9/11/2012 RC: "Operation of Orders"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Jarad's Orders is not a good card. The card is just Diabolic Tutor with a creature-only clause and entomb stapled onto it. Entomb is a very powerful card -- when it costs one mana and is doing something degenerate. Dumping a Gravecrawler or Jarad into the graveyard for four mana isn't degenerate. If the other half of the card were doing something desirable for this deck it might be playable, but a midrange graveyard value deck really isn't looking for a tutor effect.
I'm not gonna say its not a good card, but when Lili is cut to fit it into a deck, you know something is wrong.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

"Arbor Elf serves a couple important roles. First, it speeds up the deck. A turn-two Splinterfright or Dreg Mangler can put pressure on your opponent quickly"

I dont really think a turn 1 elf turn 2 Splinterfright is that good....

Anyway for commander that card looks fun. 
But like said above; worth cutting lili for it? 
It says: "Search your library for up to two creature cards and reveal them. Put one of them into your hand and the other into your graveyard."

So if you only search one creature, will that be the one or the other?
I think that Arbor Elf does not belong in this deck.  There are only 8 cards that cost 3 in the entire deck and like DeEer stated, a turn 2 Splinterfright is not good....... so having the elf for a 3/3 haster on turn 2 in a graveyard/creature based deck doesn't seem so hot.

And Tree of Redemption should prolly just be in the sideboard in my opinion. 
Hey, a turn-two Splinterfright's not that bad! I mean, it instantly dies, so it puts a creature card in your graveyard, which is good in this deck! Right? It means the second Splinterfright can be 1/1... or it pumps up Jarad a little... right, guys? Guys?
In a long game, the chances of your opponent surviving an attack from this are about as likely as his or her chances of perfectly baking a soufflé while on a spaceship.

But where are they getting the milk from?

Seriously, though. The card is... not bad. Judging by Fabricate and Idyllic Tutor, a card that tutors for a creature and puts it in your hand should cost . Staple Entomb onto that should get you the card's cost. But I would've slashed a colorless from the card...
Hey, a turn-two Splinterfright's not that bad! I mean, it instantly dies, so it puts a creature card in your graveyard, which is good in this deck! Right? It means the second Splinterfright can be 1/1... or it pumps up Jarad a little... right, guys? Guys?

no you will on turn 3 play an almighty 3/3 Jarad
When Jarad was first revealed, I kept making "Jared from Subway" jokes with my friends. Now, they got a card for Jarad's Orders? I gotta mock up a card of Jared ordering a sandwich.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Firstly: With all the color fixing available, drop Arbor Elf and splash Blue for Deranged Assistant and Mirror-Mad Phantasm. Secondly, cut the two Gravecrawlers and Disciple of Bolas. They seem good in this deck, but they're not. Bring in more Kessig Cagebreakers, so that without Jarad you can win the game with a token swarm.

Add moar Ghoultree to bring in from the Sideboard; Tormod's Crypt will KILL this deck otherwise. Maybe a Laboratory Maniac as a singleton? Get rid of the Guildmage; it's bad even in this deck.

Hmm, I currently have a G/U Mill Yourself deck that I want to update for the new Standard, and I was thinking of making it G/B for the new Golgari cards, so this is pretty much right up my alley. Of course, all this talk of Liliana makes me weary, since I do NOT want to have to get 3 copies of a 20$ card. I mgiht be able to justify to myself getting a playset of shocklands or Woodland Cemetary, but I hate hate hate spending that much on a single card.
Hmm, I currently have a G/U Mill Yourself deck that I want to update for the new Standard, and I was thinking of making it G/B for the new Golgari cards, so this is pretty much right up my alley. Of course, all this talk of Liliana makes me weary, since I do NOT want to have to get 3 copies of a 20$ card. I mgiht be able to justify to myself getting a playset of shocklands or Woodland Cemetary, but I hate hate hate spending that much on a single card.

Liliana does not seem at all necessary in this deck, but I'm also really unconvinced that this Golgari version is an improvement from the Innistrad GU version. The great thing about a card like Tracker's Instincts is that if you mill it, you can still flash it back. Cards like Grisly Salvage, Jarad's Orders and Mulch, not so much. You also get a good mana acceleration play in the GU version with a turn 2 Armored Skaab. And I agree that I really don't see the point of the Gravecrawlers in this deck, at all. Seems like another case where GU is better, as you can use Skaab Ruinator as your backup plan there.
"Arbor Elf serves a couple important roles. First, it speeds up the deck. A turn-two Splinterfright or Dreg Mangler can put pressure on your opponent quickly"

I dont really think a turn 1 elf turn 2 Splinterfright is that good....

Anyway for commander that card looks fun. 
But like said above; worth cutting lili for it? 

I'm not even sure a turn 2 Splinterfright is anything more than a 0/0.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Minor quibble:

Grisly Salvage:

The word "salvage" appears on 10 other cards. Of them, six (6) care about moving cards from your graveyard TO your hand or library, in the sense that "salvage" means "save something from ruin or being forgotten." The others care about cards in a graveyard (3), or merely refer to Goblin destructiveness, which makes it an outlier to the whole.

Grisly Salvage puts things into graveyards, which is the direct opposite of what "salvage" means. It SHOULD say:

"Put the top five cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand."

There ... you're actually "salvaging" something.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments