for your ability? If that is the only reason to use that ability score then I think it is a little silly, I think it should mean something in some way. But hey if that is what works for the group, cool. I just don't buy into the everything has to yield to best possible result all the time thing.
No I could see the rogue using either str or cha for the ability, I just rarely see rogues with a decent con score.

Giving races abilities tied to a stat is problematic because it either pigeonholes them into classes that also use the stat, forces them to spend resources on an off-stat, or cripples said ability, this is especially important for attacks like the breath weapon because it needs to hit hard enough often enoughto be worth the action cost.

Not everything has to be the best, and I never said that, I said that there needs to be some flexibility and thought put into these designs. 
But wouldn't a dragonborn who dumped his CON down to say an 8 be a little weaker healthwise then one that had say a 14 in it? I could see that the weaker one may not have as potent as a breath as the other. Maybe the weaker one would be more of a sub-race that instead has a dragonfear power, where as the stronger brutal subrace has the breath weapon.

In the end, I guess I don't really care. Just offering up ideas for a small temporary patch for a playtest. I will let you all create final game write up. I am off to bed.

Edit: Sorry didn't see your last post. I see where I am not connecting. You are looking at the character as values of the abilities. It make sense to be the really good at your class certain values have to be at certain levels and ignore the others.

If I were to make a rogue dragonborn I don't see why I wouldn't put some weight into CON. With finesse weapon options I could have an agile harty rogue. Use DEX and CON. Skill Master helps out skills so I could decide how to weight Int over other abilities based on the concept. Is the character a charmer, perceptive, athletic, booksmart, ect.

I don't buy into the cookie cutter approach. If I want this I have to basically choose this. But like I said to each their own, and I am too tired to care. Nice chatting with you.
Why should everyone who wants to play a fire breathing dragon born have to ramp constitution? Besides the use of an array allows us to represent things that can be influenced multiple ability scores without complicating the math excessively.
Why should everyone who wants to play a fire breathing dragon born have to ramp constitution?

For the same reason that anyone who wants to use a greataxe optimally should have to ramp Strength.

Dragon breath is a specific weapon, and it works the way it works regardless of whether that's convenient for you or not.

A great axe is an external tool whose appeal is largely influenced by class. The Fire-breath is internal and needs to be useful to the vast majority of of dragon born. A racial ability needs to be useful regardless of class or build.

A compromise might be to nix the ability mods altogether and just have the breath scale by level.
A great axe is an external tool whose appeal is largely influenced by class. The Fire-breath is internal and needs to be useful to the vast majority of of dragon born. A racial ability needs to be useful regardless of class or build.

Like increased weapon damage?  There is already significant precedence for racial abilities that clearly favor one class over another.  Moreover, CON in specific is probably the least class- or build-centric stat, since all classes benefit from it as a secondary stat.

Like increased weapon damage?  There is already significant precedence for racial abilities that clearly favor one class over another.

Yes, the developers make mistakes, but mistakes exist to be learned from, not repeated. There has also been some backlash against features like increased weapon damage, so I wouldn't bet on seeing those make it into the final version.

Really, the claim that wanting more ability score options for Dragon Breath is born out of a desire to mix-max is astounding, because it's the exact opposite of the truth. I want Dragon Breath to be more useful to more classes so that I don't have to min-max in order for my basic racial features to be useful.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
One of my main issues is that the play test races are poorly constructed. 

While true con is probably the least objectionable single stat for a racial ability to be based on it's still a bad idea. 
For some reason, I thought they were getting away from that 4E-ism where everything you could possibly care about was all based on just one stat (slight hyperbole). 

Personally, I really like the idea that one Dragonborn fighter might be stronger in arms, or have more powerful spells, but another one might be less one-dimensional and make up for it with a stronger breath weapon.  If you just tie it to your highest stat, then what's the point of even tying it to anything?  Why not just scale with level, or something else that's equally arbitrary?
I know some people feel that way so that's why I suggested an array of 3 options instead of highest stat.

It's called compromise. Finding the balance point between my preference (highest stat), and yours (con only).

I'd also be up for scalign with level, that actually gives some design freedom I could use to make thigns more interesting, the catch is that it doesn't seem like the math is really finalized yet so it's a hard call to make. 
I could see something like spitting a glob (not line) of acid as a Dex-based ranged attack, or traditional deep-breath dragonfire as a regular Con-based cone effect, or... maybe something more explicitly magical that could pull on Charisma in some way. 

I just don't see any way to get that sort of effect to depend on your muscle mass (at least, not as long as Con is its own separate stat).
What's the point of even tying it to anything?  Why not just scale with level, or something else that's equally arbitrary?

I also want to know the answer to these questions. Why are we tying it to a stat to begin with? Why don't we just set it to a number and then let it self-scale? That sounds like a perfect solution to me.

I think that I'm gonna try my hand at this DDN Dragonborn. Expect me back shortly...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Ok dex/con/cha

don't really care which three 
All right, here's my first go at it...

DRAGON-BORN TRAITS
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Ancient Blood: When you roll one of your Hit Dice, you can always reroll a die result of 1 or 2.
Dragon Breath: At character creation, select a damage type from acid, cold, electric, fire, poison, or sonic.
When you take an action, you can also force every creature within a 15-foot cone originating from your space to succeed on a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or else take 1d6+3 damage of the selected damage type. Unattended objects within the area may also be affected depending on the selected damage type (fire may ignite papers, poison may cause plants to wilt, sonic may cause glass to shatter, etc.). You regain use of this ability when you take a short rest.
The saving throw DC for this attack increases by 1 at levels 4, 8, 12, etc. The damage for this attack increases by 1d6 at levels 3, 7, 11, etc. and by 3 at levels 5, 9, 13, etc.
Scales of War: You have resistance to the damage type that you selected for your Dragon Breath racial feature.

