Ardent Strike and Divine Sanction

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Already posted in the character optimization thread, but just in case no one looks there I thought I'd post here too.

If my base class is Blackguard, and I pick up Ardent Strike as an at-will attack (suppose I'm Human for this argument), do I gain the benefit of Divine Sanction while using that attack? My GM argues that I don't. I was curious if there's an official source on this.

Divine Sanction is applied directly by powers that say they apply it, regardless of how it was acquired. DS is not a paladin class feature so even a half-elf of another class taking Ardent Strike still applies DS to the target because the power says it does.
 (Also, don't confuse Divine Sanction, which is only ever applied directly through the use of a power, with the paladin's Divine Challenge marking mechanic...)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Already posted in the character optimization thread, but just in case no one looks there I thought I'd post here too.

If my base class is Blackguard, and I pick up Ardent Strike as an at-will attack (suppose I'm Human for this argument), do I gain the benefit of Divine Sanction while using that attack? My GM argues that I don't. I was curious if there's an official source on this.

The power does what it says.  It says you apply Divine Sanction.  I have to ask, why a blackguard rather than a paladin of some unaligned or evil god, or an avenger.  Much better classes, and both can tank better.

For the record, DS is a condition ANYONE can apply, if they have powers that apply it, just like Marked or Slowed.

Divine CHALLENGE requires the Divine Challenge power (exclusively, I believe, I'm pretty sure there's no other way to apply it at all).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

The power does what it says.  It says you apply Divine Sanction.  I have to ask, why a blackguard rather than a paladin of some unaligned or evil god, or an avenger.  Much better classes, and both can tank better.

I'm primarily a striker, but I'm grabbing one or two abilities to give me some flexibility as a defender.