A Stab at Barbarian

I would really like to see the Barbarian's Rage be some kind of escalating mechanic - something that goes up (and sometimes down) depending on circumstances around him, and which gives benefits commensurate with his current "level" of rage.

Basically, I'm thinking of Rage that would work like a gauge.

Normally you'd be at 0, but you would have some ability to initiate a Rage on your own - get one or two Rage points.  For now, let's go with:

Don't Make Lemonade!
Get mad!
     Effect: You gain one Rage Point.  When you use this ability, you can make an attack as a part of the same action.

Rage Points could work something like this:

0 Points       
1-2 Points     Minor Rage (Bonus X1; 1 Active Totem)
3-4 Points     Lesser Rage (Bonus X2; 2 Active Totems)
5-6 Points     Greater Rage (Bonus x3); 3 Active Totems)
7+ Points      Extreme Rage (Bonus x4; Take x1 Damage At End of Turn)

If you only have the ability to manually give yourself 1 Point, how does it go up?  Circumstances and events.
The following could give you +1 Rage Points:

• You Miss with an attack.

• You are unable to take an action on your turn (due to an effect or status).

• You have taken damage from an attack since your last turn.

The following could give you -1 Rage Points:

• You choose not to make an attack on your turn.

• You move away from an opponent.

• You have not been attacked since your last turn.

The following immediately reduce your total Rage Points to 0:

• You are knocked unconscious.

• You are killed.

These are the defaults - other things may change how these work, or add different triggers.  They even even be simplified, allowing only a change of +/- 1 per turn (which might not be feasible, depending on combat length), or just cutting it down to really simple rules like "Gain Rage if you miss or are hit; Lose Rage if you don't attack, or are not attacked."

So, what do the different levels mean?  First, you would have a Rage Bonus - let's say it's +1d6 at first character level.  This bonus applies to... let's say just melee weapon damage at the moment.  As you gain Rage Points, the intensity of your Rage increases, and this bonus gets multiplied by the amount listed.  So, a first level Barbarian who is only in a Minor Rage (1 or 2 points) gets +1d6 damage, but the same Barbarian in a Greater Rage (5 or 6 points) gets +3d6 damage.

The Extreme Rage is where things are getting a bit out of hand; at that point, you take your Rage Bonus damage youself at the end of your turn.  You can avoid it (if things haven't gotten too crazy) by taking actions to drop your Intensity a bit - don't attack, move away from an opponent.

Pretty simplistic so far (though it takes up a lot of space, I know; bear with me, I'm more or less typing my whole thought process as I work through it) - the class just has +damage, I know.

So here's where I hang "more interesting" effects onto the class.  Let the Barbarian get Totems - animals and other creatures that the Barbarian emulates during his Rage.  Originally I wanted them to just be static character choices, but now I'm not really seeing why they couldn't be selected whenever you trigger them.

You would "trigger" a totem when you move up an Intensity level, and you would choose a totem of the same level (or lower) to have active for the duration of your rage, or until your Intensity goes down a level.  I have no idea how many totems you might start with, or how often you might pick them up during character progression, but those are just specifics that can be ironed out later.  Right now, some examples:

Bat Totem
Minor Totem
Just as the bat finds his prey without seeing, your rage allows you to pinpoint creatures and strike at foes who think themselves safe.
     Effect: You get a +1 bonus on Wisdom checks or Wisdom-based skill checks you make to spot hidden objects or creatures, which is multiplied by your Rage Multiplier.  When you use an action in combat to Search, and you spot at least one hidden creature, you can make an attack on one of those creatures as a part of the same action.

Bull Totem
Lesser Totem
Like an angry bull you smash your way around the battlefield, knocking creatures back with your mighty charge.
     Effect: When you move at least 20 feet and then hit a creature with a melee weapon attack and that creature is no more than one size category larger than you, you also push it up to 5 feet away from you.  The distance you push the creature is multiplied by your Rage Multiplier.

Wolverine Totem
Minor Totem
You strike with the unrelenting savagery of a wolverine, swinging again and again, until your target is overwhelmed.
     Effect: When you miss with a melee weapon attack, the target of the attack takes damage equal to your Rage Bonus, which is multiplied by your Rage Multiplier.

So, brief (and rough) examples, I know.  But enough for me to give an example, at least.

Let's say you have Cave the Barbarian.  He's a level 1 character.  He knows 3 totems (the three above, coincidentally).

He is in a fight!

• Cave wins initiative, and goes first. 

• On his first turn, his Rage Points are 0, and he is not yet raging.  He decides that that's stupid, he wants to kill this guy, so he moves up to his opponent and uses the Don't Make Lemonade! ability.  This gives him 1 RP, and moves him up to a Minor Rage, so he gets a totem, and picks the Wolverine Totem.  He also makes an attack (because DML allows him to as part of the same action), and hits.  He deals his weapon damage, plus his Rage Bonus (+1d6).  The bonus is multiplied by x1, because he's only in a Minor Rage.

• His opponent goes now, and attacks Cave right back.  The opponent hits, and does his damage.

• Cave starts his second turn, and gets +1 RP because he's taken damage since his last turn.  He only has 2 RP, so he's still only in a Minor Rage (x1).  He attacks, but misses.  He still deals damage equal to his Rage Bonus (1d6) because of his Wolverine Totem, but because he missed he gets +1 RP, which bumps him up to 3 RP, and a Lesser Rage.  He picks a second totem now, and chooses the Bull Totem.

• His opponent goes again, and attacks Cave.  The opponent misses this time.

• Cave starts his third turn.  He is in a Lesser Rage now, and he attacks, and hits.  He deals his weapon damage, plus his Rage Bonus x2 (so +2d6).  The opponent is killed.

• At this point, there's no real need to track rounds, or Rage Points.  Cave's RP are going to go down by 2 each turn that he doesn't attack, and isn't attacked himself.  He's back to normal a few seconds after the fight ends.

Anyways: Brain Dump!  Enjoy!
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Only if they call the resource you're tracking Combustible Lemons.

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I love the idea...
What if the "rage" thing was grossly simplified:

Subtract current HP from max HP.  Add that number to melee damage rolls.
The rage escalation mechanic sounds really neat. But I'd worry it would be a little complicated to deal with in practice.
Rage Mechanic

I'm not sure "you can make an attack as a part of the same action" quite sells the idea that you're working yourself up to a frenzy. In fact, spending an action to drop into Rage would be better. 

Gaining Rage Points: taking/dealing damage is iconic and should be the key method for generating Rage (so you might want to gain 1 per X amount of damage), but I don't like being unable to take an action making you gain a point - yes, it sells frustration, but we're talking about someone going out of their mind berserk, not stuck in traffic. In fact, I think being unable to take an actions should decrease your rage - you're on an adrenaline bender, and if you slow down, you're going to begin calming down as your body desperately tries to avoid burnout. I'm also not incredibly keen on missing gaining you Rage (again, that's more frustration than berserking).

EDIT: while it's stealing a bit from (/clutches pearls) WoW, I kind of like the idea of the Barbarian being able to do themselves 1dX in damage to gain the result in Rage to start off the fight - really evokes the idea of some madman bashing himself about to get really worked up and scaring the hell out of everyone, friend or foe. 

Losing Rage Points: I'd add being unable to take an action or having not attacked period; that way, the Barbarian plays like a shark that has to keep swimming, always careening into the next group of enemies to keep the momentum going. 

Overall, I'd favor some sort of scaling over just straight +1s. 

Rage Bonus: feels a bit CS-ey, and not particularly evocative of a Chu Chulainn-style hulking out. I feel like Rage Points should be used as a common pool of Temporary HP and Temporary Strength Damage Bonus. That way, you're still shrugging off damage and hitting things very hard, but you're making choices about whether you want to risk dropping your real HP and potentially falling unconscious but hitting like a Mack truck or whether you want to try to outtough your opponent. 

Totems I like. 

Race for the Iron Throne - political and historical analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Every edition of Barbarian I've seen has always seemed less Conan and more Hulk Hogan.

Every edition of Barbarian I've seen has always seemed less Conan and more Hulk Hogan.

I'm okay with that.  Tongue Out
(Or maybe I'm mostly okay with The Rock getting fake-beaten-up.)
(... God I hate "wrestling".  I can't even watch this thing without cringing.)

(It might also have more to do with Conan not really needing his own "class" for what is essentially "Fighter [with a Different Background] and some multiclassing".)
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
First of all, obviously the class feature's title is spot on. As a side note, I think that the rages should have their own distinct names rather than the boring default rating-name titles. If the titles sound like natural speech, it's a good title. "Extreme rage" sounds like it could fit under such a paradigm.

Secondly, I don't think that the barbarian's features should be combat-centric. They should be brute force-centric -- it should be set up such that barbarians can apply their rage to a wide array of situations, and their application in combat should often feel tangential. It'd give the barbarian a distinct sheen and possibly a distinct niche. Because you might say that the Fighter is the guy you bring to a brawl and the Rogue spots the traps, but we all know that the Barbarian's the guy that's gonna lift the boulders and turn over the carriage.

Just with that example, I highly recommend that barbarians get a set of daily "Instant Rages." That is, a barbarian doesn't just know how to build up the fire, he knows how to get it roaring right at the moment he needs to. How many times per day he can make it flare up increases over the course of the levels. It's important to note that the rage mechanic itself would remain at-will. This would just mean that if you need the barbarian to perform a feat of strength and flip the getaway vehicle, he's ready to bring it. Or if he isn't, he knows he could have been if he'd planned for this.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
The rage escalation mechanic sounds really neat. But I'd worry it would be a little complicated to deal with in practice.

This. It does seem a little complicated to keep up with the multipliers. Make it a 1 to 1 scaling system and I think you'll be fine. Make the rage cap 3, or so, and just say When he takes damage he gets one, when he deals damage he gets one, and maybe a couple of other little modifiers. Not too many, because you don't want it to stack too fast. Then when they use totems it's easier to add the up to 3 rage points, like 5 ft + 5 ft per rage point, than to have to remember the multiplier. Multipliers also tend to get out of hand a lot quicker than addition, so there's that as well.

Also, as I've already seen it a couple of times in this thread, lets try out hardest NOT to just use mechanics from WoW warriors. It's easy, I know, but it's a video game and therefore it's mechanics work differently. Let's brainstorm original stuff, not just use examples from other sources.
My two copper.
I think the idea is sound and has merit, but I think you should make it...simpler, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

First, remove the tiers and multipliers.  Just give a bonus equal to the Rage level.  +X damage.  +X speed.  +X Armor Piercing.  +X Damage Reduction.  +X whatever.  Get rid of the generating rage ability--instead, just have the rage granting conditions grant rage whenever you throw yourself totally into the Rage (represented by voluntarily granting advantage to attackers until your next action).  If you don't grant advantage, you can't gain rage that turn, and you lose one extra point, too.

If I'm being realistic, though, I don't think this is a direction the developers will go.  Keeping track of "rage level" will be a quirky problem.  I mean, what do you do?  Insist Barbarians have tokens or an elecronic device to count or something?  Put a number line on the sheet for tracking (and either have a token you can't accidentally bump or have extreme erasures)?  Use a die to count up (that you need to never bump or accidentally roll)?  I'm not saying it's difficult to track, just quirky, and to be honest, I can't figure out how one could professionally write up a way to do it.  

I mean, this number will change a lot--every round, in fact, probably by more than one point at a time.  It will get even crazier when you take into consideration the idea that multiple positive and negative conditions might have been met in a single turn's span.  So, yeah, you can't just do it the way most handle Daily Spells (notecards they flip over, or spell slots they check off), because it will be changing way more than once a day.

