YMTC Idol 10: Round 8

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. The second round claimed four more victims, followed by another three. Three more lost their way, and two by two by two they then did fall, leaving four remaining. Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
Detektor
Imidazoline
razorborne
Yushang

[color=purple]Round 8 Criteria[/color]:
The final four! Congratulations on making it so far in this tournament. It's an arduous thing, competing in YMTC Idol. Months of design and ingenuity have been spent on this, and one of you won't be making it out of this round. Such is the way of contests, and not so coincidently, the way of this round.

Assignment:
Create a card that mechanically and flavorfully depicts a tournament. Interpret as you wish.

You have five days to submit your card. One contestant will be eliminated this round. If the judges don't all nominate the same contestant, a public vote will be held.

Good luck!
Hmm, interesting.

Let's start with...

Predatory Emergence |
Sorcery
Each creature fights each other creature, then each creature still on the battlefield becomes indestructible. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn).
Tournaments without rules yield prizes without measure.
Two contestants will be eliminated this round.

Also just confirming this? And if accurate, how will it work? Bottom three, one safe in the vote?

I don't actually mind either way, just seem to recall previous years being single elimination at this point.
Two contestants will be eliminated this round.

Also just confirming this? And if accurate, how will it work? Bottom three, one safe in the vote?

I don't actually mind either way, just seem to recall previous years being single elimination at this point.

That was my error. Thankfully, my copy pasta insurance saves the day!
criteria? more like criteri-dumb.

sorry that sounded wittier in my head.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Mental Brawl
Instant
Exile the top card of your library and target opponent's library. If your card exiled this way has a greater converted mana cost, that opponent exiles the top ten cards of his or her library and you repeat this process with a different opponent. 
Draw a card.
Only the greatest minds profit.

Too bad Battle of Wits was taken as a name.
\o/
oh whoops forgot about this. I will put something together today hopefully.

Colossus Fields-
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player chooses a card from their hand, then all players reveal them simultaneously. Each player who revealed a non-land card with the highest converted mana cost may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
At the heart of the Eternal Arena lies the home of Carradon's favorite contest: The Titan Games.

get it? Gladiator World! in context you would know that Carradon is the name of the plane.

as for why this is not broken, there are two things that can be argued:

1. RAZORBORNE THIS IS A TURN 7 EMRAKUL WITH NO OTHER RAMP THAT THING COSTS 15 FOR A REASON okay calm down. a turn 7 Emrakul attacks on turn 8. that is a full three turns slower than a through the breached emrakul, and let's be honest, how many times do you need to swing with Emrakul anyway. it also gives them a turn to answer it. this is true of most good single overcosted threats. (blightsteel colossus, for instance)

2. RAZORBORNE IF YOU BUILD YOUR DECK RIGHT THEY WILL NEVER GET A THING AND YOU'LL JUST BE DUMPING OUT THREAT AFTER THREAT AND DESTROYING THEM okay seriously though chill. first of all if your deck is dense enough with high-cost threats that you can guarantee you get this every turn, then a couple things are true. a) you have a crapload of expensive stuff. this means that you're likely in a tough place when you don't draw this/it gets countered/destroyed, b) you have a bunch of acceleration to counter the issues mentioned in a, and c) you're basically a midrange/ramp deck. and in that deck, getting a dude every turn is actually a drawback. say what? yes, one of the biggest advantages fatty.dec has is that you only need one dude at a time, leaving you practically immune to mass removal. if you have to lay down a card every turn, then a single day of judgment can do the work of three removal spells pretty easily, which is the last thing you want. note that this doesn't give you cards, it just gives you (virtual) mana, which you already have plenty of. 

so in conclusion, we see that if you're looking to just use it to get a single huge, unfair beater on the cheap, there are better ways to do it. and if you're using it to keep up a never-ending stream of BDGs, you're missing the point of a ramp deck and leaving yourself open to avenues of attack you could otherwise close off. is there a deck that can use it? one with regal force, perhaps? maybe. might it be a tournament-viable deck, used to power out hoards of fatties? sure, it's possible. but that sounds fun as hell anyway.

