9/7/2012 TWTW: "Look What Blue In"

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Sweet! With mana leak leaving standard I was groaning about having to run dissaptes but now I don't "HAVE" to. Also liking the Dimir art n flavor text, nice prelude to their arrival in Feb.
OMG, finally another southeastern US, drivable-from-Atlanta, GP that's (solo) Limited.  Thanks, WotC.  

Now can we get a second Limited PTQ season in a calendar year please? 
Heh. Don't wag your finger at me, lady! You've gone UP in rarity, and 2/1's for 1 are now uncommon, too. Not to mention with relevant abilities instead of drawbacks...:P
   Discussing Syncopate within the context of its time in constructed formats makes sense, but is flawed because control decks and counters are not worth playing with anymore really.  Why even continuing with printing them at this point when there are so many cards that make permission the absolute worst type of removal/answer available under creature formats are fun regime? Ridiculous.

I would've never expected over fifteen years worth of everything that I enjoyed about competitive magic to be stripped from Eternal formats AND Standard. At least that's a feat.  Format-warping creatures are getting tiresome. Print other good cards, please.

This better not be some sort of fake-out thing; where we are told that this will be the last Zac Hill block, but he comes back unexpectedly and continues to ruin the game with increasingly good cards that facilitate the boring creature deck versus removal deck versus block mechanic paradigm.
Even Modern sucks now, but it sure is great that everyone at home will be able to get their own shocklands, so they can play the exact same goyf or clique decks that everyone else is playing because they are the only decks that stand a remote chance until the latest overpowered creature comes along and gives rise to another bland good stuff creature deck, like jund, naya pod or uw aggro control.

Stop printing permission spells or make them worth playing. I wish that I could say how to achieve this, but I am not the designer- I am just a crackpot who feels like an eighteen year mtg obsession is grounds for a pretty enlightened perspective on the game. 

It is fitting that my unrealistic expectation for WotC to stop disappointing me after Zendikar would be dashed with such unreal regularity.  Please do more for longtime players...it's getting harder to feel like I am actually enjoying and getting my money's worth out of the thousands and thousands that I spend on cards each year.  I am holding up my end of the bargain and giving you lots of my money- make the game fun for people like me too- not just the morons who find that creatures getting Doom Bladed goes down easier than their getting Mana Leaked.

I know, I know. The pendulum swings. Sometimes we have Bolt and Bloodbraid Elf in the format, sometimes we have Snapcaster and Leak.

But given the power level of counterspell hosers (Cavern of Souls, flashback cards, the new cycle of uncounterables) you guys are really putting the hurt on control strategies. It's bad enough that our point removal doesn't work half the time (undying, hexproof, multiple creatures from one card, etc.) did you really have to completely neuter counters too? Or hey, how about a Spell Snare reprint? Have you guys seen the secondary market price on that uncommon? You want us to play Modern, right?

We get it. You need to focus on aquiring new players.

But look at the statistics coming from your Guild poll. The people have voted. We love blue. Give blue some love WotC!

Also, once again, your communication with the player base leaves something to be desired. Just like the Zac Hill "mana leak is the problem" debacle, pointing at Syncopate and trying to sell us on Broken Ambitions like it's some awesome piece of tech is just weak. So weak. With a title like "It's bbbbbbaaaaaaaack!" here are the things that flashed through my mind:

Force of Will (yeah, right)
Counterspell (probably even more of a stretch)
Remand (you wouldn't do this after we've had to put up with the REAL mistake, Delver of Secrets*, for the past year)
Suffocating Blast (would be decent)
Undermine? Daze? Last Word?

No, seriously. I'll play Dissipate pretty much 100% of the time over Syncopate.

Hey, while we'r on the subject, how about giving us something to abuse a little with Rewind?

*Yes, Snapcaster Mage is terrifyingly powerful. It also works best in a deck that's backed up by one of the most poorly balanced cards ever designed. Seriously, whose idea was it to give Wild Nacatl flying? Like, Snapcaster is fine in control decks, but most lists don't even run the full playset.
What? Another UK limited format for a GP! Third year running its been limited. Why oh why can't we have a constructed format?
Now that's some sexy art.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Give blue some love WotC!

Yep, they're definitely neglecting Blue. That's why it hasn't seen much play in the last few years. It's obviously the color most in need of love right now.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Someone should fix this in the article:

Someone should fix this in the article:

There are six Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck/Booster Draft events, starting in Indianapolis the week before Christmas. They switch over to include Gatecrash once the new set is released in February, kicking off with the Grand Prix in London.

The Gatecrash sealed GPs don't include Return to Ravnica, so there's not 6 RTR limited GPs, there are 3. Plus, saying that when GTC is released GPs "switch over to include Gatecrash" maked it sound like GTC gets added to RTR in the limited GPs instead of replacing it.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
This is an acceptable counter in a game that's absoultely rammed with creatures that are blatantly unfair.

I must say though, I don't know why you bothered printing this in the same set as various ways of completely killing control, seems like a waste.
I want to be Cultured.

But look at the statistics coming from your Guild poll. The people have voted. We love blue. Give blue some love WotC!

You were being funny right? Tell us you were being funny.

Wizards love blue too, they just love blue being the best aggro colour in the game. Because that's why people like the idea of blues. Really fast creatures that outpace everything... Errrm...

I want to be Cultured.
Discussing Syncopate within the context of its time in constructed formats makes sense, but is flawed because control decks and counters are not worth playing with anymore really.  Why even continuing with printing them at this point when there are so many cards that make permission the absolute worst type of removal/answer available under creature formats are fun regime? Ridiculous.

Except that because creatures with EtB abilities are so good, counterspells are actually one of the best ways to answer them. 

Stop printing permission spells or make them worth playing. I wish that I could say how to achieve this, but I am not the designer- I am just a crackpot who feels like an eighteen year mtg obsession is grounds for a pretty enlightened perspective on the game.

It could be ground for it, but it doesn't seem you have achieved it. Such an perspective requires looking beyond just your own perspective, what you personally find fun and enjoyable. Calling those that do not share your opinion 'morons' doesn't sound all that enlightened to me.

It is fitting that my unrealistic expectation for WotC to stop disappointing me after Zendikar would be dashed with such unreal regularity.  Please do more for longtime players...it's getting harder to feel like I am actually enjoying and getting my money's worth out of the thousands and thousands that I spend on cards each year.  I am holding up my end of the bargain and giving you lots of my money- make the game fun for people like me too- not just the morons who find that creatures getting Doom Bladed goes down easier than their getting Mana Leaked.

As long as you keep spending thousands anyway, Wizards doesn't really feel a need to change their ways to accomodate you, now do they?
Horrible horrible artwork. Really, emo hair? I feel like when it comes to art they're forgetting this is a fantasy game.
This is Magic. They want to have their own style. They do not allow wizards with pointy hats for example. They experiment with stuff. Some things work out some things don't, but whatever kind of fantasy world Magic is set in is up to Wizards to shape.
Listening to the older players complain about the direction of the artwork is one of the funnest pasttimes of MtG.
Dang. I was crossing my fingers that Denver would be limited. I don't own any Legacy cards. That and SD were the only GPs I can get to and they are both constructed. This stinks.
Listening to the older players complain about the direction of the artwork is one of the funnest pasttimes of MtG.

Isn't it though?

For extra s's and g's, just imagine that the "good old days" of art they're thinking of is earthbind. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Control strategies that rely on countermagic and permission are definitely out the window for at least a year. I don't know why anybody running a blue-heavy deck would want to run this over Dissipate. I can see where it might be a decent enough sideboard card in a deck with just a splash of blue, but with all the hosers in RtR plus Cavern of Souls even that seems questionable.
Well, Syncopate is easier on the manabase.
and all those flashback cards and others with effect from graveyard...
There seems to be a vocal outcry about the art on various other websites, so I'll just leave this here. I love this art! The mage is very Dimir'esque looking, but could be a gateless I guess, and the small but slightly duck face smirk along with that flavor text is priceless!
This is not a bad card, but to make up for the unnecessary amount of uncounterable nonsense they've been printing they should give us something like Rune Snag, Counterspell or Spell Snare

make the game fun for people like me too- not just the morons who find that creatures getting Doom Bladed goes down easier than their getting Mana Leaked.