Further, I think an escalating power will be really, really weak given the way they are balancing encounters at the moment.  You'll have to contend with Daily-users nova-ing the encounter before you build up, or at the very least, feeling weak for the most common rounds of combat (every combat has a first round--very few have a 4th or 5th).

I feel like, for practicality, Rage bonuses need to be full power every time it's on.  

As I said in another thread about this, I foresee Rage working as "take penalty X for bonus Y."  A creature in a Wandering Monster preview had the ability Rage +5/5, which gave you disadvantage on the attack, and dealt 5 damage even on a miss.  The Orc in the packet we have now has Rage +5, which lets the orc take disadvantage to the attack roll in order to add 5 damage on a hit.

I'd expect to see a large number of "Rage" abilities offered that the Barbarian gets to choose from, like the way the Fighter gets maneuvers.

I expect the core two manuevers to be something like (with X and Y scaling by level):

1) Take disadvantage on an attack roll to deal +X damage with Armor Piercing X (or X/2 or however they determine the math should work).
2) Grant advantage to attackers until your next action to reduce the next hit against you by Y damage.

I assume there'd be a big list of abilities you could get by taking or granting disadvantage from knockbacks to multi-attacks to fear effects--it's theoretically limitless.  Of course, there'd have to be a provision such that you can't grant disadvantage to gain a buff if you already would have it for whatever reason (to prevent "if I already have it, it can't get worse" mindsets).

But I could see other trade options.  Maybe take damage (representing exhaustion, or pushing your body past what it can normally handle) for effects?  How about losing your reaction for some minor buff?  Risking some condition to generate one?

I don't know--I'm sure some will call it boring, but it seems likely from how they're designing monsters. 
I tend to like storytellers ideas better. I've always though of a barbarians rage as similar to Goku going super sayian. A warrior seeing something/someone that infuriates him beyond recognition of even his closest friends. Over time he learns to invoke this rage at his own will but it's still an instant inrush of emotion. While the escalating rage would be interesting, I'm afraid it would not be something I would enjoy playing at length.

I do however like the idea of totem. I really enjoyed the totem alternatives found in complete champion in 3.5 and would love to see a return in some aspect in Next. Perhaps a static rage ability and progressing totem abilities that have an effect that can end a rage with a devestating attack.
I've never really been a fan of "hulk smash" type of rage.  The 4e barbarian is thematically my favorite.  A warrior that channels primal power to increase his own abilites and gain new ones.

The grr I'm angry babarian is just a fighter with a schtick to me.
I think Barbarian should be a Background, like Samurai (a cultural/social status); you can have a barbaric party (barbaric fighter, barbaric cleric, barbaric wizard etc).
I think Barbarian should be a Background, like Samurai (a cultural/social status); you can have a barbaric party (barbaric fighter, barbaric cleric, barbaric wizard etc).

Savage can be a background
Berzerker (minor rage feats) can be a specialty
Make Barbarian it's own class.

I like the idea of a fluctuating Rage mechanic, but yeah it's a little hard to track.

The idea that you deal more damage based on the difference between your Max and Current HP's is a fun idea too, High Risk High Return.

But yeah so far they've semi revealed Rage mechanics and I'm expecting: Disadvantage gives you X Y and or Z abilities, most likely +X to damage, DR/Y and +Z to your speed.

1) Savage can be a background

2) Berzerker (minor rage feats) can be a specialty

3) Make Barbarian it's own class.

1) Fine.

2) Cool.

3) No. 
I also like Storyteller's idea. (Not to say your own idea wasn't awesome, greatfrito.) I think rage "levels" are a little complex. Maybe it could be something where an extreme circumstance triggers a Rage. The triggers could be:

*You drop to 1/2 HP
*An ally you can see drops to 0 HP
*You critically miss with an attack

Or it could be something you can trigger yourself, like in 3.5e.

As for what a Rage does, I think extra damage is obvious. The ability score bonuses from 3.5e should be replaced by a simple +X damage. Maybe you can take feats/Rage options to add other benefits, like +X Speed or Heal X HP.

I also like Storyteller's idea. (Not to say your own idea wasn't awesome, greatfrito.) I think rage "levels" are a little complex. Maybe it could be something where an extreme circumstance triggers a Rage. The triggers could be:

*You drop to 1/2 HP
*An ally you can see drops to 0 HP
*You critically miss with an attack

Or it could be something you can trigger yourself, like in 3.5e.

As for what a Rage does, I think extra damage is obvious. The ability score bonuses from 3.5e should be replaced by a simple +X damage. Maybe you can take feats/Rage options to add other benefits, like +X Speed or Heal X HP.

Nah. That sounds too plain, too boring, and you shouldn't need feats to gain class abilities. 

So, I love greatfritto’s idea, but perhaps simplification is in order. So I did some brainstorming on how to simplify. I figured, why not do something like this:

A barbarian has something called a rage die. The size of the rage die increases as the barbarian levels. Every encounter a barbarian starts with zero rage dice. Any time the barbarian takes damage or attacks a target he gains one rage die. A barbarian may expend a rage dice on an attack to deal extra damage. At the end of a round, a barbarian may expend any unused rage dice to activate a totem. A totem is some sort of power that lasts until the end of the encounter (ala greatfritto’s totems). Any unused rage dice are lost at the end of a barbarian’s turn.

At first level a barbarian may have only one active totem at a time, though he would start with something like two totems of his choice (and can activate a new totem to replace the effect of the other). As he gains levels a barbarian would both increase the number of totems he may have active at the same time and learn new totems. Each totem would have some sort of rage dice cost associated with it: perhaps the effects of a totem would scale based on the size of the die expended, and the number of dice expended, or some such; some of the more powerful totems might have a minimum die size/number of dice expended as a requirement for activation.

