Settings

I know it's early in development but what settings are being talked about..ie grey hawk, forgotten realms, spell jammer etc etc 
I know they're already talking about FR, but I don't remember seeing anything specifically pointing toward any of the other settings.

Supposedly, organized play is going to be used to determine how the new FR shapes up. Since I find organized play tedious, restrictive, and often times more work than fun, I'm not sure that I'm exactly thrilled about that concept, but we'll see how it turns out. 
They also announced Greyhawk at the Keynote address. No others at this point. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

I am hoping that Eberron/Dark Sun get a DDN treatment. I don't necessarily need a new set of campaign setting books, but I would like to at least see DDI articles full of stats for all the important characters, campaign specific playable races/classes, and the like. I am happy to go to products I already own for the fluff.

Meanwhile, I really want updated Ravenloft and Planescape products, and an updated set of Gloomraught rules would be neat too. 

Meanwhile, I really want updated Ravenloft and Planescape products, and an updated set of Gloomraught rules would be neat too. 

Yes, please!

I have so much material from BECMI through 4E that yet another book full of campaign setting material isn't necessary for me, but I have no doubt that DDN will draw in new players that would benefit greatly from fresh takes on established settings. 

I would also like to see Al-Qadim and Spelljammer (maybe even Birthright, but I only had a passing interest in that one anyway) get the DDN treatment, but I'm not holding my breath. 
I would love to see Spelljammer and Planescape as well as Greyhawk.
I hope they don't skip over Dark Sun like they did in 3e. 

I could just use campaign books from 4e, but I wouldn't have all the monsters or Sorcerer-Kings for fights. 
Ant Farm
I hope they don't skip over Dark Sun like they did in 3e. 

I could just use campaign books from 4e, but I wouldn't have all the monsters or Sorcerer-Kings for fights. 

Paizo made a complete Dark Sun campaign for 3.5 back in 2004/5 in the magazines.  Also, I too hope Dark Sun makes a return too! (albeit, I'd prefer the original fluff.  Yes, I'm a Dark Sun purist...  Who am I to deny it?  Even a sidebar for using older fluff instead would please me.)

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Council of Wyrms, please.
But let's ditch the humanoid pets gimmick this time.
The most iconic settings will, in all likelihood, all be updated. I fully expect Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer/Planescape and Darksun. Other settings are less of a sure thing but will probably see releases in Dragon at the very least.
The most iconic settings will, in all likelihood, all be updated. I fully expect Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer/Planescape and Darksun. Other settings are less of a sure thing but will probably see releases in Dragon at the very least.

With the frustration that followed after the Ravenloft setting was canceled, Wizards owes the fans a RL setting ASAP Wink

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
If they release any of the classics (FR, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Planescape, etc), go back to the beginning, no Time of Troubles, Prism Pentad, Faction War, Spellplague, etc, and keep them static, like Al-Qadim. 
Do think about who buys background books when they can be got by internet without paying. Most of players who buy books want magic item, powers, PC races and classes. 

I could buy "Eberron player handbook" and "Eberron monster manual" but if I wish background about Eberron I would go to...........buck rogers wiki.  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

If they release any of the classics (FR, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Planescape, etc), go back to the beginning, no Time of Troubles, Prism Pentad, Faction War, Spellplague, etc, and keep them static, like Al-Qadim. 

Agreed on the timelines - though I accept FR is too timeline dependent due to the novels.

Definitely Dark Sun, Dragonlance, and Planescape need reboots. Dragolance at least needs a reboot to before the 5th age, perhaps even making two settings supported via the DDI. The novels were what mattered in terms of cash anyway.

And this time, Dark Sun's ancient history should be hinted at but never completely revealed.
Ravenloft and Spelljammer could be opern doors to try a new d20 Modern second edition.

Birthright could be perfect to be used in a videogame that mix RPG, business simultation and RTS. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

one thing i intresting that was said at pax was that they might refer to campaign settings not yet published in earlyer material.

example they gave was that whe minotaur in the MM could have a side bar explaining that minotaurs are a player race in dragonlance and have their stats.

and i hope they will put many races that used to be player races in earlyer campaign settings into the MM this way.
So people can play their vavorite settings using the races from the MM and fluff from their old campaign setting books till the 5th vertion of their campaign setting is released. 
I'd be suprised if FR and Eberron weren't done pretty quickly. Betting Greyhawk is the "Core" setting in the PHB and not particulalrly expanded on. 

After that I'd like to think they will do some new settings, but expect they won't and will re-update the old stuff again.