more design notes! the flavor seems to indicate it should be creatures only, right? but for gameplay reasons, I chose to make it any spell. why? well for starters it gives me more potential outs. if I have a 6-mana enchantment in hand I can stop your 5-drop. more interactivity potential without forcing everyone to cram in more creatures. it's a little weird to go "oh you wanted a dragon? I draw a bunch of cards instead" but hey whatever it's magic. so that's where that decision came from. it's simultaneous even though your choice of card isn't likely to change based on theirs (you most likely just reveal your highest-cost card every time) but it's so that each time you feel the contest, instead of "how about a six-drop?" "nah, you got it, go ahead." which is less fun. yes, you can just keep choosing a land if you want to protect the secrecy of your hand but whatever I'm cool with it. if you don't want to play the Titan Games you can just get stomped. by Titans. in the Colossus Fields. are you noticing a pattern in these names?

also I just made it legendary. a) it wants to be flavorfully legendary. there is only one Colossus Fields. I could go all Unique-Name-Of-A-Place-But-Not-Legendary-For-Some-Reason a la Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion but that's lame and also mainly for lands because legendary lands suck, and b) for balance reasons, I don't want too many of these at once. can you imagine having 8 of these and some howling mines in a mirror match? crazypants.

I hate these tiny scrolling text boxes!

Tzactal, Dark Arbiter
Legendary Creature - Cat Advisor
, : Another target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)
Whenever two creatures fight each other, repeat that process until at least one of those creatures dies.
"Some sports require mainly skill. Some require mainly dedication. And some require mainly... sacrifice."
3/3

A reference to the Mayan ball game of death.

This enables creatures with high toughness to be much more important in fighting, but also allows smaller creatures to take down things like giant walls through perseverance. This could be printed in a set with infect or wither, so the second (or even third) rounds of the game would be affected by the first.
also damn it why are there no bad entries this round I count on those to get through. please make your entries at least 20% less cool, guys, to account for judge error.

So many excitings.

yeah it's very easy to lose track of how long you've been rambling for and wind up posting War and Peace by accident.

So, this round is closed now right?
Yes. Gosh, I'm so bad this year. Round closed! Judges, nominate one individual for elimination.
Given Mono's comment last time, I tried to say some nice things this time. I think I managed two sentences. I'm wondering if I'm just terrible at knowing what's good design or just cynical as hell.

Comments
Imidazoline

The card is really evocative, I like those. The effect is tied really went into the flavor. The card itself, however, seems to be a Wrath with a fancy wording. At any time the card is actually going to feel like a tournament, it will just be a genocide. It also feels lame that you can cast it with one creature out and gain indestructible, although remedied somewhat in that it is the last survivor, and is a pretty bad effect. The other issue I have with it is that I doubt the card actually works. Damage isn't checked until SBE's, and the card doesn't give the game any time to check that, so you just end up giving every creature a lot of damage and then making them all indestructible.

Yushang

It's really weird to me that you can cycle between two opponents. At least I assume you can do such a thing, and then you can suddenly just murder every opponent, but that's unlikely since you have lands. The draw a card part of it strikes me as odd. It's like the card tells me that the effect isn't worth the cost, so here, have a card. It's not an effect I expect to see a cantrip on. Maybe if it was connected to actually winning the "fight", as that would also make the flavor text more connected. Right now you're not rewarding anyone, just punishing.

razorborne

I enjoy enchantments that makes small minigames of sorts, but the one this card creates isn't all that interesting. Bigger creatures aren't all that common, and since you have probably buildt around the card, you will just steamroll your opponent and get the reward every time. There's no real bluffing aspect to it, even if it sounds like it's trying to do it. I can see the mirror match being somewhat intriguing, but for nearly every scenario you will just reveal your biggest thing anyway. It's like, the card looks like it wants to be fun, but it isn't. Well, it is for Timmies I suppose. I don't think a lot of your balancing arguments are all that valid, which is partly because you changed the card, but I never thought the card was too powerful anyway. The name sounds like a land (or a plane), but it's a bit hard to nail what an enchantment really is.

Detektor

I'm uncertain how relevant the static ability really is, but I quite like it. Fight to the death, etc. It's also amusing to me how the organizer is never willing to enter the fight. The whole mayan connect feels a bit too forced with the whole cat and naming, and it's not what I traditionally envision an advisor to be, but it's not overly annoying, and I'm sure some people like it. While on the whole flavor, the flavor text is a bit overly repetitive, the sentences are so long. As a last note, while being Black isn't wrong, I think it could do without. It's a nice opportunity to show monogreen's darker sides in a really visual way.

Ranking

Detektor
Imidazoline
razorborne
Yushang

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I didn't change it in a way that affects the balancing arguments. and I don't think you just steamroll your opponent once you get it out, since it does not draw you cards. it's just virtual mana. yes, if you have a bunch of expensive card drawers you're likely to keep going, but how many of those can your deck run? and if you don't have them you're going to run out of gas after a couple because you will draw lands and the cheap accelerators you had to run to land this before turn 6. and like I said one of the strengths of BDGs is you can still control a game commiting one card at a time, blanking your opponent's mass removal, so you'll often not want to reveal your biggest guy anyway. you might have a 6-drop in hand but you'd rather reveal divination and see if you can get there on that instead so you don't lose both fatties to one wrath. sure, there's an autopilot mode where you reveal your biggest guy, and sure, that'll usually be okay. but that doesn't mean you don't have options.

as for the name, hunting grounds, dueling grounds, training grounds, field of souls, lightmine field, powerstone minefield, to name a few. enchantments representing places isn't new. 

The comment about having your notes invalidated somewhat was primary in relation to the aspect of overextention, as you're not going to easily wrath away sorceries and instants. Emrakul obviously changed by a turn less since you now cast it, but it's not a big deal since 6 mana enchantment and you get a turn to respond. I don't think this is terribly relevant though, as I consider your card balanced and won't be taking your notes arguing that it is into consideration.
However, in a deck designed to utilize it, I am fairly confident your opponent will only win at best one if he's very lucky. If you're free to drop a bomb every turn, the game isn't going to last very long. You shouldn't really need more than a single trigger to have the game in a bag (Like with Emrakul. That card makes so many other cards really uninteresting.) The card presents you with options, but I can't see many of them being viable. If your deck doesn't have a consistent way of having something meaningful to do with the enchantment, then it's not going to be worth it, so you can't expect to be empty handed. One of the things that makes me a bit sad is that I think the card would be really, really cool (and something I might have seen before) if it did the lowest cost instead, but I might just want more cards with bluffing.

On the naming, your card is a very specific location. It's a chunk of earth, or at least looks like one to me. The examples you have named could literally be anywhere, and could represent an enchantment manipulating the area. I feel like the art in Training Grounds represents this rather well. There's an enchanted area where it's easier to activate abilities. If I cast your card, it feels like I'm bringing over this entire place, and I don't really know how that works. It sounds like it wants to be a World Enchantment.

Yxoque wrote:

Well, Mown, 2 complimentary sentences is still > 0 complimentary sentences.  You're on your way.  You really shouldn't be so cynical, though.  If I can manage to have plenty of positive things to say in an ongoing contest that has lasted over 300 rounds, then surely you can come up with something good about an entry.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
At least I'm saying something, you lazy bums. On that note, updated with gradings.

Either way, I say anything that I do find mildly impressive. I might just take a lot of things for granted, but I'm not going to go "Really good choice on colors there, I like that you didn't make the mistake of putting burn in green." There are plenty of things I don't feel like it should be necessary to commend someone on, like power level, color and wording, unless they do something special, especially since this is Idol and I have some expectations. I'd talk some about what I usually do say positive things about, but I don't want people to start metagaming their cards, and I doubt my mind is that simple.

Yxoque wrote:

I'm actually fine with that. It's incumbent on us to impress you.
I tend to agree with Mown. I'll compliment things if I feel it's called for but for the most part the shortcomings are the much more important piece of information, since they're where work is needed.

