Balance

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dear fellow Legacy players,

I've been looking around at my cards for a while, particularly a fun, casual deck I've kept for quite some time now.  I became interested in Restore Balance just about the time Hypergenesis became banned in Extended (and soon after that, Extended started getting served salad and stopped being the Cookie Monster), and sought a way to crack open its power.  In time--and with some outside advice--I created a fun interaction between cascade, a demon, and Restore Balance.  Pop out Hellcarver via Through the Breach, swing, reveal Restore Balance or a cascade spell, and suddenly you've pushed your opponent permanently out of the game (Brilliant Ultimatum, Time Warp, Relentless Assault, and just getting out any kind of damage outlet increased the chances of winning).

This is great for casual games, where I want to get my butt kicked as I continually draw either no land, no Hellcarver, or watch as I get my game-breaking spell countered the turn before I lose.

Is that just the point though: Restore Balance can be seen from a mile away, and therefore is just begging to be countered?  Is this why we don't see the card in Legacy?  What I'm wondering is if it is possible to make a deck work with Restore Balance?  Have we been granted enough cards to make a strange concoction work?

I suppose what I'm seeing in one aspect is a Prison-type deck, grinding out the game and forcing my opponents to play counterspells out on other cards besides Restore Balance until they are forced to dump their hand, creatures, and land into the graveyard.  There are some great cards out there for this type of strategy already (I mean, Stax is still played, right?  lol):  Meekstone, Land Tax, etc.  Our recovery is actually quite simple with Faith's Reward.  Unfortunately, this still won't be enough; on the other hand, we still need our opponent to take the steepest dive we can generate.  This means Greater Gargadon is still necessary to the strategy.  Another possible card is Raven's Crime in conjunction with Land Tax.

These are all just ideas.  Unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to the best decks at the moment (RUG Delver, Maverick, etc.) to test against, so this is just speculation.  Without Cascade or any ability to immediately play the card, is this just a six-turn waste of mana?

Sincerely,
Deathmask
The reason you don't really see Restore Balance is that it's too slow and predictable outside of cascade and if  you're cascading Hypergenesis is just superior. I recall building on a budget having some sort of artifact heavy cascade restore balance deck.
The reason you don't really see Restore Balance is that it's too slow and predictable outside of cascade and if  you're cascading Hypergenesis is just superior. I recall building on a budget having some sort of artifact heavy cascade restore balance deck.

Was old extended, hyper slow list.
Photobucket

I suppose I haven't looked up stats for Stax decks at Legacy tournments recently, but couldn't you say the same thing about most prison decks?  I probably should actually come up with a list, but that's what I'm working on right now.
The difference between the Staxx kind of slow decks and this one is that Staxx actually gets control very quickly, then takes forever to win.  This kind of deck would take forever to establish control AND forever to win.  In a format with tons of turn 1-3 wins in the form of combo decks, you can't afford to do nothing for too long.  Plus, it's not like Staxx is actually common in Legacy or does all that well.  I think I've seen it at the top tables of a tournament once in the past year.

The other problem with your idea is that if you plan on running the opponent out of counterspells before Restore Balance resolves from suspension or is cascaded into, you actually have to provide threats they need to answer.  That implies that they are spells the opponent cares about, in which case it's probably better if you just focus on those kind of cards instead of Restore Balance.

There is/was a Restore Balance deck in Modern (where everything is about 2-4 turns slower), and it was even terrible there too.  In order to break the card, you have to play a lot of sub-optimal cards and it takes so long to set up that often even if the opponent plays into it, they'll still win because the effect isn't that powerful.

Finally, a note on testing.  You could just proxy the opposing decks by putting photocopy/printed cards in sleeves above basic lands or if your playgroup is really familiar with the format, just putting the name of the cards on basis with a Sharpie.  As long as you're not selling them or trying to use them in a tournament, there is no problem with this.  I'd suggest proxying Maverick, RUG, U/W or Esper StoneBlade and 1-2 combo decks (I like to use Show and Tell and Reanimator) to test against.  That's the only real way to tell if a deck idea is viable at all.
I guess it could work with the new card epic experiment. Pop a couple rituals, burning wish for epic experiment, play it, reveal restore balance/ancestral vision/wheel of fate/rituals/storm spells/past in flames, rinse repeat with past in flames.
In that scenario restore balance would be useful to get rid of hatebears and the like.

But I have no idea whether this is viable in the superfast format that is legacy.
IMAGE(http://www.projektstarwars.de/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16432&dateline=1299412590) Fallen Star Verlag Play Legacy! Decks: Legacy Natural Order/Hulk EDH Iname, Death Aspect / Rosheen Meanderer Casual Elves! I petition for the removal of the mythic rarity.
I guess it could work with the new card epic experiment. Pop a couple rituals, burning wish for epic experiment, play it, reveal restore balance/ancestral vision/wheel of fate/rituals/storm spells/past in flames, rinse repeat with past in flames.
In that scenario restore balance would be useful to get rid of hatebears and the like.

But I have no idea whether this is viable in the superfast format that is legacy.

It might possibly be viable.  I think once I get the chance to proxy some cards I'll see if I can't come up with a decklist.