Birthing Pod and EtB triggers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, had something occur at FNM last night where our T.O. wasn't sure of the answer, and after some searching, I didn't quite agree with his call.
The match was bant Birthing Pod vs black market (Trading Post). The Bant player, wanting to start his chain up once again, casts a manin phase Restoration Angel with nothing else on the board. The Black Market player then questioned if the ability would trigger even though there is obviously nothing legal in order to kill it before Pod could be used.
From playing on MTGO, I think the ability would trigger but be removed from the stack before priority was passed to the Resto Angel player since the game knows that it cannot do anything.
My most recent example of this was playing a War Priest of Thune without any enchantments on the board, and not having to "OK" through the ability.
If anyone could answer, and provide the comprehensive rules numbers or quote, it would be greatly appreciated.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

The way you described MTGO handling it is correct. The ability triggers and goes to the stack, but before any player can get priority the ability controller's need to choose a target. If there's no target to be chosen, the ability is immediately removed from the stack.

So the Bant player can activate the Pod's ability as the stack is empty.

[<o>]
There's no legal target, so the ability is simply removed from the stack, before any player gets priority.

603.3d. The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c-d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

Thank you for the fast answer. Will let them know they had the wrong ruling.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Sign In to post comments