Cleric and glaive

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi everyone

i'd like to know if i create a cleric and equip him with a glaive (glaive proficiency), will i still be able to use powers like "lance of faith" "dauntingh light" and such or i need an implement?
You don't NEED an implement to use those powers, but without a magical implement they'll slowly fall behind in accuracy and damage as you gain levels. There's nothing specific to weapon types about this: a mace or dagger doesn't function as an implement for a cleric either.
I highly recommend MCing swordmage, which will let you use the glaive as an implement.
I highly recommend MCing swordmage, which will let you use the glaive as an implement.

Or use Gritty Sergeant background for glaive proficiency and Elemental Initiate them for Ki Focus and an off turn swipe. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

hi everyone

i'd like to know if i create a cleric and equip him with a glaive (glaive proficiency), will i still be able to use powers like "lance of faith" "dauntingh light" and such or i need an implement?

Remember, a holy symbol implement doesn't require a hand, so you can wield a glaive AND your holy symbol without any problem. I'm not sure polearm builds of cleric are the MOST effective though. Glaive is rather a dex/str sort of weapon ideally (as you want the polearm gamble and heavy blade opportunity feats typically).

As others have said, you can MC swordmage and use your glaive as an implement, which isn't a bad idea, but doesn't do anything incredible for you otherwise (there's little stat synergy between SM and Cleric).

Anyway, doing a basic STR cleric or Warpriest and slinging around a glaive is certainly not going to be bad. It is no worse than swinging a mace etc. There are more effective 2 handed weapons, but the difference is not that huge.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I am betting the OP only has access to PHB1 from his question.  Nuetronium dragons answer is the best in that case.

If so, the only reason you want a glaive as a cleric in PHB1 is if you can qualify for heavy blade opportunist or any other heavy blade or polearm feats.  That takes some stat investment, but polearm gamble and heavy blade opporunity combine well in that case.  And it gives you access to Holy Avenger in epic, which is the only weapon implement for clerics if just using PHB1. 

Otherwise you should go for a spiked chain if you are going to spend a feat for a better weapon or maybe a greatsword if you want +3 with heavy blade feats instead of reach.
Sign In to post comments