Additionally, as a barbarian levels he would gain frenzies. Frenzies are extra conditions which cause the barbarian to gain a rage die when they are met (and by choosing from a large list of frenzies a barbarian could customize how he rages/what in combat conditions cause him to rage).

Barbarian’s could also gain bellows, special AoE effects centered on the barbarian which must be activated by using an action to spend X number of rage dice (based on the effect of the bellow).

Barbarian’s could also gain some rogue like skill bonuses related to athletic activities.  

Additionally, as a barbarian levels he would gain frenzies. Frenzies are extra conditions which cause the barbarian to gain a rage die when they are met (and by choosing from a large list of frenzies a barbarian could customize how he rages/what in combat conditions cause him to rage).  

Oh I like that ... one of the things I considered was allowing feats which altered how a Battlerager gained vigor *thp for instance.. gaining rage when your enemies attack an ally and such.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I like it. PFRPG RAGE mechanics are too independent of events affecting the barbarian. Too metagamey...I like the OP's idea.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Cyberdave, that idea sounds awesome.
Overall, whatever the specifics are, I want a barbarian that rages based on his actual anger, without having something too complicated to easily play.
Cyberdave, that idea sounds awesome.
Overall, whatever the specifics are, I want a barbarian that rages based on his actual anger, without having something too complicated to easily play.

Thanks, and I want much the same thing.

I liked several of the ideas that I've seen in this thread so I decided to mash them together with my own quirks and takes on the class and this is what came out.

Barbarian

Key abilities: Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom. You need strength to bash skulls in. Constitution helps you survive. Wisdom allows you find your prey and to better channel your rage for best effect.

Creating a Barbarian

Ability adjustments: +1 strength, constitution, or wisdom.

Hit points: 12+Con mod starting. 1d12 (or 8)+Con mod per level.

Armor Proficiencies: Light and Medium armor

Weapon Proficiencies: All weapons.

Hit Dice: 1d12 per level

Weapon Attack: +3 (Levels 1-3), +4 (Levels 4 and 5). In line with the Fighter.

Class Features

Indomitable Strength: Add your Constitution modifier as well as your strength modifier when determining strength based checks such as jumping, climbing, swimming, and so on. Also add half of your Constitution score rounded down as well as your Strength score when determining carrying capacity (I was originally thinking to add it all in but since monsters and gods are capped at 30 for attributes this would make a 20 Strength/20 Constitution Barbarian on par with a god for determining lifting and not stronger than one which would be a little awkward.)

Physical Paragon: You may wield two-handed weapons as if they were one-handed weapons. If your character is small you may wield two-handeds weapons normally.

Rage: When you fulfill certain conditions as determined by your Primal Lust you gain one point of rage which you may keep until you choose to expend it or until you take a short rest. The maximum number of rage points you may have at any time is equal to your Wisdom modifier or two, which ever is higher. When you spend a point of rage most effects allow you to add dice to determine the effect: 1d6 (levels 1 and 2), 1d8 (levels 3 and 4), 2d8 (level 5). All Barbarians may spend a rage point to use Rage Strike, Indomitability (Deadly Strike and Parry renamed and refluffed), and Dash (Add Wisdom modifier times 5 feet to your movement. This can be used to increase the distance of jumps, climbs, and swims as well. Yeah, this would get ridiculous with a 20 wisdom but even then it won't double your standard movement speed and how many Barbarians will favor wisdom over strength and con?)

Primal Lust: Choose your Barbaric Lust to determine how you rage and how you gain rage points.

Primal Lust

Bloodlust:

You gain rage points when you kill an opponent, land a critical hit against an opponent, or damage an opponent. You also gain a rage point when using Rage Strike (Negating the point used to activate it.).

Level 1 - Slash and Bash: You may spend a rage point to follow up an attack with an unarmed attack (Punch, kick, shoulder rush, etc.). You do not gain rage from the damage of this attack.

Level 3 - Whirlwind Attack: You may spend a rage point to make an attack against every creature with in reach of your weapon. You do not gain rage from the damage of this attack.

Level 5 - Killing Blow: You may spend two rage points to turn a hit in to a critical hit. You do not gain any rage from this attack.

Battlelust:

You gain rage points when you take damage, take a critical hit, an ally is rendered unconscious, or you use Indomitability (Negating the point used to activate it.).

Level 1 - Juggernaut: You may spend a rage point to take half damage from an attack. The effect takes place after Indomitability if you use both against the same attack.

Level 3 - Payback: After you are hit and take damage you may spend a rage point to do one rage dice worth of damage to your opponent.

Level 5 - War Cry: You may spend two rage points to give all enemies with in 30' of you disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Wanderlust:

You gain a rage point for every 15 feet that you move in a round and when using Dash (Negating the point used to activate it though you still gain rage for the additional movement though.).

Level 1 - Push: When you successfuly hit an opponent you may spend a rage point to knock them prone and push them five feet.

Level 3 - Pass Through: You may spend a rage point to not provoke opportunity attacks until the end of your turn.

Level 5 - Battle Frenzy: You may spend two rage points and combine your move and action to move your normal distance and make an attack against every creature that comes with in your attack range. (A full move would generally net you 2 rage points a turn, unless your barbarian has a 16+ wisdom, which would allow you to perform this move every turn however unless you use Pass Through as well you'll still provoke opportunity attacks)

long post

I liked several of the ideas that I've seen in this thread so I decided to mash them together with my own quirks and takes on the class and this is what came out.

Barbarian

Key abilities: Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom. You need strength to bash skulls in. Constitution helps you survive. Wisdom allows you find your prey and to better channel your rage for best effect.