Unfortunately they've said many times, directly and undirectly, that they care about them more than us.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

You know what's even more fun? Listening to the older players complain about the death of control. Just see this thread for examples.

Also the hypocrisy in whining about people who prefer their creature to be Doom bladed rather than Mana Leaked as though the position of prefering a creature be Mana Leaked rather than Doom Bladed is in any way a superior position to hold. (HINT: It's neither superior nor inferior. It's exactly as worthy an opinion)

For what it's worth, I don't like the art on this one. I'm not sure quite what it is, but I think it's equal parts emo hair, awkward pose, and weird perspective. (Sidenote: I do really like the art on most of the cards spoiled so far, especially the Slitherhead
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Blue needs love? Psychotic much? Blue is the most broken crap there is...
Blue needs love? Psychotic much? Blue is the most broken crap there is...

That's why blue needs love. Sadly, blue cards have gone extreme. If those broken blue cards are banned, blue is totally rubbish...

Fair point. But blue is expected to be broken now which is sad. The top four guilds right now are all x/blue. I think blue should go back to what it used to be and there should be a tad more focus on green a mono color option (even though I don't play it). I don't really have any clue on how to fix anything though I suppose nor does anyone else. I just like how it used to be.

Also the hypocrisy in whining about people who prefer their creature to be Doom bladed rather than Mana Leaked as though the position of prefering a creature be Mana Leaked rather than Doom Bladed is in any way a superior position to hold. (HINT: It's neither superior nor inferior. It's exactly as worthy an opinion)

You're experiencing a failure in comprehension and in logic.

Yes, having your creature Doom Bladed and having your creature Mana Leaked are exactly the same; the former (conditionally) removes the creature from play, the latter (conditionally) removes it from the stack. Therefore, as you say, there is no basis for opining that one is better than the other.

People who complain about the preference for Doom Blade are simply complaining that it is now official Wizards policy to pander exclusively to those who prefer (irrationally) to have their creature removed from play rather than removed from the stack rather than the rest of us who recognize that all forms of removal are neccessary for the health of the game.

People who complain about the preference for Doom Blade are simply complaining that it is now official Wizards policy to pander exclusively to those who prefer (irrationally) to have their creature removed from play rather than removed from the stack rather than the rest of us who recognize that all forms of removal are neccessary for the health of the game.

Actually, with the glut of hexproof and various other ways of protecting your creatures from destruction, it is now Wizards' official policy to pander to those who don't want their creatures removed at all. They're not just nerfing counterspells anymore, but pretty much all forms of removal.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
The art is a bit weird, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I find that it works a lot better at a greater size rather than in a card frame. The card itself is okay, but probably not worth the fanfare of BDM's introductory paragraph.
I don't expect the RtR block to really bring plenty of good blue cards anyway. We just had a block with plenty of good blue cards after all.

Actually, with the glut of hexproof and various other ways of protecting your creatures from destruction, it is now Wizards' official policy to pander to those who don't want their creatures removed at all. They're not just nerfing counterspells anymore, but pretty much all forms of removal.

Except artifacts. Also, Erase is better than Demystify unless you want to commit a crime.

They're also trying to make green into a removal color. Given that they've pretty much destroyed the rest of its mechanical identity with splicers, reach creatures that are just flying creatures with flying removed (and therefore strictly worse), and so on, this is a natural evolution.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Except artifacts. Also, Erase is better than Demystify unless you want to commit a crime.

They're also trying to make green into a removal color. Given that they've pretty much destroyed the rest of its mechanical identity with splicers, reach creatures that are just flying creatures with flying removed (and therefore strictly worse), and so on, this is a natural evolution.

Reach? Giant Spider has been around since Alpha.

Yes, and it's strictly worse than Azure Drake. Which was his point: Green's reach creatures are strictly worse than otherwise-identical flying versions in other colors.

Yes, and it's strictly worse than Azure Drake. Which was his point: Green's reach creatures are strictly worse than otherwise-identical flying versions in other colors.

You don't "destroy the rest of its mechanical identity" when that was green's mechanical identity from the very beginning.