[RTR-ICD] Martial Law

58 posts / 0 new
Last post

Martial Law
Enchantment - Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep detain one target creature your opponent controls.
(Until your next turn, That creature can not attack or block and Their activated abilities can not be activated.)

Source: Magic Madrid

Whoa. Azorius is quietly creeping up to be amazing.

edit: I meant in limited
What's rare about Trip Noose? (Not that I mind seeing these sorts of cards less often...)
This card is utterly unexciting.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
What's rare about Trip Noose? (Not that I mind seeing these sorts of cards less often...)

This is not trip noose. this is a slow pacifism that can change target once per turn.
this is a slow pacifism that can change target once per turn.

Then what is Trip Noose?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Oh, hey there Prison Term, you've gotten slightly more versatile. Except the whole giving time for your opponent's Wellwishers to activate in the gaps.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Then what is Trip Noose?

worth of poo.
This? This is basically a Journey to Nowhere that can retarget itself. Me gusta.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

Then what is Trip Noose?

A tapper that requires you to sink mana every turn is not a pacifism
A tapper that requires you to sink mana every turn is not a pacifism

Incorrect. Pacifism does not stifle abilities.

At the end of the day, Martial Law is just another Icy Manipulator that can't hit land and fails to deal with Dark Confidant.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:

And that makes trap noose a pacifism how?

At the end of the day, Martial Law is just another Icy Manipulator that can't hit land and fails to deal with Dark Confidant.

martial law and icy manipulator are two completely differnet effects...one is a removal and the other a tapper.

Wow this is actually a really great utility card.  I could totally see uw flyers as a new std deck to be on the lookout for.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Little bit too expensive for what it does imho. D:
But I'm sure someone somewhere will love this.
a slightly better Prison Term
at 4 it is a bit expensive and unlike actual removal it still doesn't remove all threat a creature poses

on the other hand, removal would allow Golgari to scavenge
proud member of the 2011 community team

And that makes trap noose a pacifism how?

I was being witty.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I think it is playable. This means every turn you can keep their biggest guy from attacking or blocking. And if you have other detain effects, this is even more helpful. Keeps their threats under control while your own guys go to work, or helps you stall/control til you can get the win.
Looks like a bad [CARD]Oblivion Ring[/CARD] to me.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

not entirely sure why this is rare and costs 4...

Oblivion Ring's effect ends when it leaves play. Martial Law's lingers for a turn. Oblivion Ring can only deal with one threat. Martial Law can switch targets when necessary.

Martial Law is far more flexible than Oblivion Ring is.

That being said, I still don't know if it is playable. In EDH, however, it permanently locks down opposing generals without removing them from play. This is pretty good deal.
Not terribly exciting but could be useful/annoying to play with/against.
"Martial Law", great name (if it's official) but slapped on not so good card
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
My Numot EDH deck didn't have enough ways to lock down pesky opponents' cards.  Will definitely enjoy this one.
Really boring rare.

8 o-rings sounds pretty nasty to me
Flavour text roughly translates to:

"The good of society matters much more than the inconvenience of a few."

or

"The needs of the many outwiegh the needs of the few."  
-Agmand Sarv, Azorius Hussar

Flavour text roughly translates to:

"The good of society matters much more than the inconvenience of a few."

or

"The needs of the many outwiegh the needs of the few."  
-Agmand Sarv, Azorius Hussar

the most accurate of the 2 would be the second one
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/7f93181f0a4ee0953e8ae20da960a876.jpg?v=90000)
I think everyone is really underestimating Detain.  It's strong enough to take away your opponent's best blocker...but with all the instances of Detain that we are seeing, it's going to be pretty easy to stop 3 or 4 each turn.  That's just silly, you have to have an insane army to keep up with Azorius.  This might go down as one of the most annoying abilities ever, even tho it doesn't look that crazy now.    

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."  
-Agmand Sarv, Azorius Hussar Spock

Fixed. I guess we all knew Spock was Azorius.
For the cost of 4 mana, it should also be able to detain artifacts, lands, or Planeswalkers.
This is nice. Unlike cards like Prison Term you can still Wrath the board, and if you do it makes it incredibly hard for your opponent to stabilize (now you have to play TWO relevant threats). Not good against red decks though. Also, insane in limited.
Anyone who plays this and doesn't shout "I am the law!" while doing so is doing something wrong.
Anyone who plays this and doesn't shout "I am the law!" while doing so is doing something wrong.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

Taken by itself this card is just 'ok'. But I think a deck full of detain effects could be really annoying for your opponent, and this one has potential to be the most annoying of all.

This is a silghtly better Arrest.

This will work well in a control deck, after gate crash is released.
 Mutilate and control what they can attack/defend with/ or shut down abilities.

You can use this to shut down stuff like golgari lich lord, or populate selesnya.

You don't even need 4 of these on the board, just 2 of them. 
The catch about this card is simple: for it to be good, you need to stabilize first and most of the time it means you must have successfully cleared the board first (and be able to withstand your opponent's single hit with his next creature).

I doubt the actual cardpool let a control deck stabilize in that way, since the available sweepers can be played around with Undying, flash and regeneration for Supreme Verdict.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
This is nice. Unlike cards like Prison Term you can still Wrath the board, and if you do it makes it incredibly hard for your opponent to stabilize (now you have to play TWO relevant threats). Not good against red decks though. Also, insane in limited.

I was waiting for someone to mention this! Comparing Martial Law to all sorts of Auras is totally wrong. The Icy Manipulator comaparison is easily the best for this card. 

Basically Martial Law is amazing with board sweepers. It forces your opponent to overextend and basically keeps them out of the game post-Wrath. 
Love the flavor. Love the art. The actual card is not terribly exciting, but fun.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

Well, it's free...And detain keeps away annoying abilities that don't require a tap. In Modern, detain can avert too.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I was waiting for someone to mention this! Comparing Martial Law to all sorts of Auras is totally wrong. The Icy Manipulator comaparison is easily the best for this card. 

Basically Martial Law is amazing with board sweepers. It forces your opponent to overextend and basically keeps them out of the game post-Wrath. 

Let me explain something to you.

Icy manip. Isn't the best comparision because it taps a artifact, creature, or land. Also it's not standard legal (yes I know not everyone plays standard, but why compair icy which isn't in standard to something that is?)

This enchantment effectly lets u Arrest a chr every turn, and change target each turn if u choose to. More important to shot down a creature ability then to just tap it. 
If You're playing control, you wont want to tap a creature, and still allow it's mana activations to be used.
Golgari, Liche Lord, jace, Draconias, selesnya. etc etc

If your using this in a none control deck there is something wrong with your ability to build a deck.

You need to use this when u can lock them down, stopping that white attack put 2-3 token generate out of business, stopping that 15/15 about to stump a hole in your butt, even thou the titans are rotation out of standard, this would stop their rampaging!

What if it doesn't stop artifacts, and lands. This is still a great card to stop problem creatures.
I like this.

I mean I really, really like this. ;)

...but not that much.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!

Golgari, Liche Lord

Pretty sure you mean Jerad, Golgari Lich lord
Golgari is a guild, not a guy. 
Let me explain something to you.

Let me explain something to you: You know where your word processor says "Check spelling"? /condescension

Icy manip. Isn't the best comparision because it taps a artifact, creature, or land. Also it's not standard legal (yes I know not everyone plays standard, but why compair icy which isn't in standard to something that is?)

This enchantment effectly lets u Arrest a chr every turn, and change target each turn if u choose to. More important to shot down a creature ability then to just tap it. 
If You're playing control, you wont want to tap a creature, and still allow it's mana activations to be used.
Golgari, Liche Lord, jace, Draconias, selesnya. etc etc

If your using this in a none control deck there is something wrong with your ability to build a deck.

You need to use this when u can lock them down, stopping that white attack put 2-3 token generate out of business, stopping that 15/15 about to stump a hole in your butt, even thou the titans are rotation out of standard, this would stop their rampaging!

What if it doesn't stop artifacts, and lands. This is still a great card to stop problem creatures.

That's hardly a thing though. In a world without Primeval Titan, 11-drops aren't a thing. Who told you 11-drops were a thing?

But yeah, detain is strictly better than a tapper.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt