Pisonic Gift + Pemmin's Aura and Terminate

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Everyone!

I made an account so I can settle a little dispute I had with a friend while playing Magic the Gathering. To start off I'll give you some background information about my friends and I as players. We have been playing for years and have never been to tournaments. We always play Legacy and never Standard. Anyway, moving on the problem at hand. Out on the battlefield I had one Kobold Overlord and a Kobold Taskmaster aswell. My opponent had a Imagecrafter with Psionic Gift and Pemmin's Aura enchanted to him. At the end of my opponents turn I used Terminate to kill the enchanted Imagecrafter. My opponent then used three of his untaped Island to ping off my two creatures. Now I thought it would work like this: Terminate on the bottom of the stack, then the one ping on top and after the one damage went through the Terminate would kill the Imagecrafter. My enemy stated he could ping mutiple times as long as he had the mana. I let it fly 'for now' but was wondering which is the case. Could he ping off both my creatures? Or could he only get one off before the enchated Imagecrafter died? I look forward to your answers and I thank you in advance for reading my post!

Edit: A card was not properly linked.

Thanks again,

Dukereuchre
He could ping both your creatures.

Items on the stack resolve one at a time. He is allowed to ping one of your kobolds, let the ability resolve, untap his Imagecrafter, let that resolve, ping again, and so on before letting Terminate resolve.
Would the same ruleing apply to Mana Leak? Lets say I use it to counter one of his spells, and my opponent pays the required mana, could I cast another one to try and counter it again?
yes, he could cast another counter or even cast an instant draw and draw a counter and then cast it

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

He doesn't even need to let the first ping resolve before he untaps and then pings again.

It's a fairly common misconception that once the Stack starts resolving, every item will resolve.  Items resolve one at a time, and after each seperate item resolves, priorty is passed around again and any player may add more to the stack if they want.
Oh OK, so just I'm clear this. Abilities/Spells on the stack never happen at the same time the last card casted or ability used would always happen first no matter what. Is this true even in the case of two creatures using activated abilities?
One spell or ability resolves at a time.
The stack resolves in order from top down to bottom (ie. Last In, First Out).

yes, the last ability or spell put on would typically always resolve before the ones beneath it

If I use a tapper on some creature, my ability goes on the stack, you can then tap your Royal Assassin, to activate his ability and the Assassin's ability will resolve first and destroy the tapper and then the tapper's ability would resolve and tap whatever it was targeting (assuming whatever it's targeting isn't already tapped)

Costs are paid on casting/activation.
Effects happen when the spell/ability resolves.

An ability on the stack exists independently of its source. Doing things to the source typically has no effect on the ability.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Oh OK, so just I'm clear this. Abilities/Spells on the stack never happen at the same time the last card casted or ability used would always happen first no matter what. Is this true even in the case of two creatures using activated abilities?

The last ability or spell placed on the stack always resolves ("happens") first, yes.
One more thing just to clarify sorry if I'm being bothersome I'm just trying to understand... If i use Visara the Dreadful to kill a Royal Assassin in response the enemy uses Royal Assassin to kill my Visara the Dreadful. Now the stack would work like this: Royal Assassin ability would go first killing Visara the Dreadful and Royal Assassin would remain unharmed? Correct?
no, both would die

Visara would die first, but that doesn't do anything to her ability on the stack which will resolve next and kill the Assassin

the oft-used analogy is I toss a grenade at you and you see me and gun me down, the grenade is already airborne and will still take you out

there are a few corner case exceptions, but by and large the ability is independent of the existence of its source

eg. Bronze Bombshell has to be sacrificed to deal 7, but if you can bounce or destroy or exile it in response it can't be sacrificed
eg. Mogg Fanatic activates targeting itself, when it goes to resolve it will be countered for having a non-existant target

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

No, killing Visara does not remove its ability from the stack. (Abilities on the stack exist largely independently of their source.) Both creatures will be killed.

Think of it as the Assassin throwing its knife at Visara once the arrow from Visara is already in the air. You'd need to [C=Stifle]pluck[/C] the arrow out of the air to save the Assassin. (Or give him a sheild, or move him out of the way, etc)

I understand perfectly now, thank you everyone who posted! Thank you for your paitence and teaching me the correct format to play the game!! I appricate it very much!