Card Draw

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
After hearing some color pie arguments some time ago, I became an advocate of giving every color some form of minor playable draw. Blue would still get straight but draw, and will be the most efficient, but it makes sense to me that every color should get such a fundamental effect. I mean, card draw wins games!
Every color gets cantrips, black gets cards-for-life, green gets cards-for-creatures, white has draw-for-casting-things, and now even red gets filtering. So...mission accomplished?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're arguing for here.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Every color gets cantrips, black gets cards-for-life, green gets cards-for-creatures, white has draw-for-casting-things, and now even red gets filtering. So...mission accomplished?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're arguing for here.

I am not good at arguing. In fact, I don't know what I meant.
Soo... Every color should get exactly what they already have? I think Wizards might actually do it.
Basic cantrips are pretty rare, and white hardly if ever draws. There are white cards that will let you draw that aren't cantrips, but in general, it's safe to say white doesn't draw cards.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
I remember Mentor of the Meek and Survival Cache.

I don't think red or white are supposed to draw (and gain CA). Remember that card drawing is a very important part of control decks. If you make everyone do it, suddenly you can play control in any color (of course, many would still use blue for counterspells). I think that's an okay reason to have green draw only on creature-based things. It's also problematic if aggro suddenly gets good ways to stop running out of fuel simply by drawing more cards. It's cool that red can dig for stuff but it definitely doesn't need to draw more than it has (maybe if it empties its hand like with Dangerous Wager). And I don't think white needs anything more than cantrips.
If you make everyone do it, suddenly you can play control in any color (of course, many would still use blue for counterspells).

Every colour can play aggro these days. Why shouldn't they be able to play control?

(Though actually I'm convinced green is the only monocolour that can't already be a control deck, and it does get card draw, so...)
blah blah metal lyrics
I feel that every color should have some amount of card draw because it's such an incredibly ubiquitous part of the game; you need to draw cards to win the game.

I feel like white's recent strides at card draw and red's newly adopted looting capabilities are both steps in the right direction. They're mechanics that maintain their color's identities and philosophies while putting the ever important text "draw a card" on colors historically light in said area.
If you make everyone do it, suddenly you can play control in any color (of course, many would still use blue for counterspells).

Every colour can play aggro these days. Why shouldn't they be able to play control?

(Though actually I'm convinced green is the only monocolour that can't already be a control deck, and it does get card draw, so...)

I am convinced blue is the only monocolor that can't already be an aggro deck even if it gets good cheap creatures. It's best at tempo.
I am convinced blue is the only monocolor that can't already be an aggro deck even if it gets good cheap creatures. It's best at tempo.

Illusions.

Also Modern Merfolk is more aggro than tempo unless a set of Remands is all it takes to become tempo. ("Tempo deck" is such a poorly-defined term...)
blah blah metal lyrics
Point taken. I forgot about those.
How do people feel about giving Red Three Wishes-style effects?
It's an interesting thought. Fits with "live for today" gameplay.
blah blah metal lyrics
How do people feel about giving Red Three Wishes-style effects?

I like this idea. Red has been needing a larger slice of the color pie for a while now, that seems like a good way to go with it.
A bit complicated. It would be more like Ideas Unbound.

But since red has just gotten looting, I doubt it. 
Agreed. Every color should have card draw in some form. It is far too important of an aspect of the game to not give to any one color.

I think this has more or less been accomplished, with the only color not getting anything is white. But that's kind of ok since white has a lot of powerful abilities in its color pie already.

But yeah, give every color cantrips more often.
Thanks, I'm glad someone understood what I meant, even though it wasn't me.

Have some red and green draw I designed because it's somewhat relevant:

Reckless Research
Sorcery {C}
Draw two cards, then discard a card at random.
Cycling

Mystery Harvest
Sorcery {C}
Reveal the top card of your library. You gain life equal to that card’s converted mana cost. Then if you gained 3 or less life this way, draw a card.
Draw a card.

Just one or two semi-effiecient draw spells in a set would be nice. Obviously they shouldn't be as good as blue, but still.
Reckless Research
Sorcery {C}
Cycling

Why would you ever cast this? Cycling it gives you the same amount of card advantage, and you just discard this instead of a potentially useful card.

Rules Advisor
Reckless Research
Sorcery {C}
Cycling

Why would you ever cast this? Cycling it gives you the same amount of card advantage, and you just discard this instead of a potentially useful card.

What if you nothing in your hand is useful anyway?
A bit complicated. It would be more like Ideas Unbound.

But since red has just gotten looting, I doubt it. 

I agree templating on Three Wishes is bad (as you'd expect from a card from that era); something like "Exile the top N cards of your library. UEOT, you may play them as if they were in your hand." probably works. At Instant speed, this effect simultaneously shows that Red is better at "thinking on its feet" than Blue and has some nice inherent tension.

Ideas Unbound would, as you imply, fulfill a role that's weirdly between temporary draw and looting. I could see arguments for it being used to the exclusion of both; although my facial preference would be for Wishes and looting existing in Red separately.
Reckless Research
Sorcery {C}
Cycling

Well that's a bad example since it's a common for a random set............anyway...I dunno

Statistically speaking, if you have at least three cards in your hand, you're more likely to discard something you already had than something you just drew. So if what you've got is not what you want, the ability to dig two cards deep outweighs the downside of discarding one at random. It's the reason Grixis control in Standard plays Desperate Ravings and not Think Twice.

As for Three Wishes in red, I'd expect it to be a single uncommon or rare now and again, not like a major mechanic.
blah blah metal lyrics