No magic missle for the sword mage?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Was just wondering why the sword mage doesn't have a basic ranged attack like magic missle or something. We've house ruled it so i have a simple one, but why wasn't something like this included? basically he just channels his arcana through his sword and slashes sending a wave of magic out(picture trunks from DBZ)

just wondering if anyone else came up with something like this or why it wasn't thought of by the dev team.
Because the Swordmage is a Defender, which is a melee class.  Standing back and plunking things at a distance isn't really his MO.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
you could multiclass wizard and get mm as an encounter power, if you are stuck way the hell away from something it could come in handy, plus the access to wizard feats can help some builds. swordmage and wizard also hybrid really well together imo, so there are other ways you can gain access to it and use it.

also check out the bladesinger, it gets access to mm like what youre talking about
Or if your secondary is Strength, you could do what other melee classes do and invest in a secondary throwing weapon.  Throwing Weapons - The poor man's magic missile.  Or instead of splitting focus between two weapons, you could apply the Farbound enchantment to your primary weapon, which gives an extra benefit to swordmages anyway.

You could also multiclass, hybrid, or take a theme that grants ranged attacks, such as Wilder, Veiled Alliance, or Order Adept.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Or if your secondary is Strength, you could do what other melee classes do and invest in a secondary throwing weapon.  Throwing Weapons - The poor man's magic missile.  Or instead of splitting focus between two weapons, you could apply the Farbound enchantment to your primary weapon, which gives an extra benefit to swordmages anyway.

You could also multiclass, hybrid, or take a theme that grants ranged attacks, such as Wilder, Veiled Alliance, or Order Adept.

naw my current DM aparently hates multi/hybrid cuz they break the game or something...was either thinking that or a bow lol

naw my current DM aparently hates multi/hybrid cuz they break the game or something...was either thinking that or a bow lol

Your DM is incorrect.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Your DM is incorrect.

And also wrong.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Also worth noting on thsi issue: Most Swordmages should probably be taking Intelligent Bladesmaster, which is a feat allowing you to use INT instead of STR for basic attacks - including heavy thrown RBAs.  Invest in a Farbond Spellblade.  Problem solved.

However, to get to the cusp of the original issue; talk to your DM about getting Magic Missile in addition to your other two at-wills.  You should find you virtually never use it anyway - Swordmages are mobile defenders, so they want to close on enemies, not sit back and plink.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Your DM is incorrect.

And also wrong.

so...are they overpowered or not....=/

No.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Your DM is incorrect.

And also wrong.

Multiclassing, hybriding, and themes, as a whole, are not overpowered.  Of course, there are a few combinations that can be brokeningly good if you intentionally build towards that goal, but you can build brokeningly good characters without them as well.
Well, one could say multiclassing is broken - the initial feat is unquestionably better than Skill Training, while the other power-swap feats are complete crap. Hybrids could also be considered "broken" because it isn't dummy-proof. Smile

I'd say just make a half-elf and pick Magic Missile as your Dilletante racial encounter power.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Magic Missile is terrible, and no one should ever expend resources to gain it as a power. If it's free, then sure.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Well, one could say multiclassing is broken - the initial feat is unquestionably better than Skill Training, while the other power-swap feats are complete crap. Hybrids could also be considered "broken" because it isn't dummy-proof. Smile

I'd say just make a half-elf and pick Magic Missile as your Dilletante racial encounter power.

Skill Training is a bit weak of a feat, though I do agree that the initial multiclass feats are generally unusually good feats. Enough so to justify the limit one as a mechanically meaningful limit.

The power-swap feats can be top tier feats if used well. It just depends what you're swapping for and what you're giving up, and how it works for your specific character. They certainly -can- be worthless, or even outright bad, but in those cases you don't take the feat (or if you're doing it for PMC only, you can actually chose not to swap).

My swordmage, for example, traded a daily for Mind Blade, a daily that knocks a target unconcious (save ends), allowing multiple coup de gras. My bard traded a utility for Wrath of the Gods: encounter long power bonus to damage rolls for multiple party members (sometimes we'll cluster so we can lead off with it and get the whole party in the first round if we know we're going into a serious fight, other times I get who I can).
There are a lot of great powers out there, and for that matter some of them become better when placed on a different character chasis. Imagine Wail of Anguish on a Fighter (Weaponmaster) for example, even with lousy Cha (13 min I guess?). Now while it's active you can auto-mark every enemy that starts its turn within 3 turns of you. If you're lucky, they also take damage and can't shift. And since combat challenge is optional, you can always chose not to mark those that you'd rather not (say someone else has them marked, or they are in a defender aura that you don't want to free them from).

The power swaps cost a feat because they can be worth it, if you pick well. 
The idea that the power swap feats are "crap" is wrong.  It depends entirely on classes and build and what powers are available.  My build Set Hammers to Stun, generally considered a broken good charop defender build, powerswaps for Staggering Strike since it is a really good power that works with the build.  Powerswapping for powers that have debilitating status effects, multiattacks, minor/immediate attacks or other unintended synergies can be worth it, especially on builds where they have good features, but weak powers or average required powers.

A long time ago I had a shaman who power swapped out for Weave through the Fray since there were no better shaman choices at the time. That power really helped since we didn't have a defender and I kept getting stuck next to enemies and the immediate shift keyed off wisdom.  And in my warpriest handbook I recommend that most warpriests spend a feat to swap out one of their encounter attack powers.
Sign In to post comments