30 creature vampire deck?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi, I'm having a slight problem balancing my vampire deck. I posted here because it's in modern format. Would running 30 creatures be any bad? I'm focusing mainly on aggro, but I like having a bit more of a backup incase Nocturnus can't get the job done, which unfortunately seems to have happened a lot. This is the deck here.

Malakir Bloodwitch is always helping me big time, shes great when I have tons of 1 drops and being my only 5 drop she usually bombs the field on turn 5 or 6. Nocturnus doesn't always **** and having 4 I would often draw him too early, and he's not amazing on his own.

Stromkirk Captain is one I really want to play 4. I was running 4 before and it's nice to give my weaker Vamps first strike and +1/+1 on turn 3. But running 3 seems to work cause I don't want him on turn 1 and he requires the Dragonskull Summit. Gatekeeper is awesone but he is another removal so I think 3 is fine, I also don't want him turn 1.

[*deck]
Deck list
[*/deck]

Remove the "*", Try that then put your texts after the deck.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
Ah I see, done now.

Hi, I'm having a slight problem balancing my vampire deck. I posted here because it's in modern format. Would running 30 creatures be any bad? I'm focusing mainly on aggro, but I like having a bit more of a backup incase Nocturnus can't get the job done, which unfortunately seems to have happened a lot. This is the deck here.

Malakir Bloodwitch is always helping me big time, shes great when I have tons of 1 drops and being my only 5 drop she usually bombs the field on turn 5 or 6. Nocturnus doesn't always **** and having 4 I would often draw him too early, and he's not amazing on his own.

Stromkirk Captain is one I really want to play 4. I was running 4 before and it's nice to give my weaker Vamps first strike and +1/+1 on turn 3. But running 3 seems to work cause I don't want him on turn 1 and he requires the Dragonskull Summit. Gatekeeper is awesone but he is another removal so I think 3 is fine, I also don't want him turn 1.

OK, I gotta ask, as a fan of Vamp decks, myself:

Why no Vampire Nighthawk? He's fantastic, and a good attack deterrent, too.
My sugggested decklist:

Creatures (28 x )
2 x Malakir Bloodwitch
2 x Vampire Nocturnus
4 x Stromkirk Captain
4 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 x Kalastria Highborn
3 x Bloodghast
4 x Vampire Nighthawk
2 x Ghuul Draz Vampires
3 x Vampire Lacerator
3 x Pulse Tracker

Spells (11 x )

2 x Tendrils of Corruption
4x Murder (yeah, I know it costs more, but there aren't any resterictions on it.)
3 x Sign in Blood

Lands (21 x ) I usually run 24 lands, but you seem to be doing all right on the mana department.

15 x Swamp
4 x Dragonskull Summit
2 x Verdant Catacombs

Well, I sideboard 2 Nighthawks, and while he is great, he seems to me to be more of a defensive card. I find myself having him as a dead draw in my hand because often on turn 3 or 4 I would be better off dropping a Stromkirk Captain and beefing up all my other vamps. I side 2 incase I go against an aggro heavy deck.

As for Murder, yeah it has no restrictions but in the meta I face with this deck no one runs much black or artifact creatures. Would you say Tendrils is better than Feast of Blood? I was running 2 Feasts before but I'm not too sure, I like that Tendrils is an instant and doesn't require me to have 2 Vamps or more in play. The cost is the only problem.

Well, I sideboard 2 Nighthawks, and while he is great, he seems to me to be more of a defensive card. I find myself having him as a dead draw in my hand because often on turn 3 or 4 I would be better off dropping a Stromkirk Captain and beefing up all my other vamps. I side 2 incase I go against an aggro heavy deck.

As for Murder, yeah it has no restrictions but in the meta I face with this deck no one runs much black or artifact creatures. Would you say Tendrils is better than Feast of Blood? I was running 2 Feasts before but I'm not too sure, I like that Tendrils is an instant and doesn't require me to have 2 Vamps or more in play. The cost is the only problem.

I ran 3 of each when I had my old Vamp deck. And I've usually used Feast a lot more often, but that might just be me.

As for Nighthawk, I use him both on defense and offense. He's a lifelinker, so you get healed every time he swings, and if you drop him on turn 4, you can have a Stromkirk Captain out already, and drop a Viscera or some such at the same time. I dunno, I just love the card, he's been in every incarnation of my Vampire deck from day 1.

My usual plays go like this:

Turn 1: Swamp, Lacerator, pass.
Turn 2: Swamp, Blood Artist, swing with Lacerator, pass.
Turn 3: Mountain/Dragonskull, Stromkirk Captain, swing with Lacerator, pass.
Turn 4: Land (any), Nighthawk, some one-drop, swing with Lacerator and Captain, pass.
Turn 5: Land, Blade of the Bloodchief, equip to Nighthawk, swing for the fence, pass if they live.
Turn 6: If possible, Damnation and Darksteel Plate on the Nighthawk. Swing for the win.
Yeah Hawk is great but I think it's better to drop a Nocturnus on turn 4. Then Bloodwitch if it gets to turn 5 or 6 to allow you to remain competetive late game. I definitely bring Hawk for multiplayer and drop Lacerators.
My suggestions...
Cut:
Sign in Blood and some creature removal
Add in:
Inquisition of Kozilek
Lightning Bolt
Blightning
Vampire Nighthawk
and you'll need to add more red
My suggestions...
Cut:
Sign in Blood and some creature removal
Add in:
Inquisition of Kozilek
Lightning Bolt
Blightning
Vampire Nighthawk
and you'll need to add more red

I would love to run Lightning Bolts but the fact that it's pure red hurts my Nocturnus. Inquisition is nice, I suppose I can swap Duress from my SB for those. Blightning seems good too. But I'm still pretty set on Nighthawk being better on the SB.