Some questions from a newbie

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I only just started to play this a few days ago and have a few questions that me and my friends have thought of - I have tried searching the forums but its quite difficult to find a straight answer.

1)  do tokens benefit from enchantments and such, for example a card which gives +1/+1 to all creatures

2)   when you soulbond a card that has an enchantment (eg from an artifact +4/+4), does the soulbond card also get the +4/+4 or only the abilities that are on the card itself 

3)   could someone explain the burden of guilt card to me (sorry im not sure how to link cards)

4)  necrogen censer - will it accumulate more counters each turn ot is this card effectively only used 2x, i.e tap and attack, remove counter - and repeat next go  - then remove card? 

5)  terrifying presence - does this mean u stop all damage except for 1 target of my choice? 

6)  is trepanation blade a permanent? (just it does not say until end of turn)

7) with the chronomaton card - does the tapping +1/+1 counter stack each time?

8)  with wall of fire for example can you tap your unused lands whilst you defend, and does the tapped fire stack or is it a one off - eg. if i had 4 mountain land tapped for it will it gain +4

9) can i stack staff of nin - eg have 3 then each turn draw 3 extra cards?

and finally what does resolve mean? (sorry was reading it a bunch and was unsure... does it just mean when the card goes to graveyard?)

Thank you so much for any help, I know people must get annoyed with this kind of stuff - but I am really enjoying the game and would like to know and understand better.          

if someone could explain how to add quick links to cards ill be happy to modify my post - thanks again

1)  do tokens benefit from enchantments and such, for example a card which gives +1/+1 to all creatures

Yes - anything that's a "creature token", from Lingering Souls for example, is both a creature and a token, so that will work fine.

2)   when you soulbond a card that has an enchantment (eg from an artifact +4/+4), does the soulbond card also get the +4/+4 or only the abilities that are on the card itself 

Soulbond only does what it says - it grants the abilities it specifically mentions in the soulbond ability. Any other bonuses don't get shared.

3)   could someone explain the burden of guilt card to me (sorry im not sure how to link cards)

Burden of Guilt
You play the enchantment enchanting a creature (generally one your opponent controls, though it doesn't have to be). Then, whenever you like you can pay 1 colorless mana to tap the creature - the normal uses for this will be tapping an opponent's creature before you attack so he can't block, or tapping it during the beginning of your opponent's turn so he can't attack you with it.

4)  necrogen censer - will it accumulate more counters each turn ot is this card effectively only used 2x, i.e tap and attack, remove counter - and repeat next go  - then remove card?  

Necrogen Censer
On its own, it just has two uses and then it just sits there not doing much. But if, for example, you have cards with proliferate (Throne of Geth) or other methods of putting more charge counters on it (Power Conduit) you can get more use from it. 
5)  terrifying presence - does this mean u stop all damage except for 1 target of my choice? 

Terrifying Presence
Basically yes. Both player's creatures won't deal any damage with the exception of the one you targeted.

Trepanation Blade

It's ability gives some number of +1/+0 "until end of turn", but the artifact itself stays around, equipped to the creature, and will trigger again (for a different amount of +1/+0) the next turn.

Chronomaton
Yes, it puts a +1/+1 counter on it, which is permanent (it doesn't mention "until end of turn"). The next turn, you can put an additional counter on it and so on.
8)  with wall of fire for example can you tap your unused lands whilst you defend, and does the tapped fire stack or is it a one off - eg. if i had 4 mountain land tapped for it will it gain +4

You can activate the abilities of creatures as many times as you have mana to pay for it, and whenever you have priority. Wall of Fire doesn't have any restrictions on how many times you can play it (see Basking Rootwalla) so you could indeed give it +4.

Staff of Nin - yes, if you had three of them they'd each trigger each turn, and you'd draw a card for each.

and finally what does resolve mean? (sorry was reading it a bunch and was unsure... does it just mean when the card goes to graveyard?)
You cast a spell (creatures are also spells), and after choosing targets and paying costs, it goes on the stack. Everyone can then play spells and abilities in response to it, before it takes effect - once everyone passes, the spell "resolves". If it's an instant or sorcery, its effects happen and it then goes to the graveyard. If it's a creature or other permanent, when it resolves it goes on to the battlefield and is ready for use.

Hope this helps!

Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
Wow thanks for the quick reply - you were very helpful - thank you sooo much, just quick question how do you actually quick link cards in the forum posts - I have been trying for the past 15 minutes with no success

1) Yes, they do, creature tokens are creatures.

2) Soulbonding shares only what is specificied as being shared. If you soulbond a Storm Crow and a Druid's Familiar, both creatures get +2/+2 but only the Crow has flying. If the Crow is also enchanted with Mark of the Vampire, only the Crow itself gets the +2/+2 and the lifelink.

3) Burden of Guilt is an aura, you cast it targeting something it can enchant - a creature. It enters the battlefield enchanting that creature.
You should put Burden of Guilt on an opponent's creature. You still control Burden, so you can activate its ability to tap the creature you enchanted.
You do so to prevent the creature to attack you (tap it during your opponent's turn, before he gets to declare attackers), or to prevent it from using its own abilities (tap your opponent's Somberwald Sage it during his upkeep, when he can't cast creatures so he can't just tap the Sage in response and use the mana).

4) Necrogen Censer - nothing says it gets more counters each turn, so it doesn't. You need to use other cards like Contagion Clasp to give it more counters, otherwise you only get to use it twice.
And even after all counters are gone, the Censer stays on the battlefield, basicaly doing nothing.

5) Terrifying Presence - yes.

6) Trepanation Blade is an artifact, and artifacts are permanents, so yes. And when you equip a creature with it, the Blade stays there until you equip it to some other creature.
But if you're talking about its effect, it does say 'until end of turn' for the +1/+0 part.

7) Chronomaton - yes, these counters are cumulative.

8) Yes, you can activate Wall of Fire's ability multiple times, yes, paying its cost each time (one red mana each time). The effect is cumulative.

9) Each Staff of Nin works separately. If you control three, each one will let you draw an extra card, so yes you're drawing three additional cards each turn.

10) Resolving is a spell's or ability's effect happens. For example you cast (play from your hand) Searing Spear targeting your opponent, it is a instant spell. Your opponent may respond (countering it with Mana Leak or something like that). If no-one counters the spell, it resolves, on this case the damage is dealt.

Or you active Wall of Fire's ability, your opponent may respond, if he doesn't counter the ability resolves giving +1/+0 to the Wall. Each activation resolves separately.

For permanents like Staff of Nin or Wall of Fire itself (not its ability, but playing the card from your hand), resolving means entering the battlefield.

[<o>]

Token creatures will be affected by enchantments that affect creatures unless the enchantment specifically says non-token creatures.

Two creatures paired via souldbond will get any benefit which the card says they get when they are paired.  For example:

A Grizzly Bear paired with a Druid's Familiar will give both creatures +2/+2
A Trusted Forcemage paired with a Druid's Familiar will give both creatures +3/+3
A Wolfir Silverheart paired with a Silverblade Palladin will give both creatures +4/+4 and double strike

You cast it on one of your opponent's creatures.  Then, you can pay 1 any time you have priority to tap that creature eg when they anounce that they are ready to declare attackers.  Then they can't attack with that creature that turn, unless they can untap it some how.

Unless you add more counters somehow, you will only get to use it twice.  There is nothing on the card that says it leaves the battlefield when the counters are all removed so it will stick around for metalcraft effects etc.

You target one creature with Terrifying Presence.  Only that creature will deal combat damage this turn.  Note that other kinds of damage will still be dealt, and if your target is removed in response then Terrifying Presence will be countered by the game rules for having no legal targets

Trepanation Blade is a permanent, but it's effect will last until the end of the turn.

Each time you activate the ability an additional counter is placed on the Chronomaton.  After two activations your Chronomaton will be a 3/3

You can activate an ability as many times as you can pay the cost unless it specifically says otherwise.  You can use it any time you could play an instant, again, unless it says otherwise on the card.

Yes

From the comprehensive rules:

Resolve

When the spell or ability on top of the stack “resolves,” its instructions are followed and it has its effect.
See rule 608, “Resolving Spells and Abilities.”

Wow thanks for the quick reply - you were very helpful - thank you sooo much, just quick question how do you actually quick link cards in the forum posts - I have been trying for the past 15 minutes with no success

[c*]Staff of Nin[*/c] without the *s gives you Staff of Nin 

[<o>]

Yes. A creature token is a creature, so anything that affects all creatures will affect it. Note that some effects say "nontoken creature" etc, and those obviously wont affect token creatures.

Tokens are also never "cards", so bear that in mind too (some things count cards going to the graveyard, for example).

Spells and abilities only do what they do - they dont do extra things. If nothing says the other creature gets the bonus, then it doesnt.

Put it on your opponent's creature, then activate the ability to tap the creature before it can block or attack. You can also use it on a creature with an ability which has a cost that includes tapping the creature, to force your opponent to use the ability at a time that is less advantageous, or lose his chance to use it at all that turn.

The Censer isnt a creature so it cannot attack anything, and nothing says to put counters back on it. You can use other cards to add counters, however (look into Proliferate).

Yes, thats what it says. Note that you dont have to target an attacking creature if you dont want to. You could target a blocking creature, or even a creature that isnt involved in the combat at all. 

Trepanation Blade is an artifact, so is a permanent when on the battlefield. The card says "The creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each card revealed this way".

The counter stay on - that is the point of it using counters. If it has two +1/+1 counters then it will get +2/+2, for example.

You can activate an activated ability as many times as you can pay the cost, unless something says otherwise. So if you have 4 untapped mountains, you can tap them for for red mana, and then activate the ability 4 times, giving a total of +4/+0 until the end of the turn.

Try not to use the word "stack", since the stack is a game zone in Magic (like battlefield, exile and library). 3 Staff of Nin will have a cumulative effect, yes. You will draw 3 extra cards each turn, and you can do a total of 3 damage to creatures or players.

"Resolve" means it finishes doing its thing. For example, once a creature spell resolves, the creature is on the battlefield as a permanent.

if someone could explain how to add quick links to cards ill be happy to modify my post - thanks again

[ c ]Lightning Bolt[ / c ] = Lightning Bolt (without the spaces)

Hope that helps

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
wow thanks again to everyone, I tried the C thing and thought it wasnt working because I copy pasted from the "Read this first" post... silly me... eg
[C]Grizzly Bears[/C] (didnt work due to the colors i guess)
but Grizzly Bears works
4)  necrogen censer - will it accumulate more counters each turn ot is this card effectively only used 2x, i.e tap and attack, remove counter - and repeat next go  - then remove card? 

I believe I should mention...
You remove the counter as a cost, when you tap the censer and the opponent loses 2 life as an ability, it does not count as an attack, or damage. Simply loss of life. (And, yes, some things do care about that difference.

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
2)   when you soulbond a card that has an enchantment (eg from an artifact +4/+4), does the soulbond card also get the +4/+4 or only the abilities that are on the card itself 

Probably worth noting that a creature that has equiped an equipment card Batterskull is gaining a bonus/ability from a nonequipment artifact Gauntlet of Might or is gaining a bonus/ability from an enchantment not attached to the creature Serra Aviary is not considered enchanted. Artifacts are also not considered enchantments, normally. Makes a difference for cards like Rootwater Matriarch .

Would be neat to see a soulbonded creature that's soulbond effect caused the soulbonded creatures to gain all bonus abilities/traits of its paired creature. Would need some text in there to prevent multiplication of counters.    

You cast a spell (creatures are also spells), and after choosing targets and paying costs, it goes on the stack. Everyone can then play spells and abilities in response to it, before it takes effect - once everyone passes, the spell "resolves". If it's an instant or sorcery, its effects happen and it then goes to the graveyard. If it's a creature or other permanent, when it resolves it goes on to the battlefield and is ready for use.

nitpick: the highlighted text is actually incorrect, you announce the spell and put it on the stack first and then you choose modes and then you choose targets and then you may activate mana abilities to pay mana costs and then you pay all costs and finally it's cast.

(I can't think of any interaction where the order matters that the spell goes on the stack first, but the rules do say it happens in that order specifically)

Reference:
601.2a The player announces that he or she is casting the spell. That card (or that copy of a card) moves from where it is to the stack.[..]
601.2b If the spell is modal the player announces the mode choice [..]
601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. [..]
601.2f If the total cost includes a mana payment, the player then has a chance to activate mana abilities [..]
601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. [..]
601.2h Once the steps described in 601.2a–g are completed, the spell becomes cast. [..]

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments