Playtester Profile with Wrecan

I'd like to thanks Wrecan's wife Wink

On a more serious note, good interview bro grats
Gracias!  It was thorough but fun!  (And the cranial chip they implanted during the interview barely itches anymore.)
I enjoyed reading your interview, Wrecan.

Im glad you mentioned the points you mentioned, including skills, your wifes hope for an alt Wizard spellcasting, and the importance of unbaking flavor.
Well played sir.
Gracias!  It was thorough but fun!  (And the cranial chip they implanted during the interview barely itches anymore.)

I was gonna say that interview was full of PR speak. It may have been your opinion but it sounded way too positive to be real... but then again it was an interview for a product by a company so we shouldn't expect anything less...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Congrats on being featured wrecan.

Good feedback and thanks for bringing up the skills subject. As you know that is a big one for me as well.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

I was gonna say that interview was full of PR speak. It may have been your opinion but it sounded way too positive to be real... but then again it was an interview for a product by a company so we shouldn't expect anything less...

Despite your belief to the contrary, it is possible for people to actually like what's going on.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
STOP READING MY THOUGHTS, WRECAN!

I definitely agree with you on the Skills system, Skill-Monkeys make it less enjoyable for me as someone who rarely plays a Skill-Monkey.

Thanks for bringing the Baked-in-Fluff to the fore as well.  Hopefully they take your comments to heart.

Also, WARLORD!           
STOP READING MY THOUGHTS, WRECAN!

so that is what the cranial chip is for....

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Despite your belief to the contrary, it is possible for people to actually like what's going on.

Oh I understand that people like what's going on, but even when he pointed out something wrong he put a positive spin on it. That's the definition of PR speak.

"Guess what you have unlimited non paid sick days now, and don't have to worry about your co-workers bothering you!"

"Umm... I'm being laid off aren't I?"
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

Oh I understand that people like what's going on, but even when he pointed out something wrong he put a positive spin on it. That's the definition of PR speak.

"Guess what you have unlimited non paid sick days now, and don't have to worry about your co-workers bothering you!"

So you're unhappy about the interview because Wrecan was polite.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Its ok. Lokiare once accused me of being a secret WotC employee, spreading WotC shill lines over the forums for a living. I don't think people should really take those sorts of comments, when he makes them, too seriously...
I like how wrecan handled the interview. It shows maturity and respect for the devs.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

My feelings are mixed.  Some good.  Some bad.  Good interview wrecan.  I think it sounded like wrecan.  And don't take this the wrong way but I feel that wrecan is a "company" man kind of personality at least with regards to D&D.  He puts a positive spin on it until he can't.  Not to say he's not criticial but he's pro WOTC in general.  Nothing wrong with that.  I was that guy until about six months into 4e. 

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

Heh, Im not sure about what critics are expecting from Wrecan. He unambiguously spelled out important criticisms, and did it in a constructive positive way. What exactly is the problem? I wish everybody did that, and did it that way. Also Wrecan pointed out things he loves about the Playtests so far, including speed of combat, just the right balance of distinctive monster mechanics, and simplicity, and how generally simple mechanics allows him as a DM to focus more on the story - and these are elements he hopes the future Playtests continue to offer. Perfect.
Heh, Im not sure about what critics are expecting from Wrecan. He unambiguously spelled out important criticisms, and did it in a constructive positive way. What exactly is the problem? I wish everybody did that, and did it that way. Also Wrecan pointed out things he loves about the Playtests so far, including speed of combat, just the right balance of distinctive monster mechanics, and simplicity, and how generally simple mechanics allows him as a DM to focus more on the story - and these are elements he hopes the future Playtests continue to offer. Perfect.

I agree.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that we didn't get feedback from the interviewer about the important modularity issues that Wrecan raised.  Of course, we shouldn't expect to get that from an interviewer.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Are you accusing me of something lokiare?  Let me rephase that, because it's pretty obvious you're accusing me of something.  Of what are you accusing me, lokiare?  I'd prefer you didn't beat around the bush.  If you have something to say to me, man up and say it.

I will say outright, that in the interview, I was given no limits on any of my responses.  I was not given questions ahead of time.  And none of my responses were edited.  This is how I am.  I am a lawyer by trade (as it says in the interview).  So if my responses seem, I don't know, professional, maybe it's not because it's a PR stunt, but because I'm actually a professional.

edited to add: this was an interview, not a Q&A.  So I didn't expect anybody to answer my concerns.  I'm just glad I was given the opportunity to express them.
Heh, Im not sure about what critics are expecting from Wrecan. He unambiguously spelled out important criticisms, and did it in a constructive positive way. What exactly is the problem? I wish everybody did that, and did it that way.  