Dragon-Born of Bahamut
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma score increases by 1.
Wingspan: As a reaction when you fall, you can prevent all falling damage that you would take and land on your feet. As a part of this reaction, you can also glide such that you land up to half the distance that you fell away from where you would normally land. However, you cannot move on your next turn except by hustling if this distance exceeds your speed, and you cannot take your normal action on your next turn if this distance exceeds twice your speed. You might also slowly gain the ability to fly as you level up, but that's beyond the scope of the levels presented in this play-test anyway.

Dragon-Born of Tiamat
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Strength score increases by 1.
Fearsome: You have advantage on checks made to intimidate, threaten, or otherwise persuade through hostile action. Other creatures have disadvantage on such checks made against you.

I like it, which probably means everyone else will hate it.

Sorry CC. 
Another round of very nice suggestions.  I have also been toying with the idea of adding the breath weapon types specific quirks.

Cold = 1/2 movement until warmed up
Acid = Damage every round until washed off
Lightning = wearing/holding metal save is at disadvantage 

Things like that.

I am glad that we all agree one breath per encounter / need a short rest before you can do it again, that seems fair enough since they are not full dragons.

I guess we are hung up on Con being the basis for it because of breath being tied to health in our minds.  

I want the damage to scale the same or a little slower than the fighter expertise.  Because while the fighter can use it every round, the dragon breath can hit more that one creature, in theory wiping out around 8 creatures which seems really powerful early on and I don't want it packing too much punch at level 5.  

As for the attack roll I would say after looking at all of them        highest bonus of Str/Con/Dex(4e) + highest between Weapon Attack and Magic Attack
That way it will scale nicely and there is a wide range of skills that can be used there.  It if misses too much I will shift it to highest stat bonus. 

As always keep the ideas coming. This is awesome! 
I have also been toying with the idea of adding the breath weapon types specific quirks.

Cold = 1/2 movement until warmed up
Acid = Damage every round until washed off
Lightning = wearing/holding metal save is at disadvantage 

Things like that.

While that does sound really cool, I worry that it's just too complicated for the base race, and it also adds another layer of balance that needs to be considered. It seems like it would be great for a line of racial feats, though.

I want the damage to scale the same or a little slower than the fighter expertise.  Because while the fighter can use it every round, the dragon breath can hit more that one creature, in theory wiping out around 8 creatures which seems really powerful early on and I don't want it packing too much punch at level 5.

Try thinking of it more as a spell. That's what I did. Also, it has virtually zero chance of wiping out 8 creatures in one turn, even if it's damage were high enough to and everything failed their save. With a 15-foot cone, you're looking at two, maybe three creatures getting caught in the area if you're lucky.

I guess we are hung up on Con being the basis for it because of breath being tied to health in our minds.  
As for the attack roll I would say after looking at all of them highest bonus of Str/Con/Dex(4e) + highest between Weapon Attack and Magic Attack
That way it will scale nicely and there is a wide range of skills that can be used there.  It if misses too much I will shift it to highest stat bonus.

I think that you should seriously consider divorcing it completely from ability scores. Not only does it go a long way toward prevent pigeon-holing, but it also removes a layer of complexity, and the ability is already complicated enough as it is.

Any reason we can't go back to close blast 3?

You guys are awesome!

I think for first level, I will do with 1d6+(Highest Attack Rating) damage and just play it by ear from there as they level.
I will only be modeling the lighting breath since that is the only one I have to worry about for now.

Here is what I will use for this Saturday: (unless something is obviously broken for a 1st level character)

Dragon born
Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Ability Scores: +1 STR or CHR

Traits:

Dragon Breath: 15 foot cone, 1d6+(highest Attack Rating) Damage, Dex save vs (10+ highest attack rating)
Lighting damage means those wearing metal armor or holding metal weapons are at disadvantage.

Scales of War: You have resistance to the damage type that you selected for your Dragon Breath racial feature. (suggestion by Crimson_Concerto)

Ancient Insight: Advantage on insight rolls

Dragonborn Fury: +1 to attack rolls when under 1/2 health

Dragon slumber : After a long rest, a dragonborn may chose to slumbering. In dragon slumber, the dragonborn stops aging or needing to eat or drink. When sleeping or into dragon slumber, a dragonborn is considered awake for any check to perceive danger or to perceive an intrusion within 30 feet.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic. (suggestion by Monsieur_Moustache)

Also, special thanks to rampant for keeping ideas coming in and thinking about it long term.

I will report back on how the game turns out tomorrow.

Might wanna install a +1 to DCs of affects that lack attack rolls while using d-born fury, also instead fo highest attack rating (which could be miscontrued) try highest ability modifier (maybe with a +2 or +3 to set the mod).
I don't like that the shape is always a 15' cone. Maybe a 20' line for lightning, and a close burst 5' for sonic/thunder?

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Close blast 3, say it with me.

Cones and lines (especially short ones) are kind of a pain. Especially if you're tryign to balance them all agaisnt each other. Better to just set it to close blast three and make the other shapes feats or soemthing.