You do need to strike a balance between the two, though.  In some cases, everything about the card may seem wrong about it and it makes sense for there to be nothing positive to say.  But, if every comment was negative, it would be impossible to tell how much the judge actually thought of the card.  I could describe Oblivion Ring in a totally negative light without mentioning any of its positives, like this: "O-ring just costs too much mana as a removal spell.  The best removal spells either get rid of multiple things or cost less mana.  Plus, you can even destroy it and they get their thing back.  So bad!  You can't even play it during your opponent's turn!"

See what I mean?  Anyone who tries to argue that about O-ring is going to deserve a facepalm.  It's a bit extreme, but I think it illustrates my point well.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

You know you can go to the top of that tiny scrolling text box and hit "Switch to Standard View" to switch to something less headachey.

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
I do now.
I did things!

Comments
Imidazoline
Predatory Emergence

So, green Wrath. I mean, sure, there's the indestructability rider, but situations where that is ever relevant seem few and far between (and they all involve Indomitable Ancients). It's basically "Destroy each creature with toughness less than the total power of all creatures in play". I think my biggest problem is that all the creatures on the same team fight each other, which means it is A) Really mechanically good when your opponent has creatures and you don't and B) Really flavorfully wierd if you cast it when you have lots of creatures, and your opponent has only a few (but you want them dead). As a programmer, I'm inclined to interpret the wording that when creature A fights 'each other creature', that includes creature B, then when creature B fights 'each other creature', that includes creature A, meaning everything fights twice. I think. Then it's DEFINATELY a wrath. Lastly, the creature that is best-suited to survive this bloodbath has a high toughness, rather than the power associated with 'Predatory' in the name.

Yushang
Mental Brawl
The 'different opponent' part really affects this. In normal duels, this is, at best, a conditional, cantripping Glimpse the Unthinkable. But, when you get into multiplayer, this can, potentially, mill players out of the game (by bouncing between two people. Unlikely, but possible). That's a pretty big difference in effects, and I don't think I like how limited it is in duels, especially with the chance of whiffing completely by getting a land. Could make for some interesting/tense multiplayer moments, which is nice, I guess.

Razorborne
Colossus Fields
Well, it's a six-mana legendary enchantment that does nothing by itself, gives a turn to be answered, and can potentially backfire, even. Does this balance out the fact that you can drop mad junk for free every turn? I'm willing to say yes. I mean, if I were playing competitively, I think I'd rather ramp to actual things (6 mana creatures are preeeeeetty good nowadays) instead of building a deck that can ramp up to 6 while still having enough stuff in hand to make use of this. HOWEVER. I really super disagree with not limiting it to creatures. For one, the flavor screams CREATURES CREATURES CREATURES (and I almost didn't catch that it was for anything until reading more). Also, Time Stretch. Could be some good crazy fun in EDH (like Hypergenesis!) without being supes-broke with other cards (like Hypergenesis!). But seriously though. Creatures.

Detektor
Tzactal, Dark Arbiter
Fight to the death! I really like this. It's very simple to 'get', the 'my champion against yours' scheming pit-boss flavor is great, and it opens up lots of cool mechanical interactions to gain extra value out of it (other Fight cards, deathtouch, on-damage triggers, etc).

Ranked from Awesome to Good
Detektor
Razorborne
Yushang
Imidazoline
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
yeah I think I overestimated potential power concerns, and I didn't limit it to creatures to attempt to balance those out, but in retrospect I agree with you.

I promise to do commentary later. I have, however, reviewed each of the submissions, and thus nominate Imidazoline for elimination. As per the Idol rules, in the rounds with only a single elimination, if all judges can't agree on which submission to exile, it moves to a vote. That thread will be opened momentarily. Good luck, Yushang and Imidazoline!
now that judging is over and he is safe from elimination, I want to point out that Detek's card does not work within the rules. I would've pointed it out during the round but I didn't notice until it closed and didn't want to be a dick and sabotage him.

first of all, it tries to use a triggered ability to modify events. this doesn't work. this could be solved by making it a replacement effect, but then you have the problem of never actually checking whether a creature dies, since that won't happen until the end of the ability. the best way to get the effect is a trigger that just makes a new fighting instance. "whenever two creatures fight, those two creatures fight." does the job. or, if you want, you can drop an intervening if to make it make more sense. "whenever two creatures fight, if both creatures are on the battlefield, they fight."

this, however, does not solve the problem of the game ending in a draw if my ornithopter ever fights your phyrexian walker. or if our darksteel gargoyles get in a tiff. I don't know how to solve that elegantly.

Pfft, rules. What have those ever done for anyone.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Yeah, wording issues ahoy.  I meant it to only hit a player once (no bouncing back and forth) but messed up on the wording of it. -_- 
\o/
now that judging is over and he is safe from elimination, I want to point out that Detek's card does not work within the rules. I would've pointed it out during the round but I didn't notice until it closed and didn't want to be a dick and sabotage him.

first of all, it tries to use a triggered ability to modify events. this doesn't work. this could be solved by making it a replacement effect, but then you have the problem of never actually checking whether a creature dies, since that won't happen until the end of the ability. the best way to get the effect is a trigger that just makes a new fighting instance. "whenever two creatures fight, those two creatures fight." does the job. or, if you want, you can drop an intervening if to make it make more sense. "whenever two creatures fight, if both creatures are on the battlefield, they fight."

this, however, does not solve the problem of the game ending in a draw if my ornithopter ever fights your phyrexian walker. or if our darksteel gargoyles get in a tiff. I don't know how to solve that elegantly.

I plead guilty on all counts, by reason of insanity.
I actually wouldn't mind knowing from Rush and Kavu whether I would have been their nomination if my card was sans the massive wording **** up.
Sorry this took so long!

Hmm, interesting.

Let's start with...

Predatory Emergence |
Sorcery
Each creature fights each other creature, then each creature still on the battlefield becomes indestructible. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn).
Tournaments without rules yield prizes without measure.

In my initial review, I felt this card bled a bit too much over the lines. Even in situations where you can manipulate this, it only resists destroying everything when there actually aren't that many creatures at all, or when the creatures already resist destruction. That made the outcome feel out-of-color in most cases, and pointless in the other cases. The wording snafu didn't really cause me much pause; I knew what you intended.

Mental Brawl
Instant
Exile the top card of your library and target opponent's library. If your card exiled this way has a greater converted mana cost, that opponent exiles the top ten cards of his or her library and you repeat this process with a different opponent. 
Draw a card.
Only the greatest minds profit.

Too bad Battle of Wits was taken as a name.

This seems like an okay mill card. It's a bit of work for a medium effect, but I liked it enough, and the repeating process is nifty in multiplayer. There might have been cleaner ways to do it, or mor fun. Imagine this instead:

"Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. Each player exiles seven cards from the top of his or her library for each card revealed with a greater converted mana cost than that of his or her own card."

Colossus Fields-
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player chooses a card from their hand, then all players reveal them simultaneously. Each player who revealed a non-land card with the highest converted mana cost may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
At the heart of the Eternal Arena lies the home of Carradon's favorite contest: The Titan Games.

get it? Gladiator World! in context you would know that Carradon is the name of the plane.

as for why this is not broken, there are two things that can be argued:

1. RAZORBORNE THIS IS A TURN 7 EMRAKUL WITH NO OTHER RAMP THAT THING COSTS 15 FOR A REASON okay calm down. a turn 7 Emrakul attacks on turn 8. that is a full three turns slower than a through the breached emrakul, and let's be honest, how many times do you need to swing with Emrakul anyway. it also gives them a turn to answer it. this is true of most good single overcosted threats. (blightsteel colossus, for instance)

2. RAZORBORNE IF YOU BUILD YOUR DECK RIGHT THEY WILL NEVER GET A THING AND YOU'LL JUST BE DUMPING OUT THREAT AFTER THREAT AND DESTROYING THEM okay seriously though chill. first of all if your deck is dense enough with high-cost threats that you can guarantee you get this every turn, then a couple things are true. a) you have a crapload of expensive stuff. this means that you're likely in a tough place when you don't draw this/it gets countered/destroyed, b) you have a bunch of acceleration to counter the issues mentioned in a, and c) you're basically a midrange/ramp deck. and in that deck, getting a dude every turn is actually a drawback. say what? yes, one of the biggest advantages fatty.dec has is that you only need one dude at a time, leaving you practically immune to mass removal. if you have to lay down a card every turn, then a single day of judgment can do the work of three removal spells pretty easily, which is the last thing you want. note that this doesn't give you cards, it just gives you (virtual) mana, which you already have plenty of. 

so in conclusion, we see that if you're looking to just use it to get a single huge, unfair beater on the cheap, there are better ways to do it. and if you're using it to keep up a never-ending stream of BDGs, you're missing the point of a ramp deck and leaving yourself open to avenues of attack you could otherwise close off. is there a deck that can use it? one with regal force, perhaps? maybe. might it be a tournament-viable deck, used to power out hoards of fatties? sure, it's possible. but that sounds fun as hell anyway.

more design notes! the flavor seems to indicate it should be creatures only, right? but for gameplay reasons, I chose to make it any spell. why? well for starters it gives me more potential outs. if I have a 6-mana enchantment in hand I can stop your 5-drop. more interactivity potential without forcing everyone to cram in more creatures. it's a little weird to go "oh you wanted a dragon? I draw a bunch of cards instead" but hey whatever it's magic. so that's where that decision came from. it's simultaneous even though your choice of card isn't likely to change based on theirs (you most likely just reveal your highest-cost card every time) but it's so that each time you feel the contest, instead of "how about a six-drop?" "nah, you got it, go ahead." which is less fun. yes, you can just keep choosing a land if you want to protect the secrecy of your hand but whatever I'm cool with it. if you don't want to play the Titan Games you can just get stomped. by Titans. in the Colossus Fields. are you noticing a pattern in these names?

also I just made it legendary. a) it wants to be flavorfully legendary. there is only one Colossus Fields. I could go all Unique-Name-Of-A-Place-But-Not-Legendary-For-Some-Reason a la Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion but that's lame and also mainly for lands because legendary lands suck, and b) for balance reasons, I don't want too many of these at once. can you imagine having 8 of these and some howling mines in a mirror match? crazypants.

Your posts are too long. I rue the day you host a contest and decide to comment on cards in this manner. Oh wait....

That's an epic card. I wish the "fairness" of it came out more. Like, if you reveal a Craw Wurm and I reveal a Nightmare, you get yours now, but I'll get mine soon and perhaps have a chance to come back. But in reality, this plays things like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, and nobody smiles. That doesn't mean its a bad card. I just wish cool cards didn't suffer because of insane cards.

Tzactal, Dark Arbiter
Legendary Creature - Cat Advisor
, : Another target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)
Whenever two creatures fight each other, repeat that process until at least one of those creatures dies.
"Some sports require mainly skill. Some require mainly dedication. And some require mainly... sacrifice."
3/3

A reference to the Mayan ball game of death.

This enables creatures with high toughness to be much more important in fighting, but also allows smaller creatures to take down things like giant walls through perseverance. This could be printed in a set with infect or wither, so the second (or even third) rounds of the game would be affected by the first.

I loved the concept of this submissions... a fight to the death! The rules aren't all that happy with it. raz and I talked a lot about this (after I nominated Imi) and I think we figured a way to do it, but I don't remember it. I will say that I missed infinite Orinthopter and Darksteel Colossus interactions, but that wouldn't have changed my vote. If it was close with another card, errors like that matter, but I just liked Imi's card much less.
Your posts are too long. I rue the day you host a contest and decide to comment on cards in this manner. Oh wait....

fun fact: my post you quoted there is over twice as long as the entirety of your critiques.

Sign In to post comments