Yes, wrecan can be pretty impressive.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I'm right there with you on the Warlord, wrecan. I haven't playtested the second packet yet, so I can't speak to skills. But I know that the Warlord has a place in Next and I'd like to see that actualized. It's good to see that Trevor was interested in your concerns and criticisms. I hope the devs read this interview and give it some weight in their thinks.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Interview questions
No haiku within answers
zombie ate wrecan?

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

We didn't learn anything about 5e. 

Seems like a fluff piece to show that 5e designers are listening to some of the critics posters have made with someone who won't be very critical about the playtest material we have gotten. 

Meh.

What part of Playtester Profile was unclear to you?  It is about the playtester and the current playtest, nothing beyond that.
So, now I have to admit, I'm really curious as to how one gets selected for one of these interviews.
wrecan wrote a 50 page houserule for 2e D&D? Where can I read this?

I agree.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that we didn't get feedback from the interviewer about the important modularity issues that Wrecan raised.  Of course, we shouldn't expect to get that from an interviewer.

Respect and constructive criticism, I also liked the form of the interview.

I often see people confounding rudeness with frankness. It's always pleasant to read people who considers that defending an opinion and attacking the credibility of adverse opinion are not the same thing.
There are too much politician and lawyer apprentices on forums Wink

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

Of all the possible people to have been interviewed I couldn't possibly have been happier with who WotC chose to listen to.

Despite the "fluff piece" feel I think Wrecan raised a number of significant issues in a highly constructive way.

Good job that man.

I hope you are listened to.     

Sadly, it's on a hard drive from a computer I got rid of in 2003 when we switched to 3e.  Too bad, too. It was all wrapped into the Dreaming Archipelago, my favorite of the many campaign settings I've created over the years.
Not sure why they are useful or what they bring to 5e. 

From what I can tell --- and I have no inside info -- it's simply a way to publicly display the feedback that Wizards havs been getting from some of the more prominent playtesters.  

The playtesters that have been chosen so far have been:

Truly, I am very honored to be included in this very distinguished group.  

I also appreciate all the kind words in thsi thread.  Thanks! 

Sadly, it's on a hard drive from a computer I got rid of in 2003 when we switched to 3e.  Too bad, too. It was all wrapped into the Dreaming Archipelago, my favorite of the many campaign settings I've created over the years.

Can't tell you how sad this made me or how many F bombs I dropped. 

I read a post about a very long page of House Ruling and was interested in it. Something about Haflings getting a bonus for eating a meal or something?

Thanks for the compliments!  I'm blushing.

This was Second Edition, so I had a ton of non-weapon proficiencies I made up for my camapign.  I had a whole martial maneuver system.  I totally rewrote the initiative rules.  I had a supplement's worth of campaign-specific spells.  I had changed the alignment system into something resembling d20 Modern's Allegiance system.  By the time it was done, it barely resembled Second Edition.
I actually loved the initiative rules in 2e. I liked that since combat was simultaneous, you had to declare actions before rolling initiative. I liked that the order of play changed each round and allowed others to "seize the initiative"
I know I'm in the minority on this board, but when we go back and forth between 2e and PFRPG, my players usually lament on the absence of the dynamic initiative system of 2e.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Wrecan, I don't always agree with some of your ideas, but I always appreciate your posts.
I'm glad they chose you for a profile.
I appreciate your contributions to the forums and to my D&D Hobby.
Nice interview and keep being a positive light on these boards.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Nice interview and nice feedback. Good job Wrecan 

I have no beef with wrecan.  I was defending him against the accusations that he put forward his criticisms too nicely.  I said that he seems to be "onboard" with WOTC, a pro-company guy.  He is supportive even if he has reservations.  I'm assuming at some point they could drive him away.  I likened my own feelings about D&D to being the same way all the way into 4e where I finally couldn't go on.

Why don't you actually read what I write for a change instead of just reflexively kickiing when it's me.

I have no beef with wrecan.  I was defending him against the accusations that he put forward his criticisms too nicely.  I said that he seems to be "onboard" with WOTC, a pro-company guy.  He is supportive even if he has reservations.  I'm assuming at some point they could drive him away.  I likened my own feelings about D&D to being the same way all the way into 4e where I finally couldn't go on.

Why don't you actually read what I write for a change instead of just reflexively kickiing when it's me.

I dont mean to “kick” you. I apologize if I come across that way. I tend to appreciate what you write. I know there are issues we disagree about, but there are also issues we agree about. In any case, the comment was referring to several posts, not directed at you. 

I dont mean to “kick” you. I apologize if I come across that way. I tend to appreciate what you write. I know there are issues we disagree about, but there are also issues we agree about. In any case, the comment was referring to several posts, not directed at you. 

Okay.  Didn't mean to sound hostile myself.  I agree we should keep it focused on the subjects and not make it personal.  Sometimes easy to forget that good rule.

Now that would be welcomed! It would show that developpers are reading posts and not just relying on official playtesters.

Apart from the fact that the Playtester Profile bit is not about DDN itself (there are plenty of areas for that, including Rule of Three and Legends & Lore, never mind the playtest packets and other official news outlets, seminars at conventions, and the like), I don't see how this is productive.

The changes in the Fighter alone between the first and second playtest packets suggest quite strongly that WotC is indeed listening to feedback from a number of sources. Also, they have said numerous times that the forums are not their primary means of obtaining feedback. The surveys they send out after each playtest packet, on the other hand, are their primary feedback source.

And why aren't the forums their primary source of feedback? There are two main reasons I can think of: first, they are too unfocused. The playtests are each designed to test particular things. The forums here end up getting all over the place (witness the threads about the Barbarian, the Paladin, Druid, using CS dice for the Paladin and/or Barbarian, the Ranger, what is a Ranger, etc etc that haven't been addressed yet in any playtest packet). It's an unfocused mess, at least in regards to the goals for playtesting.

Secondly, quite frankly, there is a general lot of acrimony towards WotC and/or the developers themselves. I've seen quite a bit of "WotC needs to earn my trust again" and the like (and worse).

In contrast, here's something that happened to me recently. Folks may or may not know, from my posts here, that I am a fan of White Wolf's World of Darkness games. In fact, they are my primary games these days, and have been for some time.

Over on the White Wolf forums, the developers and writers will actually often show up and post things and generally communicate with fans. It's a good relationship overall.

There is a thread over there discussing an upcoming book entitled Blood Sorcery. In that thread, I asked about another book that had been discussed a while back entitled Secrets of the Covenants. Within 20 minutes going by the time stamps, I got a reply from the developer about the book. At that point, I promptly thanked him for the reply and said I understood the difficulties he mentioned in his post about that book not being printed yet.

That's it. No acrimony. No "why isn't this book printed yet?" or anything of the sort. Polite, professional discussion (even if in some of the discussions various swear words are used in various forms of context). That's what should ideally be happening here, in my not-so-humble opinion.

For those confused on how DDN's modular rules might work, this may provide some insight: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/the-world-of-darkness-shines-when-it-abandons-canon

@mikemearls: Uhhh... do you really not see all the 3e/4e that's basically the entire core system?

It is entirely unnecessary to denigrate someone else's approach to gaming in order to validate your own.

• Mark "wrecan" Monack, featured blogger with Unearthed Wrecana, freelance writer, and the most interesting man in the world.

He doesn't always drink beer.  But, when he does, it's Dos Lizardmen.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

So you're unhappy about the interview because Wrecan was polite.

I'm not unhappy about it, just I haven't seen any real criticism come from any of the interviews so far, just padded, fluffy, maybe type stuff...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Its ok. Lokiare once accused me of being a secret WotC employee, spreading WotC shill lines over the forums for a living. I don't think people should really take those sorts of comments, when he makes them, too seriously...

That was only after you posted positive things on the forums for months at a time and excused the worst things WotC did during that time. At the time you were the definition of a WotC apologist. Now that you have expressed a few dislikes I retract that statement...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
My feelings are mixed.  Some good.  Some bad.  Good interview wrecan.  I think it sounded like wrecan.  And don't take this the wrong way but I feel that wrecan is a "company" man kind of personality at least with regards to D&D.  He puts a positive spin on it until he can't.  Not to say he's not criticial but he's pro WOTC in general.  Nothing wrong with that.  I was that guy until about six months into 4e. 

I was that way throughout 3.xE and a few months into 4E, then WotC did its thing and I turned around fast...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Sign In to post comments