Neverwinter Campaign Setting - Any use for a non 4th ed DM?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the Menzoberranzan book actually looks like it could be pretty useful and interesting to read. The ad for it on WotC's site at the moment goes on about how similar it is to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Now I remember from my flicking through it, it's only got about 135 pages that aren't mechanics (roughly). So i did a quick check and that's actually pretty close to the number of pages in the Menzoberranzan book. Yes it costs more, but with Amazon the price difference isn't that great.

HOWEVER it does have a pretty big Chapter called "Neverwinter Today" and I'm not interested nor ever planning in running a Forgotten Realms campaign set in 4th ed times. So does it hold much use for a non 4th ed DM?
I'd have to get my copy back out...    
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
So the Menzoberranzan book actually looks like it could be pretty useful and interesting to read. The ad for it on WotC's site at the moment goes on about how similar it is to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Now I remember from my flicking through it, it's only got about 135 pages that aren't mechanics (roughly). So i did a quick check and that's actually pretty close to the number of pages in the Menzoberranzan book. Yes it costs more, but with Amazon the price difference isn't that great.

HOWEVER it does have a pretty big Chapter called "Neverwinter Today" and I'm not interested nor ever planning in running a Forgotten Realms campaign set in 4th ed times. So does it hold much use for a non 4th ed DM?

It will only be useful if you plan on running a Post Spellplague campaign.  There is system neutral material but it is not organized as well as Menzobarranzan in identifiying the system neutrality.  The campaign is not really systems neutral because of its focus in 1485 or whatever it is.  You would not get the same value out of these 160 pages as you would from Menzo.

Its primary focus, unlike Menzo is a post spellplague campaign.  If you want to run that time period with another system though it is absolutely 100% compatible. If your looking for resource material for a previous era it will not serve your purposes.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
The book is not focused on that era. It has content from that era, but it is not reliant upon it. It is system and era neutral.
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
The book is not focused on that era. It has content from that era, but it is not reliant upon it. It is system and era neutral.

I'm at work so I don't have my copy at hand. 

I am relying completely on memory from reading it through last march.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
Well, it just just released at Gen Con several weeks ago, so I'm not sure about seeing a copy this past March. Fom conception when it was being outlined, it was designed to be more open for DMs and consumers of the fiction. While there are descriptions of the modern era (post-spellplague), the book also has references to the past and interactions during those times.

Follow me on Twitter!
I'm not interested nor ever planning in running a Forgotten Realms campaign set in 4th ed times. So does it hold much use for a non 4th ed DM?

Likely not: the setting details modern Neverwinter, which has some major changes; not from the spellplague, but from the volcanic eruption detailed in the Gauntlegrym novel.

However, the book also provides details on the Shadowfell version of Neverwinter. This could possibly be of use (since the Plane of Shadow still existed in 3e FR).
Thanks guys. I'm going to order the Menzoberanzan book along with Elminster's Forgotten Realms
Well, it just just released at Gen Con several weeks ago, so I'm not sure about seeing a copy this past March. Fom conception when it was being outlined, it was designed to be more open for DMs and consumers of the fiction. While there are descriptions of the modern era (post-spellplague), the book also has references to the past and interactions during those times.

Sorry Matt, I thought the original poster was asking about NEVERWINTER.

That was my fault.  I would have to agree that Menzoberranzan was absolutely everything they said.  I have the book and I love it and yes it is entirely relevant to every era.

My post above was in reference to NEverwinter as I thought the poster was asking about that.

I thought the original poster was asking about NEVERWINTER.

Ditto (he even stated 'it does have a pretty big Chapter called "Neverwinter Today"')

Sorry for the confusion. Let me try to clear things up.

I was planning on putting an amazon order in for some Forgotten Realms sourcebooks. Definitely on the list were:

• Menzobaranzan

• Elminster's Forgotten Realms

I was considering adding the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, but I was unsure. I made this thread to see what people thought, and decided against buying it. Hence my final post saying I will be purchasing Menzobaranzan and Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

Hopefully that actually clears something up (doubtful). But you've all been helpful nonetheless.

oh wow. I got confused too! hehe

Okay, so the Neverwinter Book has 4e elements to it. The Menzoberranzan and upcoming Ed Greenwood Presents the Forgotten Realms books are system agnostic.

