Essentials thief movement powers and mounts

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, at Dragon*Con last week, I was playing some Living Forgotten Realms and one of the players was playing an Essentials thief character and was on a Dire Boar.  He was playing a Bugbear and using charge cheese.  The Bugbear not being LFR legal was apparently never mentioned to his group because he said that he had played the character from level 1.  But that's not the point of this thread.

He was using his thief movement powers but was moving his mount instead of himself.  From the wording of those powers, I always thought you had to move yourself and could not apply that movement to any other creature, since the power says "You move your speed..." or "You shift 3 squares..." or whatever.

tl;dr - Thief movement powers: self-only or mount-friendly? 
Self only, he was cheating.

Not surprising, really, what with the Bugbear thing and all....

This is why LFR DMs ought to know RAW.
  If he's actually mounted at the time?

You could use those powers and claim the non-movement benefit without any problem. (IE, the knock prone portion of Unbalancing Trick).

The movement portion... I'm not actually sure how mounted movement works in this regard. The glossary entry in the compendium doesn't call out what happens if the rider uses a move action to move/shift/etc, which could be interpreted to mean that they can't do so and bring the mount with them. On the other hand, while it says that it's normal for the mount to use a move action to walk or shift, it doesn't actually say the rider goes with them either.

(The Forced Movement section allows it in both cases, but that doesn't necessarily apply to normal movement.)

OTOH, you can definitely charge like this: "Charging: When the rider charges, the rider and mount move up to the mount’s speed and then the rider makes the charge attack. When the mount charges, it follows the normal rules for a charge."
  If he's actually mounted at the time?

You could use those powers and claim the non-movement benefit without any problem. (IE, the knock prone portion of Unbalancing Trick).

The movement portion... I'm not actually sure how mounted movement works in this regard. The glossary entry in the compendium doesn't call out what happens if the rider uses a move action to move/shift/etc, which could be interpreted to mean that they can't do so and bring the mount with them. On the other hand, while it says that it's normal for the mount to use a move action to walk or shift, it doesn't actually say the rider goes with them either.

(The Forced Movement section allows it in both cases, but that doesn't necessarily apply to normal movement.)

OTOH, you can definitely charge like this: "Charging: When the rider charges, the rider and mount move up to the mount’s speed and then the rider makes the charge attack. When the mount charges, it follows the normal rules for a charge."

I could see if the thief was using the Rogue move action without actually moving and then using another move action to move the mount, but then he is charging after the movement.  I know that some of the companions available have the ability to move when you take a move action, but I don't think that applies to general mounts, does it?
In the case of companion creatures, they aren't (usually) serving as mounts.

It's absolutely valid for the thief, when mounted, to do something like...

Move: Ambush Trick (doesn't move anywhere, but now has the CA benefit).
Std: Charge the target (with CA from Ambush Trick).

I'm just not sure how mounts are supposed to interact with the movement portion of the move action (if they do). The glossary entry doesn't make it clear and I don't have my books at hand to check the writeups there.
Sign In to post comments