What to do with 1000 coins?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
When generating treasure, it can get increasingly difficult to come up with new ways to justify the 1000s of coins in a treasure horde narratively.

I know in the D&D Next it's been stated that magical items will have more narrative hooks set in place to make them wonderous. And it's also been stated that the economy will get looked at in general, not just in regards to magical items. Will there be strong narrative set in place for the economy and existance of treasure? These sort of hooks and justifications also give greater flexibility in controlling large piles of coins (gems, art and magical items are easier to give evocative backgrounds and links to previous owners than piles of money!)

Also, does anyone currently have an good tricks for justifying and giving flavour to the more boring and cumbersome aspect of a treasure horde?

Coins in D&D are on a simple decimal system.  Past platinum, the usual method has been to use arbitrary and usually nameless gemstones of specific values in powers of ten.

If you want, just use anything, and assign that anything some GP value.
That's always been the catch in D&D. Justifying the expected gold.

Art objects are good, statues and gold candlesticks and the like. 
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

expected gold.

Maybe, we just need to get over the idea of treasure being expected.

expected gold.

DDN is the edition for you, since you don't *need* to constantly improve your to hit and damage.
expected gold.

Well, I was thinking expected by players. The higher you get in level, the larger you expect the vast treasure troves.
Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: 
What Would Wrecan Say?

5 Minute Workday

My Webcomic
Updated Tue & Thur

In a way the higher level treasure troves can be grand hordes, it's some of the lower level hordes with many thousands of cp or sp that sometimes seems weird (this was more under 3.5). Did the creature just rob a lot of peasants for a long time? Constantly attack the baron's treasury run from the local villages going to the town? Where did it come from and who might care that it was recovered?

I am hoping D&D Next,  if the magic item needs are toned down and shifted, will be able to have a more logical economy. And therefore, the hordes can be interesting and seem realistic. And giant hordes of coins can be a big deal again, the domain of dragons and such large creatures once more. Creatures who have a laundry list of people wanting their ancestral treasure back
Are you trying to find a way to flavor 1000 gp? I know the 4e Draconomicon had a very useful hoard-designing chapter that could be used for more than just dragon hoards.
If you're wondering why 1000 gp is Expected, then fear not: 5e is aiming to be the campaign where you can give out any amount of treasure. The guidelines are handy for helping DMs gauge the amount of treasure appropriate for their setting, but there's no compulsion to use it. You can have treasure be practically nonexistent, or you can have there be gold pouring through the seams of every dungeon. It's up to you.
I usually do as good as I can to rip out the economy part of character progression as good as I can..    (and thus I look forward to 5E)

So usually I up the value of the gp to ten times its value to get some more silvers and coppers into the game, at least at early levels..
And then I dont give out huge treasure hoards unless it's really supposed to be a huge treasure hoard in the story.. 

I dont want random creatures to suddenly start to carry around stuff worth half a kingdom just because they happen to be powerful..
And I want to keep the characters a part of the game society for as long as I can..   realism just collapses when a player can walk in to an inn and order a room and a beer and toss 100gp to the bartender just bacuse its nothing much (And still claim to ba a barbarian or a rogue..  )

Also..   some characters motivations to adventuring just collapses when they realise they can just settle down and live as lords bathing in luxury instead of risking their lives..

Characters should have to really earn huge treasures, and when they get them, they should be rich (not feel forced to spend it on a new magic sword).
Also, does anyone currently have an good tricks for justifying and giving flavour to the more boring and cumbersome aspect of a treasure horde?

My DM likes to throw in the odd letter of credit or house deed into the treasure pile.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Instead of 1000 gp give them 1000gp sewn to Leather armor.

Coined Armor: AC: As Studded Leather; Weight: As Leather Plus Coin Weight; Value: As Studded Leather Plus Coin Value.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

My DM likes to throw in the odd letter of credit or house deed into the treasure pile.

Those are good ones.  One of my favorite ways to flavor-up bland coinage is to make it actual coinage.  It's not just 1000gp, it's 1000 ancient gold coins (maybe even come up a unique name for them) minted by the church of ______ , bearing an image of their high priestess on one side and the symbol of their god on the other, and paid to an ancient king for land rights, on which they built a now-ruined temple (plot hook ).
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Just put those coins in a bag and wield it as a flail.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

It better be a special bag though or it'll probably break.  Oooh!  Put it in an amputated dragon scrot.  Just like people used to turn buffalo scrots into tobacco pouches.
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

It better be a special bag though or it'll probably break.  Oooh!  Put it in an amputated dragon scrot.  Just like people used to turn buffalo scrots into tobacco pouches.

Nat-1 equals exploding bag of coins, dealing 1d4 damage to all characters in a Close Blast 3!

I actually keep my dice in a kangaroo scrotum bag, true story.  That had better not get censored, as it is a very real product.

TIL Dragons have scrotums.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

Why?
I'm just sayin', maybe you don't like for your treasure to be expected and thus built into the balance of the game so that it's not overpowering, but a lot of us are big fans of that. I would hope that Next would provide the tools necessary for both of us to play the way that we want. You have reasons for wanting treasure to be special in your game, I have reasons for wanting treasure to be unremarkable in my game.
Mostly, I'm just tired of so many people condescending about expected wealth and acting like people who do appreciate a game balanced with magic items in mind are spoiled or feel falsely entitled or something.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Coined Armor: AC: As Studded Leather; Weight: As Leather Plus Coin Weight; Value: As Studded Leather Plus Coin Value.

That sounds heavy.

And also expensive.

Show
I support some of the ideas in this thread. 

To hell with the award system that have to progess with your level. This is old and out of date. 