I'd think some sort of pirates, steampunk, or "Fantasy Asia" would be a high priority. I'd also enjoy a new setting, especially over rehashing the same base ones .... again....

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

one thing i intresting that was said at pax was that they might refer to campaign settings not yet published in earlyer material.

This would go a long way towards me supporting DDN moneywise, if they at least offered the promise of future settings.
About pirates we can get a reboot of "Red Steel" and "Spelljammer".

Eberron is "dungeon punk".

About steampunk or fantasy gaslight... we would need a settin like Ravenloft (Rv is gothic fantasy). A steampunk settin with fantasy technology and firearms would need a lot of playtesting to get the right balance about sword vs. guns vs magic.

About oriental fantasy or wuxia... Kara-Tur (FR spin-off) and al-Qadim is enough. (how would be a oficial Kara-tur videogame?)

I'd be suprised if FR and Eberron weren't done pretty quickly. Betting Greyhawk is the "Core" setting in the PHB and not particulalrly expanded on. 

After that I'd like to think they will do some new settings, but expect they won't and will re-update the old stuff again.

I'd think some sort of pirates, steampunk, or "Fantasy Asia" would be a high priority. I'd also enjoy a new setting, especially over rehashing the same base ones .... again....

Well, we already know that FR will be there. They've stated as much (and hinted at organized play, aka "living" campaigns, helping actually shape the new Realms). Eberron had a huge following. I have no doubt that it will be included and, like you said, quickly.

As for the others...

DragonLance, Greyhawk, Al-Qadim, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Mystara, PlaneScape, and so on will probably get at least a decent splat book, even if they don't go all-in like in 2E where they made umpteen-hundred books for each setting. Give the basics of the setting, give the specifics (deities, how spells work, lack of X, etc.), give a list of adventure hooks, notable NPCs, notable locations, historical events, and then let it go at that. I'd love to see each setting with a shiny, new book dedicated to it...but I really don't need a dozen splats for each setting. It didn't really work before, and I don't see it working now.

As for a "core" setting, I have no problem at all with them keeping Points of Light as the generic core world. It allowed for the showcasing of races, classes, abilities, and so on, but didn't tie anything to a set canon. Naturally, if they wanted to make one of the old settings the "core" setting, I'd be okay with that, too, provided it was not one of the "extreme" settings, such as Dark Sun or Ravenloft (they won't do that, of course, but it's worth mentioning).

As far as new settings go, I'd love to see a fully fleshed-out Oriental Adventures setting. Maybe a Far Realm inspired setting. There are limitless options, and I hope they try to explore them. 
About pirates we can get a reboot of "Red Steel" and "Spelljammer".

Eberron is "dungeon punk".

About steampunk or fantasy gaslight... we would need a settin like Ravenloft (Rv is gothic fantasy).

A steampunk settin with fantasy technology and firearms would need a lot of playtesting to get the right balance about sword vs. guns vs magic.

About oriental fantasy or wuxia... Kara-Tur (FR spin-off) and al-Qadim is enough. (how would be a oficial Kara-tur videogame?) 

I changed your line spacing a bit. 

- Please don't reboot spelljammer and call it pirates. Its not pirates at all, but really just spaceships. I wouldn't mind a reboot of it, but would greatly prefer a simple "Pirates". Take the exact setting of pirates of the caribbean (maybe jump back 50ish years) and fantasy it up with more wizards, and lots of elves and stuff. Don't know Red Steel enough, but will google it. 

-Dungeon punk is cool and all, but it isn't steampunk. 

- Ravenloft is pretty cool, and I'd be ok with a return.

-firearms don't need tons of fancy rules or playtesting. Reskin bows. If you really really want them to be different, make an exotic weapon that does a damage die size better than a bow and call it a gun. Maybe let you use the one handed pistol/crossbow version one handed whereas a normal crossbow can't. 

-Don't reboot FR spin offs or Al-quadim as your "Fantasy Asia" setting. I mean "Anime the RPG" with samurai and ninjas everywhere. Throw in a race of cat and fox people as shifter variants. 

Basically I'd prefer they didn't reboot the stuff they already made for the 11th time and instead came up with some new stuff. I honestly think 5e needs a new setting to push the new system. 3.X had eberron, and 4e had POL. 5e should move on with its own idea as well. 

I'd be really into it if they set out the "Core" books. Then take like 6 months, and just pump out settings. One book each setting, maybe multiple books a  month. They can rehash their existing older settings people want updated right out the gate and get it over with so to speak.  

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"