Magic M13 Celebration! (Suggestions for Future Events)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Today, I went to the free event at my local store. I hadn't been to a celebration before, and didn't know the rules. I went in thinking that it was single elimination (as the players who won a round got packs while those who didn't win did not get packs). As a result, I found myself surprised when I heard my name announced for round two. Fortunately, I was paired with the store owner, who is a fantastic person, and didn't mind me dropping.

My pull was so atrocious that I couldn't justify sticking around. I had Phylactery Lich (without any artifacts), Deadly Recluse, Pacifsm, Encrust and Wild Guess. Those were the best cards in the pack. While I'm sure that there were people who had a different experience (a player next to me drew Serra Avatar), I think the event could be done a little differently in future.

Specifically, I'd like to see core sets broken up into colors, different packs for different colors. For instance, if you're looking only to build a mono-green deck, you can just buy a green pack. This could go a long way toward stabilizing the yearly celebration events where you get to choose your color, similar to the factions from Mirrodin Besieged and the guilds from Return to Ravnica. This would require packs to be printed spefically for the event or for the core set to be sold in a new way. Well, it's just one idea.

I do think there are ways to improve the celebration event, and it mainly starts with the communication from Wizards of the Coast to the players. There's often quite a bit of disconnect there, and I only learned about it through word of mouth. What if social networking were to come into play- ie, facebook, twitter, etc? What about an email list that keeps you apprised of all the latest events in your area- specific to you within a 50-mile radius of your location? I believe attendance would go up significantly for these special types of events (in addition to weekly events) if players like me could only find out when they're taking place.

Thank you Wizards and my local shop.  
I attended the celebration today. I brought my 5 year old boy to the event. He helped me sleeve cards, count land, open packs, ( his favoriate part ).  Roll dice.  It was really fun to share this experience with him.
We were even given an extra Nichol Bolas crown for his little brother.  Just awesome. 
He must have been my good luck charm, as we won every match and only lost one game.  He and his brother will get to keep the cards from the packs today.
Thank you once again!   It is an experience I know I will treasure, and one I'm sure he will be talking about for a long time to come.
I went 2-1, my opening pack was pretty bad. Phillarfield ox being my "best" card. Lost to the guy who went 3-0. But, that's all besides the point. The LOL factor was great and enjoying just messing around and not being so serious was a nice change of pace. World Fire was hilarious. I played a guy playing it in my second match, was winning up until then pretty easily. Then he dropped world fire, and all bets were off in top deck mode. Was just funny. I dropped a Fervor, then hit my ox for the win. Turns out the pack I won from that win, gave me a world fire which i promptly played in my 40card deck. then LOLz continued when I played it in my next match and ended up winning that.

All in all I had a blast playing with everyone and all the randomness that occured.

Edit: We had 40+ players.
I loved the format. There are some plays you will make in Pack Wars that you never will in Draft, such as targeting a Warclamp Mastif with Serpent's Gift.
lol, I just knew I was going to be the one who got a Battle of Wits, I even said it aloud before the tourney, but luckily I was sitting NEXT TO that guy.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
@OP: They are free boosters. Free cards. Boosters are random. This is why booster drafts exist, and not 3-booster sealed events--Wizards has no obligation to make each booster super-balanced. You win some, you lose some. In this case, everyone wins. 

I had a ton of fun today. I played in two events, dropping my first match in the first event but ended up winning my second event.

My highlights:
Pulled a sublime archangel in my first pack, first event. Was nuts for the first game, but never got the Plains out after drawing it Game 2. Opponent had rancor, tormented soul... Took me down 1-2.

Second event, final match, final game: I'm at 7, opponent at 7. I have an unblockable vanilla 5/4 on the field, and nothing of direct use in my hand (one card). I'm pretty sure he had an Aven Squire or two. He plays Elderscale Wurm. Oh ****. I'm explaining to my friend meanwhile, "I can't take him below 7 life unless I have a direct life loss effect" Opponent affirms this, clearly thinking he has the game anyways. I topdeck Sign in Blood. "Like this..." I cast it targetting him, he stares dumbfounded for several seconds, then draws two cards, looks at them for several seconds, then scoops. Utterly amazing.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I had lots of fun too!
I love pack wars and I think if you're not going to Draft your boosters then pack war them out, at least.
At the Celebration Day, I opened 3 exalted dudes and Rancor in my 1st booster, my rare was Drowned Catacomb. I thought I would do ok but I lost every round... The best moment though was holding onto a Mind Sculpt while my opponent happily drew through her deck with Jayemdae Tome before Milling her out!

