Sentient Weapon - as a character.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Once upon a time I had a thread in which we were designing Elric of Melnibone... one of the issues that came up was Stormbringer himself (Gender inspecificity aside I used himself on purpose in the final scene of hte books Stormbringer drops in to humanoid form and speaks.) One idea easily ummm well ignored at the time was to have Stormbringer be a second player. And given that SB was mostly passively operating and didnt have free form control it wouldnt make to interesting of play.

However recently I have seen a number of shows (anime actually) featuring sentient weapons in the role of protagonists. Sacred Blacksmith and Souleater are the example shows that come to mind.  

Inspired by this I am thinking these Weapons are mechanically a merger between Pixie and Warforged and  in the best cases perhaps the warlord class.

Anyway it was a weird thought ... wouldnt that make a wicked race. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Honestly... no.

Movement: 0
Speech: only to one creature, the one you are bonded with
Ability score increases: ?
Back story: "I was created, this guy once wielded me, now I was found again."

I don't see a lot of options. Try to build a race that turns into a sentient weapon as a daily or make a theme that allows a character to do it. This is how I would best handle this.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I'd actually suggest take it a step further and just play a normal character mechanically (except I guess have a magic weapon that level scales, obviously need to discuss with D&D), but is actually a character who is entirely possessed by the sword.

This doesn't necessarily make you evil, perhaps your a good sword that used to be a human being before someone did something nasty to you, and the possession is entirely out of your control, and your trying to find some way to fix yourself.  
Just play a Warforged with a reskin.  Not just sentient weapon, walking weapon :D

But yeah, unless you have a VERY forgiving player, I just can't see this working at the table.  If you do, then that player plays a lazylord.  Though, actually, a lazylord|shaman, fluffing the spirit companion as the soul of the weapon (or the dude encased in the weapon, or whatever) flying around possessing people on a short term basis and making them attack stuff (that spirit possession at-will), it could work, giving the player some individual autonomy on the field.

Interesting concept, probably requires a game which is a LOT less simulationist/gamist to actually function.  In a narrative game, it could really work.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Honestly... no.

Movement: 0

Stormbringer and dancing weapons fly, stormbringer when tossed in the ocean floated like a body then flew back to Elrics armory screaming all the way.

Speech: only to one creature, the one you are bonded with

or a generalised Telepathy short rang but useable for speach purposes...  in the Blacksmith they could sense one another could eat if they wanted to but didnt need to and so on.

Try to build a race that turns into a sentient weapon as a daily or make a theme that allows a character to do it. This is how I would best handle this.

Yup the idea is to have shape shifting in its background.

At some level stormbringer is just bound  until it achieved  the goal it may have been limited to its sword form. In humanoid form you get the impression it might have mimiced or mirrored its former wielder.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

If you do, then that player plays a lazylord.   

A pixie is small enough... can be in the space of an ally. Reflavor there attacks as being of that ally. unless they are in dancing mode where they fly out in to the fight.

At some levels you dont have to Lazylord but to enhance your adjacent allies attacks you probably want to atleast hybrid lazylord.

And yes it probably involves being able to humanform to make for social roleplaying which was why I mentioned the two shows they most definitely featured that aspect.

I'd actually suggest take it a step further and just play a normal character mechanically (except I guess have a magic weapon that level scales, obviously need to discuss with D&D), but is actually a character who is entirely possessed by the sword.

This doesn't necessarily make you evil, perhaps your a good sword that used to be a human being before someone did something nasty to you, and the possession is entirely out of your control, and your trying to find some way to fix yourself.  

I like that story.. quite interesting. 

I would consider reskinning a race as well, but rather than a warforged (which seems obvious) I would reskin a razorclaw shifter. Reskin all of the racial features to fit a bit better. And then as a class choose swordmage!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Pixie slayer.  And get your DM to let you start with a scaling lightning sword, and let you take the death's blessing feat (no need to eat/breath).

(works wonders with a warlord as well).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

other anime-
In Yuyu Hakisho one of the Tagoro brothers turned into a weapon weilded by the other.
I think Bleach has them meeting the magic swords in human form.
Megatron leader of the Decepticons turned into a weapon weilded by his 2nd in comand.  

At a convention back in the 80's (back when the RPGA gave you a score for roleplaying) I walked past a game that was 1 human adventurer and 5 talking magic items.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I would think of it mostly as a companion, not a full-fledged character.  But if it were a dancing sword, I'd go with reflavored pixie and a melee striker class of some sort.  Probably rogue, assassin, or avenger.  Maybe a sorcerer.

Also, my model for this character would be the Sword of Fighting from JourneyQuest.  (Which, technically, can only teleport to its owner, but it has the best lines.)

I'm your everywhere!
you would need a system where there can be two planes to combat (or just develop one as a houseruled thing)

1. the physical- positioning, target choice, etc + the wielders relatively static stats + rolls related to the wielder's luck

2. resources that the player playing the weapon must manage in order to maximize effectiveness + rolls related to the weapon's luck

feats in such a system would often be complementary to promote synergy, weapons like in soul eater could pretty much be normal people when not in combat, with half weapon and full weapon forms for combat. the game would be designed from the ground up for this mechanic... i'm thinking 6 players would be optimal- 3 wielders and 3 weapons- a big part of the game's selling point would be the mechanics of the sort of the "Partnership"

hm... i should take a crack at developing this one, lol, sounds fun

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

I would think of it mostly as a companion, not a full-fledged character.  But if it were a dancing sword, I'd go with reflavored pixie and a melee striker class of some sort.  Probably rogue, assassin, or avenger.  Maybe a sorcerer.

That's what I like about you, wrecan.  So many awesome ideas!

I've seen the Sacred Blacksmith anime referred to by the OP, and with your idea of companion characters, I could really see it work.

Something to mull over for my own home campaign. 
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

Sign In to post comments