Channel Divinity and alignment

I don't quite like the Good Clerics heal/hurt undead, Evil Clerics hurt/heal undead. When just looking at clerics it makes sense, but zooming out to when clerics get Gods, is this fitting for all evil clerics? Does Tiamat and Umberlee have an interest in keeping the unded alive?

I would say that since the Gods ultimately collect souls, all Gods hurt undead, heal those their acolytes judge are worth healing. However when the undead domain comes out, have it as a feature of that domain that they can heal undead with their channel divinity, and hurt the living. 

Alternatively come up with a non healing and (even slightly situational) channel divinity option for each domain. (Sun hurts undead as written, war lets an ally ignore a fear effect, etc.)
Getting out of a dungeon alive, and keeping allies alive, is neither good nor evil.
I don't quite like the Good Clerics heal/hurt undead, Evil Clerics hurt/heal undead. When just looking at clerics it makes sense, but zooming out to when clerics get Gods, is this fitting for all evil clerics? Does Tiamat and Umberlee have an interest in keeping the unded alive?

I would say that since the Gods ultimately collect souls, all Gods hurt undead, heal those their acolytes judge are worth healing. However when the undead domain comes out, have it as a feature of that domain that they can heal undead with their channel divinity, and hurt the living. 

Alternatively come up with a non healing and (even slightly situational) channel divinity option for each domain. (Sun hurts undead as written, war lets an ally ignore a fear effect, etc.)

In a lot of settings they do mention how about how even evil gods can detest undead. My main example is Meridia in the Elder Scrolls universe. She is a Daedric lord (A Demon Lord), who hates undead more than anything. She makes it her mission to rid the world of undead as she sees it as an abomination, but she hates mortals as well.
My two copper.
I'm just waiting for Nuffle to be recognized as a deity. Yes, he is from Blood Bowl, but he is the god of bad dice rolls. In fact if you don't pray to him you get bad dice rolls and if you do pray to him he notices you are trying to get good dice rolls so he gives you bad ones instead.

In reality I will probably homerule some of this. If the player wants to they can choose which to do. From my perspecitve it is roleplaying hiding as game mechanics.

Ant Farm
I'm just waiting for Nuffle to be recognized as a deity. Yes, he is from Blood Bowl, but he is the god of bad dice rolls. In fact if you don't pray to him you get bad dice rolls and if you do pray to him he notices you are trying to get good dice rolls so he gives you bad ones instead.

In reality I will probably homerule some of this. If the player wants to they can choose which to do. From my perspecitve it is roleplaying hiding as game mechanics.

Lol, I pray to Nuffle before every game
My two copper.
This seems like something to be addressed later on once Campaign Settings are being worked on.
Core-wise keep it good heal people/hurt undead, bad hurt people/heal undead. Core should be more on the generic side, really.  
Once you get to Campaign Settings than if a particular diety hates undead, (Good or Evil or Neutral) than that god's cleric's Channel Divinity should be on the heal people/hurt undead side of things. For example in the Forgetten Realms is the god Kelemvor, Judge of the Dead. He is against undead and a Neutral god. So his clerics should, regardless of alignment, have the heal people/hurt undead aspect.
Now on the other side of this we use the Blood of Vol in Eberron. Undead are reveared martyrs to them. So clerics of the Blood of Vol would get the hurt people/heal undead. I would think the same for the elven Undying Court. Though arguements could be made either way for them as they are deathless not undead.
My 2cp. 
But since hurting people instead of healing people as a fundamental part of your class, kind of alters your function on the team, it makes you almost a different class. I think all Clerics should just be able to heal as the default, and then as campaign settings come out they should roll out dieties who specifically alter this. 

I would prefer the idea of evil dieties is that they expect to exact a price of those they heal being the default fluff. Rather than the fluff/mechanic of hurting instead of healing. 
Another revelation of 4e I hope makes it into 5e:

Even bad guys need healers. Evil clerics should be able to heal too. 
Dnd has always seemd a little myopic in that evil is always a striker/damage dealer. For example the blackguard in 4E really confused me. The unstoppable black knight a juggernaut who won't be denied (lampooned in Monty Python and the Holy Grail) is a fantastic understanding of a terrifying evil and would have made a great defender. 

Evil clerics who keep reviving their temples guardian dragon would be keeping in a terrifying evil in their own way without resorting to the idea that the only evil is a d8. 
Sign In to post comments