Martial Matters

Through all editions of D&D, only 3 aspects of the Martial Combat were always present

Weapon Arts Combat: The warrior focuses on the his knowledge of weapons and armor arts to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented in faster BAB/THAC0 and many feats. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Fighter's Weapon Focus (All) and Powers (4E)

• The Ranger's Powers (4E)

• The Monk's Unarmed and Unarmored Bonuses  (ALL)

Observational Combat: The warrior focuses on the his knowledge of his enemy to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented in most situational precision attacks. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Rogue's Sneak Attack (ALL)

• The Ranger's Favored Enemy (1-3E) and  Hunter's Quarry (4E)

Natural Combat: The warrior focuses on the his raw natural ability to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented as High Ability Scores and Ability increasing effects. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Barbarian's Rage (3-4E) and Powers (4E)

• The Druid's Wildshape (2E-3E) and Wildshape Powers (4E)

But there are other aspects of martial combat that appear only in certian editions.

Tactical Combat: The warrior focuses on the his knowledge of group tactics and morale to gain the advantage in group combat. It was represented in most situational precision attacks. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Warlord's Class Features and Powers (4E)

• The Druid's and Ranger's Animal Companion and Beastmaster/Spirt Powers (3-4E)

• The Bard's Bardsong (3E) and Powers (4E)

Magical Weapons Combat: The warrior focuses on the his mavical enhancement to gain the advantage in combat. It was represented in most situational precision attacks. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Paladin's Smite and Divine Powers (3-4E)

• Certain Clerics (3-4E)

So far we have a Weapons Arts Warrior (fighter), a Observational 'Warrior" (rogue.. sorta), and 2 Magic Warriors (the War cleric and Dragon Sorcerer).
Here's hoping for more and having the slots filed (Ooops. I said slot fitting. Don't hurt me). Mostly a true observational warrior.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I like the idea of bringing in the Tactical Warrior again. I would like a character like the warlord who could setup buffs and debuffs on his allies and enemies. For example, maybe he can fake an attack against an enemy so an ally gets advantage or grant an ally a second strike against an enemy within range. 

I am not a fan of Magical Weapon users, but Swordmage seemed to be based on that. Fighters with Magical Weapons seemed to be the only way to make Fighters viable in later tiers in 3.5e. At least that is what I was told by the 3.5e veterans I play with.
Ant Farm
I like the idea of bringing in the Tactical Warrior again. I would like a character like the warlord who could setup buffs and debuffs on his allies and enemies. For example, maybe he can fake an attack against an enemy so an ally gets advantage or grant an ally a second strike against an enemy within range. 

I am not a fan of Magical Weapon users, but Swordmage seemed to be based on that. Fighters with Magical Weapons seemed to be the only way to make Fighters viable in later tiers in 3.5e. At least that is what I was told by the 3.5e veterans I play with.

It was less magical weapons and armor, and more magical everything else.

I want a Tactical Warrior too.
I want to be a halfling warlord, sit on a half-orc's soldier barbarian's shoulders, and order him and the rest of the party around.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Awesome option, take necromancer and have your halfling ride the shoulders of the skeleton pet.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Through all editions of D&D, only 3 aspects of the Martial Combat were always present

Weapon Arts Combat: The warrior focuses on the his knowledge of weapons and armor arts to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented in faster BAB/THAC0 and many feats. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Fighter's Weapon Focus (All) and Powers (4E)

I'd never heard of weapon focus in D&D or AD&D.  I stopped playing in the mid-80s.

Observational Combat
: The warrior focuses on the his knowledge of his enemy to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented in most situational precision attacks. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Rogue's Sneak Attack (ALL)
    The rogue had backstab originally.  It wasn't "knowledge of the enemy" it was stabbing the enemy, in the back.

Natural Combat:
The warrior focuses on the his raw natural ability to gain the advantage in individual combat. It was represented as High Ability Scores and Ability increasing effects. Classwise it is displayyed as:

• The Barbarian's Rage (3-4E) and Powers (4E)

• The Druid's Wildshape (2E-3E) and Wildshape Powers (4E)
    What about the Fighter's percentile strength?

- Warlords! Join the 'Officer Country' Group! Join Grognards for 4e, the D&D that changed D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

They actually have this...well kind of. In the Penny Arcade podcast, Mike Mearls mentions a specialty called "Leader", and says it's first feat allows the character to give up their action to give someone else advantage. No real good details, but it sounds pretty close.
My two copper.
Missing from this list is the guy who sets traps and then get's his enemies to fall into them.
Missing from this list is the guy who sets traps and then get's his enemies to fall into them.

Could/Should be a variant on the ranger, IMO. Would love to see a favored terrain mechanic, even if it is just for the immediate area, not a specific type of terrain.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
The Fighter's Weapon Focus (All) and Powers (4E)

I'd never heard of weapon focus in D&D or AD&D.  I stopped playing in the mid-80s.

Weapon Specialization, in 1e Unearthed Arcana, c1983, IIRC... :google: ... OK, 1985, you might have missed it...

It was broken up into specialization and 'focus' in 3e, and 'specialization' was absent from 4e (focus was there, and later Expertise) until it made an unrelated terminological come-back in Essentials.  FWIW.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Sign In to post comments