Creating a Barbarian

Armor Proficiencies: Light and Medium armor

Class Features

Indomitable Strength: Add your Constitution modifier as well as your strength modifier when determining strength based checks such as jumping, climbing, swimming, and so on. Also add half of your Constitution score rounded down as well as your Strength score when determining carrying capacity (I was originally thinking to add it all in but since monsters and gods are capped at 30 for attributes this would make a 20 Strength/20 Constitution Barbarian on par with a god for determining lifting and not stronger than one which would be a little awkward.)

Physical Paragon: You may wield two-handed weapons as if they were one-handed weapons. If your character is small you may wield two-handeds weapons normally.

Rage: When you fulfill certain conditions as determined by your Primal Lust you gain one point of rage which you may keep until you choose to expend it or until you take a short rest. The maximum number of rage points you may have at any time is equal to your Wisdom modifier or two, which ever is higher. When you spend a point of rage most effects allow you to add dice to determine the effect: 1d6 (levels 1 and 2), 1d8 (levels 3 and 4), 2d8 (level 5). All Barbarians may spend a rage point to use Rage Strike, Indomitability (Deadly Strike and Parry renamed and refluffed), and Dash (Add Wisdom modifier times 5 feet to your movement. This can be used to increase the distance of jumps, climbs, and swims as well. Yeah, this would get ridiculous with a 20 wisdom but even then it won't double your standard movement speed and how many Barbarians will favor wisdom over strength and con?)

Primal Lust: Choose your Barbaric Lust to determine how you rage and how you gain rage points.

Primal Lust

Bloodlust:

You gain rage points when you kill an opponent, land a critical hit against an opponent, or damage an opponent. You also gain a rage point when using Rage Strike (Negating the point used to activate it.).

Level 1 - Slash and Bash: You may spend a rage point to follow up an attack with an unarmed attack (Punch, kick, shoulder rush, etc.). You do not gain rage from the damage of this attack.

Level 3 - Whirlwind Attack: You may spend a rage point to make an attack against every creature with in reach of your weapon. You do not gain rage from the damage of this attack.

Level 5 - Killing Blow: You may spend two rage points to turn a hit in to a critical hit. You do not gain any rage from this attack.

Battlelust:

You gain rage points when you take damage, take a critical hit, an ally is rendered unconscious, or you use Indomitability (Negating the point used to activate it.).

Level 1 - Juggernaut: You may spend a rage point to take half damage from an attack. The effect takes place after Indomitability if you use both against the same attack.

Level 3 - Payback: After you are hit and take damage you may spend a rage point to do one rage dice worth of damage to your opponent.

Level 5 - War Cry: You may spend two rage points to give all enemies with in 30' of you disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Wanderlust:

You gain a rage point for every 15 feet that you move in a round and when using Dash (Negating the point used to activate it though you still gain rage for the additional movement though.).

Level 1 - Push: When you successfuly hit an opponent you may spend a rage point to knock them prone and push them five feet.

Level 3 - Pass Through: You may spend a rage point to not provoke opportunity attacks until the end of your turn.

Level 5 - Battle Frenzy: You may spend two rage points and combine your move and action to move your normal distance and make an attack against every creature that comes with in your attack range. (A full move would generally net you 2 rage points a turn, unless your barbarian has a 16+ wisdom, which would allow you to perform this move every turn however unless you use Pass Through as well you'll still provoke opportunity attacks)

no don't hurt me!!
oh wait.
that was just the imaginary barbarians your post made me dream up. 

I love every bit of it... Wanderlust was something I was going for in a different thread, couldn't figure out how to word it. The whole class seems well thought out and could work... Heck I'll probably let someone use it even if it's not published in the next packet!

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
@Lechteron I love this write-up. I escpecially love the Con bonus to Strength skills and attributes. It gives the class an out-of-combat usefulness little seen in melee warrior classes. If only the fighter had some such ability...

Physical Paragon:You may wield two-handed weapons as if they were one-handed weapons. If your character is small you may wield two-handeds weapons normally.

I like Indomitable Strength a lot, although maybe a clarification that it doesn't include attacks and damage.

Given the current two-handed and two-weapon fighting rules, Physical Paragon isn't that useful at the moment. Maybe something like, when weilding a two-handed weapon, treat your Strength bonus as the minimum dice result for that weapon, or maybe add a flat damage bonus?

Using points to acquire dice seems overly complicated, and begins to model the Fighter too closely. 

Likewise, I think Indomitability doesn't suit the class well - Barbarians use their innate toughness to shrug off damage, not to reduce incoming damage. Likewise, I think there are other ways to model a Barbarian spike damage attack than just modeling off of the Fighter - the Barbarian's main strike could be a 2[W] strike, or could multiply Strength damage bonus, etc. 

Bloodlust:

I'm not entirely clear about point gain - do I get 2 points if I damage an opponent and they die?

Killing Blow feels appropriate, but Whirlwind Attack is already a high-level Fighter ability, and Slash and Bash is a bit meh, given that unarmed attack is 1d4. 

I think allowing the Barbarian to spend Hit Die in combat to give Temporary HP is much more evocative than reducing incoming damage. Payback could be made simpler - after you're hit and take damage, you can spend a Rage point to do X[Strength bonus] damage, and the like. War Cry seems really powerful - maybe give them disadvantage against you as opposed to against everyone?

Wanderlust:

Push copies two Fighter abilities, but Pass Through and Battle Frenzy seems ok, I think. 

Race for the Iron Throne - political and historical analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I like Indomitable Strength a lot, although maybe a clarification that it doesn't include attacks and damage.

Given the current two-handed and two-weapon fighting rules, Physical Paragon isn't that useful at the moment. Maybe something like, when weilding a two-handed weapon, treat your Strength bonus as the minimum dice result for that weapon, or maybe add a flat damage bonus?

Duly noted on Indomitable Strength. Physical Paragon is really supposed to mostly be a style thing but it does have some mechanical advantage in that you have a free hand to do some thing else. It's certainly not meaningless for the maul wielding Halfling or the one that wants a reach weapon other than a whip.

Using points to acquire dice seems overly complicated, and begins to model the Fighter too closely. 

Likewise, I think Indomitability doesn't suit the class well - Barbarians use their innate toughness to shrug off damage, not to reduce incoming damage. Likewise, I think there are other ways to model a Barbarian spike damage attack than just modeling off of the Fighter - the Barbarian's main strike could be a 2[W] strike, or could multiply Strength damage bonus, etc. 

It's not to acquire dice it's just that these are the bonus dice that you get when you spend a rage point. I modeled it after the Fighter on purpose. There's a definite connection between Fighters and Barbarians. Barbarians in my estimation are like Fighters but less refined and more primal. They don't get all the fancy tricks and control but they have definite similarities. Like Mike Mearls said in one of the recent panel discussions; you can have an archer fighter and call it a ranger and it essentially is but a ranger will be some thing more specific. I was going for the same sort of idea here. The problem with those is that it makes strength too useful over Con or Wis and x[W] scales kind of weird. Plus you have to remember that a Bloodlust Barbarian is going to be rage striking every round.

The Indomitability is essentially the same thing. They're so tough/initimidating/what ever that they don't really get hurt. It also allows Battlelust Barbarians to be that much tougher than their Bloodlust or Wanderlust counterparts since they can do it every time.

I'm not entirely clear about point gain - do I get 2 points if I damage an opponent and they die?

Yes, you would. It makes the Bloodluster a little more novay as opposed the very constant nature of the Wanderluster and the more in between nature of the Battleluster.

Killing Blow feels appropriate, but Whirlwind Attack is already a high-level Fighter ability, and Slash and Bash is a bit meh, given that unarmed attack is 1d4.

An unarmed attack is 1d4+strength but it also qualifies for Rage Strike which is essentially free for a Bloodlust Barbarian. So for the cost of one rage point they get 1[w]+str+1d6 and a second hit at 1d4+str+1d6. Is Whirlwind Attack a Fighter ability? I don't see it in the packet. Besides Cleave is a Fighter ability so why not Whirlwind be a Barbarian one?

I think allowing the Barbarian to spend Hit Die in combat to give Temporary HP is much more evocative than reducing incoming damage. Payback could be made simpler - after you're hit and take damage, you can spend a Rage point to do X[Strength bonus] damage, and the like. War Cry seems really powerful - maybe give them disadvantage against you as opposed to against everyone?

I think Hit Die should generally stay out of combat and I'm not really a fan of temporary HP. Payback is essentially Glancing Blow but with a different sort of trigger. Trying to keep things generally in line and balanced. War Cry is very powerful but that's why it costs 2 rage points. With it's range it will most likely only hit melee units and not the ranged fighters that are plocking arrows in to the Barbarian and those melee guys are probably engaged with the Barbarian any way. How about it giving all creatures with in 30 feet disadvantage? That way it would affect allies as well which makes sense.

Push copies two Fighter abilities, but Pass Through and Battle Frenzy seems ok, I think. 

To some extent it's supposed to. To some extent it's designed to aid party tactics and make the Barbarian and Rogue play off of each other very well which for some reason I find a bit on the classic combination side even though I can't quite explain why. Haha.

Duly noted on Indomitable Strength. Physical Paragon is really supposed to mostly be a style thing but it does have some mechanical advantage in that you have a free hand to do some thing else. It's certainly not meaningless for the maul wielding Halfling or the one that wants a reach weapon other than a whip.

Ah. I'm still not hugely thrilled with the idea of someone dual-weilding polearms though. 

It's not to acquire dice it's just that these are the bonus dice that you get when you spend a rage point. I modeled it after the Fighter on purpose. There's a definite connection between Fighters and Barbarians. Barbarians in my estimation are like Fighters but less refined and more primal. They don't get all the fancy tricks and control but they have definite similarities. Like Mike Mearls said in one of the recent panel discussions; you can have an archer fighter and call it a ranger and it essentially is but a ranger will be some thing more specific. I was going for the same sort of idea here. The problem with those is that it makes strength too useful over Con or Wis and x[W] scales kind of weird. Plus you have to remember that a Bloodlust Barbarian is going to be rage striking every round.

The Indomitability is essentially the same thing. They're so tough/initimidating/what ever that they don't really get hurt. It also allows Battlelust Barbarians to be that much tougher than their Bloodlust or Wanderlust counterparts since they can do it every time.

1. I think there are better ways to spike damage than just reskinning CS dice and calling it a day.
2. The Fighter is a formally trained soldier who relies on expertise and the Barbarian is a raw natural talent who relies on berserk fury. They should be and play very differently fromone another, as Mearls quote actually demonstrates. What he was getting at on the panel was that you don't want a Ranger to be an Archer Fighter with a nature Background - so you need to do something to make the class be more distinctive. Same here, you don't want the Barbarian to play as a Slayer Fighter with a tribal Background; the class needs to play distinctively differently, so avoiding reskinning mechanics is devoutly to be wished. 
3. Toughness doesn't prevent you from taking damage though, unless we're talking about some Damage Resistance here. What it means is that you can power through it and take more of it. Indomitability right now is a defensive maneuver that doesn't actually evoke toughness. 

An unarmed attack is 1d4+strength but it also qualifies for Rage Strike which is essentially free for a Bloodlust Barbarian. So for the cost of one rage point they get 1[w]+str+1d6 and a second hit at 1d4+str+1d6. Is Whirlwind Attack a Fighter ability? I don't see it in the packet. Besides Cleave is a Fighter ability so why not Whirlwind be a Barbarian one?

Fair enough regarding the unarmed attack. The Whirlwind Attack is mentioned in the 3rd PA/PVP podcast as a 9th level Slayer Maneuver. 

