9/11/2012 SF: "The Izzet Strike Back"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
"It isn't upheaval... but it feels just as powerful"

What a laughable statement. It may be a reasonable card but it feels like absolute trash next to Upheaval.  
Just be glad this isn't in the same Standard format as Primeval Titan. Turn 4 Titan, turn 5 bounce all your stuff?
Yikes... the thing that gets me is how easily you can splash for this thing.  Toss a few islands into any old deck and you can bounce every non-land permanent you don't control?  I would have at least put two U in the card's actual cost to make it not quite such an easy splash.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
"It isn't upheaval... but it feels just as powerful"

What a laughable statement. It may be a reasonable card but it feels like absolute trash next to Upheaval.  

Dude. Go back to the card, and read the word directly to the left of the expansion symbol. Then come back and tell me this is "absolute trash next to Upheaval".

I'd say that this is even stronger than Upheaval, because it doesn't rely on 9 mana and Psychatog to go off. All it needs is 7 mana and some modest amount of board presence. This card is absolutely insane. It would be respectable enough at Sorcery speed. Right now, it's Instant-speed tempo early on, and Instant-speed game-ender later on. Instead of wiping your opponent's board and then swinging with everything, you can wipe your opponent's board, swing with everything, and then pass turn with seven mana untapped.

I can't overemphasize just how incredible this card is. Any kind of slower, more controlling deck will run this for sure.
Cool, a control card.

But it's not a creature and doesn't really benefit aggro, so it's probably completely irrelevant. Nevermind eh!

Edit: Wizards people surely can't be actually surprised that the fattest chunk of the playerbase likes U/X and then every other colour? Give Blue the best toys consistently enough and that's what happens. 

On the subject of giving Blue the best toys though, I must tip my hat at Vraska... Putting her directly next to Jace like that quite clearly shows the huge amount of disparity between their power levels. 
I want to be Cultured.
Cool, a control card.

But it's not a creature and doesn't really benefit aggro, so it's probably completely irrelevant. Nevermind eh!

Edit: Wizards people surely can't be actually surprised that the fattest chunk of the playerbase likes U/X and then every other colour? Give Blue the best toys consistently enough and that's what happens. 

On the subject of giving Blue the best toys though, I must tip my hat at Vraska... Putting her directly next to Jace like that quite clearly shows the huge amount of disparity between their power levels. 

It rewards any deck that has creatures. It rewards any deck that needs to stabilize. It does so at instant speed, and is highly splashable.  This card will be very relevant indeed.
I agree that it is not nearly as powerful as Upheaval.  Sure you needed 9 mana, but it also WON YOU THE GAME since your opponent would have nothing, no permanents at all, nada.  This new card atleast leaves them their land so they will just replay some things on their next turn.  Still can be brutal against the right decks, but still not as  powerful as Upheaval by a long shot (which I am fine with)!!!
Jace is such a tool.
While I hoped to see more Boros out there, Izzet taking almost 20% alone is pretty stunning. In fact, more than half of you answered that some sort of blue-tainted guild is where you belong.

What a twist.
Actually, I thought last week poll had the problem of being multi-interpretable does; "Which Ravnica guild do you match up with?" mean: Which Ravnica guild is most like you? or: Which Ravnica guild would you like to play most? 

Dude. Go back to the card, and read the word directly to the left of the expansion symbol. Then come back and tell me this is "absolute trash next to Upheaval".

I'd say that this is even stronger than Upheaval, because it doesn't rely on 9 mana and Psychatog to go off. All it needs is 7 mana and some modest amount of board presence. This card is absolutely insane. It would be respectable enough at Sorcery speed. Right now, it's Instant-speed tempo early on, and Instant-speed game-ender later on. Instead of wiping your opponent's board and then swinging with everything, you can wipe your opponent's board, swing with everything, and then pass turn with seven mana untapped.

I can't overemphasize just how incredible this card is. Any kind of slower, more controlling deck will run this for sure.

Spoken like someone who passes Upheaval in MTGO cubes. I'm quite aware that it is an instant and I was when I first read it; and my statement absolutely stands. Upheaval outright wins the game 95% of the time when it is cast; Psychatog was the most efficient way to do it at the time, sure, but it wasn't required and it wasn't the lynchpin of the deck. 

This unsummons everything they have for a lot of mana; a strong effect to be sure, but not an instantly game-winning one like Upheaval. On a 5 point scale Upheaval is a 5.0 and this is a 3.5. 
Is it weird that that Blood Oath made me think "Well, maybe to combo with Jace, Memory Adept, but I could do so much more with Jace."
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
WHhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Oh this card is ridonk. Eheheheheh...and I have a 5-color EDH deck waiting for this bad boy.  Just gotta figure out what to pluck out first. =D

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.