Vraska the Unseen - green/back speculative deck

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, this new lady is pretty cool.

But what kind of deck can be built around her? At the moment, I have only the sketchiest of ideas, but I am hoping perhaps we can get the ball rolling on what cards may work well with her and see if we can come up with anything fun.

Now, it's very possible there are cards yet to be previewed for the new set that may have crazy synergy with her, but for now, let's work with what we've got.

This is all of the possible cards I've come up with that I think may be useful for supporting her, protecting her, and making the most of her abilities. Let me know if you think some should be added or eliminated from the list, or if you have an actual deck list in mind I'd be delighted to see if. I will likely post my own idea once a clearer picture emerges of what kind of deck she'd be most at home in.

Common

Abundant Growth - Drawing a card and more mana versatility seems like a good idea.
Ambush Viper - Flash and deathtouch always a good combo for interfering with ur opponents plans
Bond Beetle - good small early monster, with possibility to buff ur game ending tokens later
Cobbled Wings - once you have those game ending tokens, you need a delivery system...
Dead weight - the first of several cards put here with disrupting a attacking creature that is Just strong enough to kill your planeswalker
Death Wind - Same principle as above, just more customizable for later game when you have more mana
Fog - hold of possible destruction of planeswalker or whatever for at least a turn
Terrifying Presence - another card used to mess up your opponents plans and keep you in control
Unhallowed Pact - enchant a creature that, while they were willing to sacrifice it to kill ur planeswalker, may now have 2nd thoughts
Cower in Fear - another card to help control the battlefield
Slitherhead low cost hybrid cards always welcome, and the scavenge aint bad either
Golgari Guildgate - two colour mana production. Nuff said

Uncommon

Blood Artist - Another card to make throwing little monsters at your planeswalker more unattractive
Barter in Blood - help clear the board for the game ending tokens
Blood Reckoning - Make attacking you and your planeswalker that much more unattractive
Dreg Mangler - decent mid game creature that matches the colours
Korozda Guildmage - again, matches the colours, and has some useful abilities, 1st one is good for game ending tokens
Rancor - an old favorite, and trample could be useful for the tokens
*Revive - need to get that planeswalker back, or another crucial card? Done.
Wolfir Avenger - flash and regenerate aint bad

rare

Abrupt Decay - matches the colours, removal. Nuff said
Increasing Ambition - help get the planeswalker out and doing her thing
Killing Wave - clear the field for the tokens
Lost in the Woods - another layer of defense
Mutilate - more control and death causing maybe
*Parallel Lives - what's worse than 3 game ending tokens? Six game ending tokens
Overgrown tomb - MANA
Revenge of the Hunted - Trample aside, the last line about everyone blocking the target allows the other two tokens a clear attack

Some of these are kinda reaching, but I'm casting a wide net to start with.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

-face palm-
you seem to have this confused with zombies

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

-face palm-

...did I miss something?

If you're going to troll, don't make it so obvious.
-face palm-

...did I miss something?

Check out the spoilers. There's lots to pull from to add to these lists. 

Also, there's a tendency for some people to post nothing/disdain rather than contribute. I think it defeats the purpose of message boards personally, but whatevs.

A neat thing about RtR is there'll be more tri-color decks, so I wouldn't limit your deck buildnig strategies to just BG. Shocklands rule, and with the fetch abilities of BG you'll have a lot of options to make sure you're dropping lands at least every turn.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Check out the spoilers. There's lots to pull from to add to these lists. 

A neat thing about RtR is there'll be more tri-color decks, so I wouldn't limit your deck buildnig strategies to just BG. Shocklands rule, and with the fetch abilities of BG you'll have a lot of options to make sure you're dropping lands at least every turn.

Hm, I find your point on tri-colours well taken. Might consider some red. What do you think?

The official previews seem to have caught up to the spoilers, unless i'm missing something...hm

yea, very likely jund or junk will be real midrange decks

and don't mind  SeishinKizuna as i don't think i've ever seem him post anything thing of substance

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Hey Urb! I remember you from the werewolf deck threads. How are you?