The Neverwinter book will be helpful if you're looking to run your FR game in the 1480 DR timeline. You can use the other two books in any era, for the most part.

Follow me on Twitter!
I thought the original poster was asking about NEVERWINTER.

Ditto (he even stated 'it does have a pretty big Chapter called "Neverwinter Today"')

Yes, and the thread is called Neverwinter too.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
I finally picked up Menzoberranzan and I like it a lot.

@OP: There are some similarities with the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, especially if you consider the DDi articles on drow character themes as an integral part of Menzoberranzan (speaking as a 4E DM), and I can easily see me running a Menzoberranzan campaign in the future that would be very similar to the Neverwinter campaign I am running now.

Hmmm, I wonder if I will be able to convince my PCs to embrace a return of Eilistraee campaign set in Menzoberranzan....

Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
You can totally use Neverwinter for a 3.5/Pathfinder campaign but it is far less informative on the city itself then the Menzoberranzan book.

Regardless of edition you are running...

If you plan on running a drow campaign, the Menzoberranzan book is a must have.

If you plan on running a Neverwinter campaign in the Post-spellplague timeline then I also recommend Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

For 3E fans, just because you prefer 3E mechanics over 4E mechanics, don't be affraid to use 4E material, really its not all bad. The spellplague never bothered me, the only thing that really sucks is the advanced timeline which may make you loose any human PCs/NPCs...I run 3E/Pathfinder in current 4E timeline and have no problems at all... just means al little more work on the DM's behalf.
YMMV.  I did a Realms game with 4e mechanics (I love the mechanics after all), but refuse to use the 4e Realms lore (or 4e Lore in general).  Heck, my group has years of Realmslore that split from 3.5's lore onward.  And, I have the NW book.  It's not useful for a non-Spellplague campaign, but I often sample the living daylights out of the mechanics presented (Bladesinger, domains, monster templates.)

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
You can totally use Neverwinter for a 3.5/Pathfinder campaign but it is far less informative on the city itself then the Menzoberranzan book.

Regardless of edition you are running...

If you plan on running a drow campaign, the Menzoberranzan book is a must have.

If you plan on running a Neverwinter campaign in the Post-spellplague timeline then I also recommend Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

For 3E fans, just because you prefer 3E mechanics over 4E mechanics, don't be affraid to use 4E material, really its not all bad. The spellplague never bothered me, the only thing that really sucks is the advanced timeline which may make you loose any human PCs/NPCs...I run 3E/Pathfinder in current 4E timeline and have no problems at all... just means al little more work on the DM's behalf.

I choose not to use the lore of 4e because of its reductionist philosophy.  I am OK with the timeline now because it seems like Ed is using story to bring the realms back in line.

Neverwinter is a good book, I own it but it is only useful in a 4e campaign.  Pre 4e campaign it borders on the useless.  Again it is a reductionist take on the north, with another apocalyptic event.

Menzoberranzan however is an excellent book, because it has quality information and is system neutral.  It is useful for underdark campaigns in general, and FR campaigns in particular.

Hopefully the trend of Menzoberranzan and EFR will continue as I thought Neverwinter was system neutral and I was very disappointed.

The Nevewinter book is perfectly useable in a 3.5 or earlier rules edition campaign.

The book is not jam-packed with rules; it's filled with a hefty dose of lore and information. DMs who prefer to build on and modify the information they get from Realms sourcebooks (most DMs, unless I'm mistaken) will find plenty in the book to wet their appetite for campaign building.

Granted the book is set post-Spellplague, but if your players aren't familiar with Neverwinter, much less the North, you can insert practically everything in the Neverwinter book into a non-4E rules campaign with little or no trouble.
there is also that road to neverwinter pdf thingie that can be used for pre plague 4e FR too.....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Doing a find and replace for Neverwinter with Luskan would probably work OK for pre-spellplague timelines.  That city was mostly a wreck after the fall of the Hosttower.
Sign In to post comments