Hybrid Race Rules (PEACH)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since we already have Hybrid Class rules i've come up with a decent rules for creating hybrid races for my playing group. This is what i've come up with so far, so i figured I'd put it up here and see what all of you think. PEACH would be extremely appriciated.

Hybrid Race Rules

Height: Take the lesser average range of the chosen races
Weight: Take the lesser average range of the chosen races

Ability Scores: Take the dominate score from both chosen races. If the races share the same dominate score, chose between one of the two secondary traits from either race.
Size: Take the better size out of the two races.
Speed: Take the lesser speed out of the two races.
Vision: take the better vision out of the two races.

Languages: Common, and select one from the chosen races.

Additional Traits: Chose 3 traits. 1 gained from first chosen race, 1 gained from second race, and a final one chosen from either

Racial Power: Chose one from either chosen race.

EXAMPLE:

Half-Drow

First Race - Human

Second Race - Drow

Height:
Weight:

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma (Drow), +2 Dexterity (Human)
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light vision

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonus: +2 Stealth (Drow) +2 taining in one other skill (Human)

Additional Traits:
1 Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin. (Drow)
2 Human Defense Bonuses: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. (Human)
3 Trance:Rather than sleep, drow enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal. (Drow)

Racial Power: Cloud of Darkness (Drow Racial Power)

html_removed

I like what you have done so far! Me and a friend where actually talking about this subject some time ago. 
Have a few questions though

1) Why choose the lesser of the two racial speeds? 
2) Does a hybrid race count as both races in regards to taking Feats or PPs
3) When you take Additional Traits do you just take everyone from both races or pick and choose (Example- would every drow-human always be of Fae Origin?)

All and all I think you have done a very complete job.
Of course there are going to be people who are going to argue that some races "Couldn't breed" with one another (Shardmind-dwarfs for example) But I'm a firm believer that if you have a healthy imagination you can find a way to make anything happen/work. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Additional Traits: Chose 3 traits. 1 gained from first chosen race, 1 gained from second race, and a final one chosen from either

Not all traits are created equal and, as written, you could easily end up with races that are bit too strong. 

Races get two mechanically signficant traits, and zero or more of what are essentially fluff traits with little or no mechanical impact.  Picking three traits would allow you to cherry pick the most mechanically significant traits and make yourself stronger than either parent race.

You would need to identify which traits are which and only allow the hybrid race to have two of the mechanically significant ones.  That wouldn't be hard at all though.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Sign In to post comments