I was pretty happy that a 5lv character in 5e can be powerful even though he is still using 1lv equipment. Is is a whole other story if it was another eidtion.

Besides I like my reward roleplaying not treasure. ;) 
Theres all kinds of ways of pumping up treasure gp value without necessarly resorting to thousands of coins.

To reduce numbers shift to greater value coins, such as platinum. Or use old coins from long gone empire for exemple, 105 black iron coins from the old Dwarven Kingdom of Delzoun can be very rare and worth 1000 gp+ easily!

Trade bars and lingos can be worth a lot of gp, made of silver, electrum, gold, bronze, platinum etc..

Raw ore too 

Art objects of any sorts

Jewels rings diadem bracers etc...

Gemstones usually range from 10 gp to 5,000 gp

And other rarities. Lost tomes, a poem by a famous artist or a painting by a long dead and famous artist could be extremely valued. Rare silk from distant land, etc..

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That sounds heavy.

And also expensive.

But deep down you dont care...you want a suit of coined armor...go on...put one on...It only weighs (30lb)? Wow It looks good on you. A fashion Statement. All the other fighters are jealous as hell. Look at them laughing...but deep down on the inside they want one too.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Theres all kinds of ways of pumping up treasure gp value without necessarly resorting to thousands of coins.

To reduce numbers shift to greater value coins, such as platinum. Or use old coins from long gone empire for exemple, 105 black iron coins from the old Dwarven Kingdom of Delzoun can be very rare and worth 1000 gp+ easily!

Trade bars and lingos can be worth a lot of gp, made of silver, electrum, gold, bronze, platinum etc..

Raw ore too 

Art objects of any sorts

Jewels rings diadem bracers etc...

Gemstones usually range from 10 gp to 5,000 gp

And other rarities. Lost tomes, a poem by a famous artist or a painting by a long dead and famous artist could be extremely valued. Rare silk from distant land, etc..

A thousand gold coins is a hundred scrolls of beaten gold scribed with poetry of a forgotten age.

we would often find artwork.

the artwork or bobardo rossini was highly prised in the campaign.
of course based on bob ross www.deshow.net/cartoon/2008/bob_ross_lan...

Start throwing in anachonisms, and see how long it takes the players to catch on.

Consider, for example polycarbonate.  It's clear like glass, but doesn't easily shatter and is actually somewhat flexible.  It's largely inpervious to swords and arrows, but can be sawed like a wood, and heat-worked like a soft metal.
Stick a few 6' x 3' sheets in a dragon hoard, describe them as well as possible, and just see what the PCs do with it.
Replace 1000gp with a few elven exotic dancer slave girls and see how the PC's handle the situation (adjust alignment accordingly). =P
They kan be kept, sold at the slave trade in the Qu'uthoor bazaar (for 1000gp), or returned to their village (for a 1000gp reward). 

Then replace elven with goblin and see if they do it differently.

200lb armour, too good to resist. Give it to the creative giant to wear first.

And now all I can think of is a dagon that's either a) gone insane and glued its horde to itself to pretend to be a golddragon, or b) has been glued to its horde and needs freed/wants revenge. Either way, a fun thing to spring on the player that thinks the horde is unguarded!

Ah, interesting!

One of my favorite ways to flavor-up bland coinage is to make it actual coinage.

Or use old coins from long gone empire for exemple, 105 black iron coins from the old Dwarven Kingdom of Delzoun can be very rare and worth 1000 gp+ easily!

I was thinking of 'modern' origins, and forgot about making some older hordes.

I hope these sorts of ideas get added to the core game as a way top deal with teasure hordes for lairs.
@beowuuf: You actually mixed up my quote and Shasarak's quote.  However, since we were both providing nice examples of how to flavor-up bland coin rewards, I don't mind if he doesn't.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

@beowuuf: You actually mixed up my quote and Shasarak's quote.  However, since we were both providing nice examples of how to flavor-up bland coin rewards, I don't mind if he doesn't.

Actually I just wish he had given me credit for the exotic elven dancing girls because that has been my favourite so far.

Show
I like to throw in coinage as something random instead. For example, instead of 1000gp you might find a magical ring of invisibility that can only turn itself invisible. It's not too useful, but you definitely can find a buyer for it if you look. Or another example was a talking book. The party thought it was useful at first, then they realized it was really just giving them bad advice and being very annoying on top of that, so they sold it. A talking book is novel enough to find a buyer IMO, in my games, at least. I have lately decided I need to start having them find obscure geek references instead of hoards, but have not enacted this yet. First, I want to have them find in a game a magical piece of furniture, an Armoire of Invincibility (8bit theatre fans will recognize this one!)

When I have a new group of players that have never played in my games I like to have a hoard of treasure they find early that makes them think I'm a monty haul type DM. I'm not. The hoard is cursed. There's just enough magic items for every player to find something that they like, boots of dancing, necklace of strangulation, platemail of vulnerability, bracers of defenselessness, etc. Not once have they tried to identify or even detect magic when I've done this. Not once. I don't kill them for this early mistake, but definitely make it entertaining (but annoying) and find a way for them to survive. Afterwards, I rarely throw in a cursed item but they sure as hell identify everything, every time, forever. When I do throw in a cursed item normally, it is some kind an adventure hook.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
Page 12 and 13 of the D&DN DM Guidelines has some ideas. Also I love to use: http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/treasure/ (especially the convert X% coins into items feature

And yet no one wishes to have been mistaken for the gold coin armour? The dancing elves were fun

I admit to having skimmed the trasure section in the playtest guide having spotted the old gem/art tables first. Just did not spot the new suggested coin and value distributions! That will certain keep hordes down to a more manageable levels if the rest of the economy follows suit.