Liliana--Pack Rat

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does Liliana of the Dark Realms have good synergy with Pack Rat? Seems like you could fetch for a land each turn, and then toss it to Pack Rat, making a token, and growing them at the same time. is this just wishful thinking? I would assume that it would have to be either Mono Black or maybe Black/Blue Control or Black/Red Control? You are going to certainly need removal, but having card draw will also be important since you don't want to be top-decking. I think that Blue/Black would be the best route to accomplish this or possibly G/B since G/B seems to be pretty powerful thus far with what I've seen.

Liliana 3 isn't good and neither is pack rat.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Actually I don't think Pack Rat is that bad.  It's kind of funny and is really flavorful of rats to say the least.

However, Liliana of the Dark Realms IS bad.  I'd run Garruk Relentless before Lili 3.  Sacrificing rat tokens to search for a fatty is uber awesome.  Just figure out a way to handle flyers and other creatures that the rats can't block (Abrupt Decay, Vraska, Murder, splash red for dreadbore and maybe Zealous Conscripts for the board).

Pack Rat could be a good second discard outlet to Liliana of the Veil for some fun reanimation action.  Just my two cents.
Actually I don't think Pack Rat is that bad.... really flavorful

Remind me not to eat at your place!
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
^^Lol.
I love Lilly 3, but I don't really think her and Rats would make the best combo. Yes, you get lands every turn and can do some really silly things with her second ability, but that's about it. Also, she is a ton better in just Mono-black, which is going to be a little sub-par because RtR basically wants you to be playing 2+colors.

Can you make this deck? Yes. Will it win you a lot of games? Probably not. My only suggestion is to put in that 1/1 black creature that is unblockable (always forget his name) and abuse him with Lilly and the black ring that came out in M13. No one ever sees it coming.
I love Lilly 3, but I don't really think her and Rats would make the best combo. Yes, you get lands every turn and can do some really silly things with her second ability, but that's about it. Also, she is a ton better in just Mono-black, which is going to be a little sub-par because RtR basically wants you to be playing 2+colors.

Can you make this deck? Yes. Will it win you a lot of games? Probably not. My only suggestion is to put in that 1/1 black creature that is unblockable (always forget his name) and abuse him with Lilly and the black ring that came out in M13. No one ever sees it coming.

That sounds pretty funny with Tormented Soul. My initial idea with Lily 3 was to fetch a land and then discard it to Pack Rat, assuming I don't actually need a land, which makes a token and keeps pumping them up. Lily 3 also would like Mutilate as a control sense, and you can actually still run 2 colors with her, such as Green, because Lily can fetch Overgrown Tomb, or any other B/x land thats also a Swamp that may come out later on. Granted it would only be a small splash, as to not take away from her effectiveness overall. But it would certainly be funny to have out Vraska and 7 counters, then Mutilate, then pop her -7, next turn you will probably win, Lol. The rats are kind of just like blockers that seem hard to get rid of, especially if I can pitch a land to it each time on their turn in response to any removal. IDK, i'm not completely committed to the idea, but I'd like Pack Rat to work because it seems pretty funny.
Lili 3 is gonna be the key ingredient in a 5 colour black deck everyone is gonna get blindsided by, watch. The ability to tutor every one of the shocks in a primary colour easily capable of gaining the life back can't go unabused forever, someone will crack it.

As for Pack Rats, I've already got a draw intensive control build utilising them on the way, I think they've got potential. Keep back a counter for a board clearer and there is no way to stop them, as the token the original makes can just create another token and so on until you've got critical mass. And there are ways for black to abuse loads of bodies...

Also, Underworld Connections, Desecration Demon, Bloodgift Demon and Disciple of Bolas will be in the deck. 
I want to be Cultured.
Lili 3 is gonna be the key ingredient in a 5 colour black deck everyone is gonna get blindsided by, watch. The ability to tutor every one of the shocks in a primary colour easily capable of gaining the life back can't go unabused forever, someone will crack it.

