Sorcerer origines: an alternative to generic ancestry

I was reading up on warlock patrons and sorcerers and I notice a difference between the two. Warlocks have specific patrons and sorcerers just have vague ancestry. Sorcerers have the blood of specific creature, but that creature is vague.

I understand why some people want generic patrons for warlocks, but I also like the idea of specific patrons too. Sorcerers could have some specific ancestors with unique fluff, flavor and powers.

Just think of the Brood of Dragotha, Scion of Graz'ztDescendant of Raziel, Spawn of DemogorgonProgeny of CryonaxOffspring of Venerestra, Inheritor of Primus, etc, as potential premade builds for sorcerers. A Brood of Dragotha could have a sorcerous power that engulf's his weapon with armful flames and maybe get extra known spells related to fire and necromancy instead of the typical powers sorcerers of draconic origines have. An Offspring of Venerestra could get extra illusion spells known and a sorcerous power that confuses one opponent.

Why stop at mystical creatures for ancestors? Why not have some mystical human ancestors instead of just supernatural beings? Karsus, from the Forgotten Realms' past, could be such an ancestor. WotC already used him with the Karsite race in Tome of Magic (3.5). The Karsites were amagical, but it would be a minor retcon (and make more sense) to have them have magic in their veins. Heir of Karsus anyone?   

PC's wouldn't have to be a Scion of Graz'zt to have Graz'zt as an ancestor. It could just mean the mystical blood is stronger in an individual or that Graz'zt is not too far in the family tree.

Maybe this idea is best left for a module, but if patrons for warlocks can slip in the PHB, why not these?

Do you rebember the bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine 311 and 325?

Bloodlines can be feats + themes.  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Do you rebember the bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine 311 and 325?

Bloodlines can be feats + themes.  

Are you suggesting they should be background or specialty? It's a good idea!

I was reading up on warlock patrons and sorcerers and I notice a difference between the two. Warlocks have specific patrons and sorcerers just have vague ancestry. Sorcerers have the blood of specific creature, but that creature is vague.

I understand why some people want generic patrons for warlocks, but I also like the idea of specific patrons too. Sorcerers could have some specific ancestors with unique fluff, flavor and powers.

Just think of the Brood of Dragotha, Scion of Graz'ztDescendant of Raziel, Spawn of DemogorgonProgeny of CryonaxOffspring of Venerestra, Inheritor of Primus, etc, as potential premade builds for sorcerers. A Brood of Dragotha could have a sorcerous power that engulf's his weapon with armful flames and maybe get extra known spells related to fire and necromancy instead of the typical powers sorcerers of draconic origines have. An Offspring of Venerestra could get extra illusion spells known and a sorcerous power that confuses one opponent.

Why stop at mystical creatures for ancestors? Why not have some mystical human ancestors instead of just supernatural beings? Karsus, from the Forgotten Realms' past, could be such an ancestor. WotC already used him with the Karsite race in Tome of Magic (3.5). The Karsites were amagical, but it would be a minor retcon (and make more sense) to have them have magic in their veins. Heir of Karsus anyone?   

PC's wouldn't have to be a Scion of Graz'zt to have Graz'zt as an ancestor. It could just mean the mystical blood is stronger in an individual or that Graz'zt is not too far in the family tree.

Maybe this idea is best left for a module, but if patrons for warlocks can slip in the PHB, why not these?

I am a prodigy of Io's blood-line. It sure could be as specific as we want it to feel.
I have mentioned something like the Harry Potter wizard families you identify the blood-lines by a named ancestor that could be very cool.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

It seems like quite a cool idea to me.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Do you rebember the bloodline feat for dhampyre (4th Ed) and ancestors feat (Oriental Adventures) and regional feats (Fogorten Realms)?

Bloodline like bakground and theme can be interesting, but I advice only a special feat (bloodline, regional or ancestor) can be chosen, because are too powerful.

Other matter is the favored soul  like the divine magic equivalent of socerer. I can´t find the right words to explain better but I say the idea has got a great potential. The archetype of heroe with divine blood or special chosen to fight for a great fate. Favored sould could be a special build for socerers (with a different optional list of class features)? 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Though I love the idea of a character that is directly descended from Io I think making the Sorcerer Origins too specific will breed too much hate. If you'd like it to be more specific you should talk to your DM. But WoTC should keep it generic. Not that I wouldn't mind a module or a future supplement book to include it. That would be cool.
Maybe as a sideline in a setting book or expansion, but not in core mechanics.
Sorcerers could have some specific ancestors with unique fluff, flavor and powers.

With the initial release of sorcerers in 3E their fluff indicated that they were the ancestors of extraworldly beings or extra powerful ones such as dragons.

The dragon idea got virtually all the press during the 3E run though, and I think it was a real lost opportunity to develop sorcerers in interesting and different directions. The mixed it up more in 4E thank goodness, but what little I've heard so far suggests sorcerers in 5E are going to be very closely tied to dragons again.

I'd much rather they took on your idea and ran with it. Cool    

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Neat idea from OP!
Thanks! I just wonder why this doesn't get more traction, negative or positive.

Is it because I am not a regular? 
Maybe as a sideline in a setting book or expansion, but not in core mechanics.

Keep the Origins fairly generic in the core books. However, go hog-wild on establishing more specific ancestry with campaign settings. Bhaalspawn for Forgotten Realms could be an example or the Dragonmarks (true and aberrant) of Eberron could potentially make good sorcerous origins. It would provide new ways to flesh-out and expand on one's campaign setting.
I really like that a player could play a Warlock in one game and then in another that takes place a few hundred years later, play their own Sorcerer descendant. 
I'd love it if all the classes started out as generic.

A sorcerer is inheriently magical.  This can result from use of or exposure to great magics, or a bloodline that includes a magic user or magical being.  It can also be the result of other conditions or events that make sense in context of the campaign.

The sorcerer's magic is powerful and volatile and restrained by the sorcerer's will.  As the sorcerer cast spells, that restraint is lessened.  This can result in physical changes to and magical changes around the sorcerer. 

Break the class into it's basic building blocks and then provide fill in the blank spots for campaign and character appropriate fluff, along with compelling examples.

The examples can be as generic as non-specific dragon blooded or fey blooded, down to as specific as spawn of X or chosen of Y.