And the two should be different, because you want the playing experiences to be distinct, and so that in the game world the two have distinctive "silohuettes," such that if I see an NPC Cleave, I know they have fighter levels, but if they Sweeping Strike two targets at the same time, I know they're a Barbarian. 

I think Hit Die should generally stay out of combat and I'm not really a fan of temporary HP. Payback is essentially Glancing Blow but with a different sort of trigger. Trying to keep things generally in line and balanced. War Cry is very powerful but that's why it costs 2 rage points. With it's range it will most likely only hit melee units and not the ranged fighters that are plocking arrows in to the Barbarian and those melee guys are probably engaged with the Barbarian any way. How about it giving all creatures with in 30 feet disadvantage? That way it would affect allies as well which makes sense.

Pity, because I think temporary HP is a really evocative way for the Barbarian to get defensive abilities without making the class a Fighter clone. 

Again, I think it's good design to avoid reskinning/copying of abilities.

Regarding War Cry - making it friendly fire will really annoy the hell out of people; AOE disadvantage against you is pretty damn powerful as both a defensive move if you're getting mobbed and are low on HP, and a good offensive maneuver if you get yourself stuck into a good clump of enemies and give yourself a nice edge until the end of your next turn. 
What if instead of using the bonus die you can spend rage points to get a damage boost and just have the boost be a flat scaling number, 1d6 becomes roughly +4 damage, 1d8 is roughly +5, 2d8 is about +9 or 10. May have to smooth that out a bit.

Yes I'm rounding up, because berserkers should bloody well hurt people that's why. 
Paragon should allow you to wield a two handed Sword, Axe or Hammer one handed, rather than a blanket all two-handed weapons.
Paragon should allow you to wield a two handed Sword, Axe or Hammer one handed, rather than a blanket all two-handed weapons.

I don't want any class forced into a fighting/weapon style (dual-wielding, etc).

I don't want any class forced into a fighting/weapon style (dual-wielding, etc).

How does allowing a barbarian to wield a two handed weapon with one hand, force anything to anybody?

All I'm suggesting, is that for a barbrian to be able to wield a bow with one hand , doesn't make sense.   Nor other weapons where the two hands are needed for style rather than weight.

How does allowing a barbarian to wield a two handed weapon with one hand, force anything to anybody?

All I'm suggesting, is that for a barbrian to be able to wield a bow with one hand , doesn't make sense.   Nor other weapons where the two hands are needed for style rather than weight.

I don't think a class should wait until 11th level.

I'm just saying a class such as the barbarian or ranger should not be pigeonholed into a fighting/weapon-style 
I like that Barbarian trial, I just wonder about the names, I think bloodlust and wanderlust are great, but there are some future barbarian styles that won't work with the "lust" formulation, so I would drop it. Are these similar to the totems mentioned? Wolf, Boar, and Fox would be excellent names for these builds.

While I think if I was making 1st Edition I would make Barbarian a background and name this class Berserker, a certain amount of allegience to tradition says just keep Barbarian it's own class. I'd stay clear of savage though.
I'm glad the thread stayed super-cool.  Lots of great ideas.  Thumbs up.  Actually:

Anyways, a thought:

"Spending" Just Feels Wrong With Rage.  More of a personal thing, maybe, but "spending rage points" or "spending rage dice" for effects feels absolutely off to me.  I'd rather the Barbarian be all about Damage and, rather than the Fighter's more controlled Damage or.

That was part of why I wanted "totems" based on how hard you were raging, instead of "spening" to get them.  For a different (and somewhat simplified) approach, what about having the Barbarian "channel" some of his rage into different totems (or whatever)?  Big Angry Smashy Animal Totem might require you channel at least 2 Rage Dice (or whatever) - but when you do so, you don't lose or spend those dice, they're simplied tied up into that totem, so that you can't channel them into a different totem at the same time.

I'd also like to quickly toss out: while my idea wasn't much better in this regard, a "rage" value (points, dice, whatever) that fluctuates from 0 to however-many-you-get each round seems a bit too erratic for me.  I would much rather see it go up, or down, slower - taking multiple rounds to "build up" or "wind down", outside of special circumstances (like no opponents left to kill).
Feedback Disclaimer
A really, really simple barbarian:

Fury: When a barbarian takes damage, the Barbarian gains half that number of Fury points.  When a barbarian deals damage, the Barbarian gains half that number of Fury points.  If you stop advancing on or attacking enemies, you lose half your Fury at the end of your turn.

Unstoppable: At the end of your turn, you can turn any number of Fury points you have into temporary HP.  If you stop advancing on or attacking enemies, you lose half of these temporary HP at the end of your turn.

Bloodlust: When you make a melee attack with disadvantage, and the higher die hits, you can spend any number of Fury points to deal damage to the target.

Reckless Slaughter: When you are making a melee attack without disadvantage, you can choose to have disadvantage.  If you do so, you gain your Reckless dice in extra damage (starting at 1d6 at level 1) if you hit.

Blood letting: A barbarian may choose to roll their Reckless dice (starting at 1d6 at level 1) damage and gain that many Fury points at the start of the Barbarian's turn.

Probably to strong.  Fury points are basically proxy HP and damage tokens, which you can use to gain temp HP or deal more damage.  When you deal damage with Fury points, you get half of it back (Bloodlust), and when you soak damage with Fury points, you gain half of it back (as it is damage).

I personally never liked the 3rd edition Barbarian due to the rage ability, it was to much like a Berserker. What I would like to see is the Barbarian from the first edition or even 2cond edition. In 2cond you had a choice to the types of Barbarians including the Shaman. It fits what a Barbarian is suppose to be. Some modifications would have to be made for it to work in lower levels but it would be an awsome Barbarian. I would use the rage as an optional background choice if you wanted to play a Berserker.
I think a lot of these ideas are neat, but they don't serve the barbarian well. The barbarian can't compete with the Fighter -- or, it shouldn't try to. It should try to be something apart from "the best guy on the battlefield." I still assert that the Barbarian should be "the strongest guy out there." There might be a better trained people, but no one is going to be able to accomplish the feats of strength that the barbarian is capable of. And the barbarian's class features should reflect that goal, lending combat-specific bonuses infrequently. All of these combat tactics and game-y bonuses to combat stuff sound very much like something a Fighter would have.

Also, spending rage dice is an unnecessary emulation of the Fighter. I'd rather that there were rage stages, and what rage stage you were at (stages 1 through 5, say) determined how many dice or bonuses or whatever you would get on whatever things rage did (so at stage 1, you roll an extra 1d4 whenever you do stuff; at stage 5, it's 5d4). Mostly it'd be bonuses to strength checks, strength attacks and strength damage rolls.  Maybe temporary hit points, too.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
For all of my focus on damage bonuses, Caeric, I've just assumed that we'd have some bonus to Strength/Strength-based checks along the same lines.  So wherever I'm talking about "Rage Bonuses" or "Rage Dice", just assume that whatever multiplier I'm sticking to it is also multiplying a bonus to the Str/Str-based stuff.

EDIT: So, if I can just make stuff up at random for a moment, if the Barbarian has a 3x Rage or whatever, he has 3x his damage bonus (say 3 x 1d6 for 3d6 total) and 3x his Strength bonus (say 3 x +1 for +3 total), - and this bonus would be able to exceed the ability cap of 20.

Well, that, and whatever I've thrown out is just focused on a Rage mechanic (which is why we're getting a class, apparently?), and not other features (though other folks have certainly been brainstorming the non-rage side of thigns).

EDIT2: You could easily also have something like the Rogue's skill mastery, but only for raw Strength checks, raw Constitution checks, and trained Strength- or Constitution-based skill checks.
Feedback Disclaimer

I've never been a huge fan of overtly supernatural Barbarians. Not to say that they shouldn't be supernatural to some extent it should just be very subtle and that any thing more obviously supernatural shouldn't be until level 10+. The way that I view Barbarians is that the Barbarian is to the Fighter what the Sorcerer is to the Wizard. There were some good ideas here though and some balance issues that I was thinking about so here's a second draft of the build I posted earlier.

The reason that I have a spending system is that a Barbarian is always raging in a fight but he pulls off his really spectacular abilities when he focuses his rage and that's where Wisdom comes in. Wisdom allows a Barbarian to focus and channel his rage more effectively. What's more terrifying, the guy that is angry or at the drop of a hat and smashes some stuff or the guy that's calm and then all of a sudden in a controlled and focused but entirely savage rampage? Further Wisdom is often associated with supernatural nature stuff in D&D. This allows the feel of a powerful warrior with subtle "magic" enhancing his raw talent and power.

I think this build feels a little better and makes Wisdom more valuable with out making it an absolute must have stat, which I like. I realize that others may not like that but it fits MY view of a Barbarian. It is a little MAD but that's by design. It allows you to focus where you want to focus so you can have different kinds of Barbarians.

Barbarian

Creating a Barbarian

Armor Proficiencies: Light armor

Class Features

Rage: When you fulfill certain conditions as determined by your Primal Lust you gain one point of rage which you may keep until you choose to expend it or until you take a short rest. The maximum number of rage points you may have at any time is equal to your Wisdom modifier or two, which ever is higher. When you spend a point of rage, unless otherwise noted, you get the following bonuses (2+Wisdom mod at level 1, 3+Wisdom mod at level 2, 4+Wisdom mod at level 4). All Barbarians may spend a rage point to use Rage Strike (Add rage bonus damage to an attack), Indomitability (After you take damage you may spend a rage point to heal yourself by your rage bonus*), and Dash (Add Wisdom modifier times 5 feet to your movement. This can be used to increase the distance of jumps, climbs, and swims as well. Yeah, this would get ridiculous with a 20 wisdom but even then it won't double your standard movement speed and how many Barbarians will favor wisdom over strength and con?)

Primal Lust

Bloodlust:

Level 3 - Frenzied Rage: You may spend a rage point to attack your rage bonus number of separate targets with in your weapon reach as a single attack. You do not gain rage from the damage of this attack.

Battlelust:

Level 1 - Juggernaut: You may spend a rage point to reduce incoming damage by your rage bonus.

Level 3 - Payback: After you are hit and take damage you may spend a rage point to do your rage bonus worth of damage to your opponent.

Level 5 - War Cry: You may spend two rage points to give all enemies with in 15' of you disadvantage on attack rolls until the beginning of your next turn.

Wanderlust:

Level 1 - Trample: After attacking an opponent you may spend a rage point to move up to 10 feet with out provoking opportunity attacks. You may move through the square of a hostile creature. If you move through the square of a hostile creature make a strength check (Don't forget Indomitable Strength) opposed by the creature's strength. If you win the contest the creature is knocked prone and if you lose your movement is prevented.

*I did this with Indomitability to simulate temporary hit points with out the clunkiness and book keeping that it brings. It also has the nice effect that if you're too weakened you can't stay on your feet indefinitely. It does allow a Battlelust Barbarian to wade through a near infinite number of enemies that are too weak to do more damage per attack than he can heal which just feels right especially with hit points being an abstraction.

Im still not a fan of rage, but the way you have it, it works with what you have. I would actually like to play one to see how it works out. WHen playing third edition, I recreated the first edition Barberian with some of 2cond edition and some of third edition, all using the guidelines of third edition rules. I kept in mind that it was more powerful then fighter and the standard barbarian. So i made it were  no other class could cross-class into it, or that Barberian could not cross-class to other classes without loosing the abilities. It had restrictions to balance its advantages that 1st edition gave the Barbarians,such as magic ristrictions when it came to items.