As for Pack Rats, I've already got a draw intensive control build utilising them on the way, I think they've got potential. Keep back a counter for a board clearer and there is no way to stop them, as the token the original makes can just create another token and so on until you've got critical mass. And there are ways for black to abuse loads of bodies...

Also, Underworld Connections, Desecration Demon, Bloodgift Demon and Disciple of Bolas will be in the deck. 

Exactly along what I was thinking. Might try to throw in a couple clone effects like Cackling Counterpart until some other stuff comes out, but the 1UU does worry me a little since it would be mainly Swamps to make Lily useful. Like I said, it isn't a for sure kind of idea, but I know the 2 core cards are Pack Rat and Lily 3, as well as other control-ish cards like maybe Mutilate or something like that.
Oh, no I was saying that I think Lili is gonna be big in a deck that nobody will see coming, but I don't think she'll be much use here. If you want to make use of her as an engine in a U/B control deck, then you'll definitely need to wait for Watery Grave to happen.
I want to be Cultured.
Depends what you're trying to do OP, Liliana of the Dark Realms is a fine card for thinning out your deck and getting good mana for activations. With Pack Rat and Lili as a core, I'd look for mana intensive ways of getting ahead and polishing your land composition. I wouldn't play monoblack however, given that it will have limited support in the formats to arise.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I think a neater synergy is Underworld Connections.
Photobucket
Depends what you're trying to do OP, Liliana of the Dark Realms is a fine card for thinning out your deck and getting good mana for activations. With Pack Rat and Lili as a core, I'd look for mana intensive ways of getting ahead and polishing your land composition. I wouldn't play monoblack however, given that it will have limited support in the formats to arise.

What color do you think would be the most effective in using along Lily then? I mean Blue is an obviously control color, and B/R seems to have some good spoiled cards thus far. It is obviously hard to tell right now since not everything has been spoiled. Blue also has card draw, which is always nice. The fact that you don't get the BU dual land yet kind of sucks, but oh well. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

EDIT:
I think I am going to shelve Lily 3 until some of the other Swamp/X lands come out later in Ravnica's block. How about possibly going with a B/W token deck, still utilizing Pack Rat, as well as Underworld Connections, since gaining life shouldn't be too hard with the utility land (whose name escapes me right this second). Plus this lets me use Sorin, Lord of Innistrad. Might just be wishful thinking.
If I wanted to play a Black control deck post-rotation I'd be jumping onto BUG because of how atrociously powerful Abrupt Decay and Forbidden Alchemy are. And it also doesn't hurt that :G: brings good removal (Naturalize, Crushing Vines, Bramblecrush) and game stopping critters (Thragtusk etc). I would avoid playing more than a few discard or counterspells though.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
If I wanted to play a Black control deck post-rotation I'd be jumping onto BUG because of how atrociously powerful Abrupt Decay and Forbidden Alchemy are. And it also doesn't hurt that :G: brings good removal (Naturalize, Crushing Vines, Bramblecrush) and game stopping critters (Thragtusk etc). I would avoid playing more than a few discard or counterspells though.

That sounds like a definite possibility, Just would have to get my hands on some Overgrown Tombs as well as the B/U Ravnica dual when it comes out. BG definitely has some really awesome cards coming out, so it will certainly be very highly played by lots of people, but that may be the way to go to stay competitive.

That sounds like a definite possibility, Just would have to get my hands on some Overgrown Tombs as well as the B/U Ravnica dual when it comes out. BG definitely has some really awesome cards coming out, so it will certainly be very highly played by lots of people, but that may be the way to go to stay competitive.

I wouldn't presume so much, in all likelyhood by November people are going to be kicking themselves for paying $40 per Bonfire and preordering Abrupt Decay for $15. They're fine cards but their meta advent may be coming full circle.
Good point, I'm not planning on pre-ordering any of the singles, let alone the ones that are now pretty pricey. I'm just hoping that the box I pre-ordered has some goodies in it.