OT:

I am going to use her in a Jarad.dec but I just really happen to love the combos he has with Scavenge and Troll. With that in mind, Killing Wave is not bad at all and Revive would probably a 2 of to get back abrupt decay or perhaps a way to get back Jarad without losing a land (or two depending if I have the dual land or not).

I have seen someone mention a B/G/W reanimator deck and he is using her. So I would think any controlish G/B that is going to at least turn 5 will get some use out of her.
Hey Urb! I remember you from the werewolf deck threads. How are you?

OT:

I am going to use her in a Jarad.dec but I just really happen to love the combos he has with Scavenge and Troll. With that in mind, Killing Wave is not bad at all and Revive would probably a 2 of to get back abrupt decay or perhaps a way to get back Jarad without losing a land (or two depending if I have the dual land or not).

I have seen someone mention a B/G/W reanimator deck and he is using her. So I would think any controlish G/B that is going to at least turn 5 will get some use out of her.

Hello Speedy, it's nice someone remembers my WW brainstorming threads, I think i got a good WW deck out of the process (now if only i had someone to play against more often, ha!)

In regards to a Jara deck, I have some doubts. Pardon my ignorance here, but it seems like having a Vraska and Jarad in the same deck seems to have a conflict of interest. Jarad benefits from having creatures in the graveyard, while Vraska doesn't really gain anything from it.

If you recall where you saw the remanimator deck, I've love to take a look, I am still trying to nail down what sort of deck Vraska would work well in (though considering how she just keeps going up in price is discouraging).

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

This is the thread. I really like the decklist he has, but you don't really need to make it reanimator to make a good deck with her.

The reason why I said Jarad is that they ae both threats. They are both ways to win and Vraska can help stall out the opponent enough so Jarad can start going to work. Just because they are not totally in sync with each other does not mean that they do not work well together. Remember, Vraska can destroy ANY non land permament, so she can help get rid of pesky defenders while Loltroll and Jar go through, or handle opposing planeswalkers. Or even O-ring type effects that would get them out of the game.
Thanks for the link Speedy. Sorry it took me so long to respond, life happened, and to be honest I have been a tad discouraged by how pricey Vraska is getting.

Your point on Jarad is a good one, as any deck that has only one path to victory is most certainly being asked to be screwed over. And while there may not be any direct combos between Jar and Vraska, they are still the same colours, so there's that anyway.

So, I got tired of not having a possible deck list for people to comment on and for me to work with, so I've thrown together something. It's very rough atm, but I wanted to get the ball rolling, so here it is.

Creatures(24)
2x Corpsejack Menace
2x Rix Maadi Guildmage
3x Dreg Mangler
3x Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
3x Korozda Guildmage
3x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Lotleth Troll
4x Slitherhead

Spells(15)
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Dreadbore
2x Vraska the Unseen
2x Rancor
2x Revive
3x Killing Wave
2x Brimstone Volley

Lands (21)
2x Blood Crypt
2x Golgari Guildgate
2x Overgrown Tomb
6x Swamps
5x Forests
4x Mountains

Threw in a dash of red, let me know what you think.

I'm seeing Vraska being used as a finisher in control decks. Clear board make dudes win next turn...
I'm seeing Vraska being used as a finisher in control decks. Clear board make dudes win next turn...

That is the idea I guess, killing wave can certain help with that, and then with Golgari creatures in the graveyard (Dred mangler and Slitherhead), you can even pump them up a little so they can't be killed by easy 2 damage burn spells or something.

Hi there

im trying to build a deck around vraska too i was lucky enough to pull three from a couple of booster boxes but im only going to use two. i find sticking with green black seems to work fine chuck in four golgari decoys then you have a free route to opponent with instant death assassins. combine that with a few treasured finds and a few murders from m13 plus a couple of grave betrayals you have got yourself a fairly competant deck. i havent finished mine yet or played as i need a few cards but i think it will work well.