It was an awesome day made even better by being free!!
Mini-masters isn't about having a good deck or a consistent deck, it's about making a booster pack into a deck, and seeing what happens.  You'll see cards and plays you never will otherwise, even in limited.   Some packs are awesome, others are crap.  I got Door to Nothingness as my first pack rare, and won the last game of my first match with it.  Another guy pulled a foil Sublime Archangel.  We had 20+ players, and we all had fun.  And when you consider everyone got at least one pack, totally free, how can anyone complain?
I had lots of fun too!
I love pack wars and I think if you're not going to Draft your boosters then pack war them out, at least.
At the Celebration Day, I opened 3 exalted dudes and Rancor in my 1st booster, my rare was Drowned Catacomb. I thought I would do ok but I lost every round... The best moment though was holding onto a Mind Sculpt while my opponent happily drew through her deck with Jayemdae Tome before Milling her out!

It was an awesome day made even better by being free!!

Heh, the store I went to had a rule that you couldn't mill people for win until match 3 (three booster decks). You could still eliminate their library and thus card advantage, but you wouldn't win from it.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I didn't go, but never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!
Heh, the store I went to had a rule that you couldn't mill people for win until match 3 (three booster decks). You could still eliminate their library and thus card advantage, but you wouldn't win from it.

Well, what happened if someone pulled the pack with Sands, Jace, Mind Sculpt, and Vedalken Entrancer? I'd be upset. It's like saying you can't win from creature damage. 

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Sands, Jace, Sculpt, and the Entrancer are all still fine (and even good) cards to have even if you can't kill your opponent by decking them. You've still decked them. They won't get any more cards than what's in their hand right now. While that doesn't guarantee victory for you, it is certainly giving you a huge advantage. In short, they still do things relevant to you winning the game.

As far as I can tell, there is only one COMPLETELY useless rare for this format, and one other situationally useless rare: Battle of Wits (about the best you can hope for from this card is to have it in your hand when your opponent plays a Mind Rot so you don't have to pitch something useful) and Phylactory Lich (useless if you don't have any artifacts, as expressed by the OP), respectively.

Every other rare is going to do something, even if that something isn't as good as it might be in other formats with proper deck construction capabilities.

Also, Jace still draws you cards as  + ability, and I hear drawing cards is a good thing. It's also a mythic. From a free pack.

As far as the OP's concerns, WotC doesn't need to change the way they do booster packs just for the sake of a single event (that's FREE for the participant, so why there's any griping to begin with, I can't fathom...). In regards to new players wanting to focus on certain colors, that's what intro packs and the deck builders tool kit products are all about; getting players the basic resources they need to build basic decks.

The randomization of the current normal booster packs is for the sake of drafting, and changing the way they do booster packs for the sake of the reasons you listed would pretty much kill that format.
You are Red/Blue!
Perhaps the answer is, instead of re-thinking pack design, to avoid printing cards like Battle of Wits and Phylactery Lich that are insupportable in sealed and instead print cards like Predator Dragon or Lovisa Coldeyes (for example). These cards aren't very useful in constructed formats, but they could be powerful in sealed.
They already print lots of cards that aren't very useful in constructed but are complete houses in limited formats.

Not all cards are designed for all formats. Some cards are only good in Draft and Sealed. Others are only good in Standard or Modern. Others are good in casual formats like Commander. Not all cards good in one format will be good in a different format.

Every format is played by a LOT of people (some significantly more than others, but all are still played by lots of people), so deciding not to print cards that are bad for the format(s) you like is taking good cards (for a different format) away from somebody else.

You can open a bad limited rare or mythic in your draft or sealed pool and still win (primarily by using the other cards, and leaving that one out of the deck), so the existence of these cards is not really a hinderence to those formats.

It's really only an issue for mini-masters (or pack wars; whatever you like to call it), but that's only played casually except at the Celebration events. The Celebration events are free, though, so losing doesn't matter all that much (ie - at all). You got a free pack and played a game of magic. If, at the end of the day (I can understand being upset in the heat of the moment), that doesn't put a smile on your face, then I can't help you.

It's also worth noting that the Lich is perfectly playable in draft and sealed (and is actually a pretty strong card) because finding an artifact or two to put the counter on isn't that difficult. Even if you have to settle for a bad one, you should be able to, most of the time, have one available.
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments