Multicolored names

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am fairly new. I tend to play green/ blue, and once heardmy deck was "Simic" Do other muticolor decks have names, and if so, what are they?
RPGtable username : RTiger
This is to do with the Guilds in the original Ravnica block.  The next new block revisits the same plane and has the same ten guilds in it.  The first set in that block Return to Ravnica is released in early October so it should start to make more sense soon.  Having two colours doesn't automatically make your deck a guild though, that was just a thing in one (and soon to be two) blocks, but I guess people find it easier to use the names than describing colour combinations.  I don't use the guilds because I played before and after, but not during Ravnica Block.

Cheers

Edit

GW = Selesnya
UB = Dimir
RG = Gruul
WU = Azorius
BR = Rakdos
RW = Boros
BG = Golgari
UR = Izzet
WB = Orzhov
GU = Simic
That would be named after the 10 guilds of Ravnica.

W/G: Selesnya
G/R: Gruul
R/B:Rakdos
B/U: Dimmir
U/W: Azorius
W/R: Boros
G/B: Golgari
R/U: Izzet
B/W: Orzhov
and then finally U/G: Simic

IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Additionally, due to Shards of Alara block, 5 of the 3-color combinations also have names.

GWU: Bant
WUB: Esper
UBR: Grixis
BRG: Jund
RGW: Naya

The other 5 3-color combinations do not have such names yet.  Nor do the 4-color combinations.
Keep in mind that Simic is a particular guild on a particular plane with goals, attitudes, and mechanics. It's not just "blue and green". Some people will call any "blue and green" deck Simic, but that's really not accurate.
Additionally, due to Shards of Alara block, 5 of the 3-color combinations also have names.

GWU: Bant
WUB: Esper
UBR: Grixis
BRG: Jund
RGW: Naya

The other 5 3-color combinations do not have such names yet.  Nor do the 4-color combinations.

I think the other three colour combinations do, from Invasion Block

GUB = Ana
URG = Ceta
WBR = Dega
BGW = Necra
RWU = Raka

Cheers
the Nephilim and Invasion names are rarely if ever used, but the guilds and alara shards are in common use
proud member of the 2011 community team
My group refer to as Bug and as Rug. is America.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I've never heard the Nephilim or Invasion names used.  I do want to add that a very common name for BGW is "Junk" (from an old deck name).

The "BUG" and "RUG" names, while common, aren't exactly color combination "names" as such.  They're just abbreviations of the colors themselves.
My group refer to as Bug and as Rug. is America.

is Nazi. Also because Oros, the Avenger.

Speaking of which, wedges are also called by their dragon names from Planar Chaos:

Oros, the Avenger
Intet, the Dreamer
Teneb, the Harvester
Numot, the Devastator
Vorosh, the Hunter

Mechanically, though, there are specific "goals" to certain decks. (And yes, I'm more than aware that Jund the deck has little to do with death triggers and more to do with Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning until you're tired of saying it.) To use the Ravnica ones:

Azorius: Stall, stall, stall
Dimir: Milling and discard
Rakdos: Death triggers and removal
Gruul: Smash face fast and hard
Selesnya: Tokens
Orzhov: Lifegain
Golgari: Graveyard shenanigans
Simic: +1/+1 counters
Izzet: Copying
Boros: Classic weenie with a side of RDW

Alara's were:

Bant: Attack with one, but use exalted to give bonuses. (Yes, exalted stacks. And multiple incidences of exalted aren't redundant, unlike many keywords.)
Esper: Artifacts
Grixis: Reanimate
Jund: Death triggers Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning
Naya: Big dudes and cheating them into play.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Keep in mind that Simic is a particular guild on a particular plane with goals, attitudes, and mechanics. It's not just "blue and green". Some people will call any "blue and green" deck Simic, but that's really not accurate.

This really rustles me. If i'm playing UG Madness, i'm not playing Simic. Yet some people still go "Oh, Simic eh?".

This really rustles me. If i'm playing UG Madness, i'm not playing Simic. Yet some people still go "Oh, Simic eh?".

Yeah, when people call a deck Jund and it isn't a deck based around playing aggressive value cards like those that were the hallmark of the shard (and deck) like Bloodbraid Elf and Sprouting Thrinax it kinda bothers me. Consume Strength is Jund because it removes a creature and allows yours to beat down for more, that kind of value and aggressiveness reflects Jund. Putrid Leech doesn't appear to have any value attached to it, but it allows you to dump your life into extra aggression. Demonspine Whip is not Jund for that reason, it's really an all-in invest-your-mana-on-damage card, very unlike Leech because you can't continue to cast spells and it is easy to get blown out.
My UG plays with card draw shenanigans, then turns that against the enemy. I also use a fiar number of simic cards like Coiling oracle, Mystic snake, and Lorescale Coatl. I tend to not use straight beat to win. It is all about card control.

I am looking forward to Jace, Architect of Thought, but more so the next release set, as it is rumored to be simic colors. 
RPGtable username : RTiger
Jund also had a flavor of predation. It's actually more than , flavorwise.

But the weird thing about Jund (the shard) was that its mechanical theme was death triggers. Kresh the Bloodbraided grows every time something dies. (You can have fun with this: Rancor and Beastmaster Ascension are really fun with Kresh.) The other theme was +1/+1 counters and tokens, such as Mycoloth (Synergy with Doubling Season: 4.5/5). Devour is just a sac outlet that makes for +1/+1 counters and other effects.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt