Izzet fun? Yes, yes it izz~!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crossposted from the Casual forum. If this is against the rules, mods, please, feel free to delete this thread.

So, I just got the Izzet/Golgari Duel Deck, and decided to have some fun with the Izzet deck. I like where it's going, but it's far too inconsistent for my group of players. Could you guys help me out?
Note that I've obviously edited it quite a bit already, but it's not good enough yet.

CREATURES: 14

2 x Delver of Secrets
2 x Izzet Chronarch
2 x Gelectrode
2 x Izzet Guildmage
2 x Wee Dragonauts
1 x Shrewd Hatchling
1 x Goblin Electromancer
1 x Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
1 x Djinn Illuminatus

INSTANTS: 8

3 x Searing Spear
1 x Izzet Charm
1 x Mental Misstep
1 x Mana Leak
1 x Brainstorm
1 x Thunderous Wrath

SORCERIES: 9

3 x Mind Sculpt
3 x Wild Guess
1 x Train of Thought
1 x Traitorous Blood
1 x Mark of Mutiny

ARTIFACTS: 2
1 x Isochron Scepter
1 x Izzet Signet

ENCHANTMENTS: 3
2 x Ghostly Touch
Quicksilver Dagger x1

LANDS: 24

10 x Island
9 x Mountain
2 x Izzet Boilerworks

1 x Forgotten Cave
1 x Lonely Sandbar
1 x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind

What do you guys think? Decent start? Total shite? Please, help me out, here!
In terms of being playable in a Modern tournament (which this section is supposed to be used for), it's completely unplayable.  Especially since Mental Misstep, Brainstorm, Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar aren't legal in Modern.

For it to start being playable, you need an actual plan.  Do you plan on beating down with Delver, while protecting it with counters and clearing the way with removal?  Do you want to grind out an advantage with Isochron Scepter and gain control with counters/removal?  Do you want to try to get a very fast start and burn your opponent out from there?  Without knowing what you actually want the deck to do, it's impossible to help you design it to be better.
In terms of being playable in a Modern tournament (which this section is supposed to be used for), it's completely unplayable.  Especially since Mental Misstep, Brainstorm, Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar aren't legal in Modern.

For it to start being playable, you need an actual plan.  Do you plan on beating down with Delver, while protecting it with counters and clearing the way with removal?  Do you want to grind out an advantage with Isochron Scepter and gain control with counters/removal?  Do you want to try to get a very fast start and burn your opponent out from there?  Without knowing what you actually want the deck to do, it's impossible to help you design it to be better.

The idea I had was to exploit Niv-mizzet's mechanic, as well as the other creatures and such I have that do similar things, in order to get and maintain card advantage, as well as a slow but steady stream of damage to my opponent. I mostly need help figuring out what sorts of sorceries and instants to load up on, since my focus is pretty much shattered on this one.

Thank in advance.