B/W Exalted

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just got an M13 Deck Builder's box and got a good many exalted cards - at least one of each of the new exalted cards (except Sublime Archangel. I tried my hand at putting together an exalted deck that is similar to the Sole Domination deck pack however I'd like to have better ratios of exalted cards. What should I add or take out? - my first thought is perhaps a playset of tormented Soul and know Vampire Nighthawks the they are more mana intensive.

Creatures-27
4x Duty-Bound Dead
2x Tormented Soul
3x Knight of Infamy
3x Knight of Glory3x [c]Aven Squire
3x Guardians of Akrasa
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Liliana’s Shade
2x Duskmantle Prowler
2x Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Spells-9
3x Angelic Benediction
3x Murder
3x Oblivion Ring
Land-24
4x Cathedral of War
12x Swamp
8x Plains

Wait...your deckbuilder box came with 4x Cathedral of War? 
no, sorry, it didn't come with any Cathedrals. But I got a Nefarox and one of all the other Exalted creatures I have listed (+ a Servant of Nefarox). I'm thinking of replacing the nighthawks with servants since it gets more exalted and the tormented souls have better evasion than the hawk anyway.
I think the Nighthawks give your deck badly needed defense capabilities which is a big problem in exalted decks.  The deathtouch makes people think twice about attacking or blocking with fatties.
Don't take out Nighthawk whatever you do. :p
Maybe take out the Guardians of Akrasa instead.
should I run a playset of the Nighthawks and the Tormented Souls? Those are the best evaders in the deck. If I take out the Guardians of Akrasa should I replace them with Servant of Nefarox?
Just so you (and I) can keep up with the changes, here's the original decklist:

Creatures-27
4x Duty-Bound Dead
2x Tormented Soul
3x Knight of Infamy
3x Knight of Glory
3x Aven Squire
3x Guardians of Akrasa
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Liliana’s Shade
2x Duskmantle Prowler
Spells-9
3x Angelic Benediction
3x Murder
3x Oblivion Ring
Land-24
4x Cathedral of War
12x Swamp
8x Plains

Some Comments:
Tormented Soul is good, but there's enough cheap, evasive exaulted that I don't think you need more than two. The Knight of Glory/Infamy pair and Aven Squire are amazing early damage machines and the knights double as sometimes-AAA blockers as well.

But enough general chitchat. Things I would recomend cutting: Duskmantle Prowler really isn't pulling its weight here. It's expensive, lacks evasion, and has a low power for it's cost. OUT. I like Liliana's Shade a lot, but by the time you can cast it you don't need any more swamps and with 24 lands in the deck you don't need the extra in any case.  Angelic Benediction could be a nice way to help you push through some damage, but with all this evasion (and I plan on adding more) it just isn't needed.

Your current decklist looks like this: 

Creatures-23
4x Duty-Bound Dead
2x Tormented Soul
3x Knight of Infamy
3x [c]Knight of Glory
3x Aven Squire
3x Guardians of Akrasa
3x Vampire Nighthawk
Spells-6
3x Murder
3x Oblivion Ring
Land-24
4x Cathedral of War
12x Swamp
8x Plains
Total:53 

Now that there's some breathing room we can get to things to add: Like I said, evasion plus exaulted is great so with the freed up slots I'd max out on Knights of Blank and Aven Squires. One omision I found odd in your decklist was Servant of Nefarox. Between a high starting power and exalted I'd say 4 of these is a fine addition to the deck. It also happens to be one of the few exalted creatures that can plausably trade on the block, something you won't want to do often, but it's nice to have the option.

Bringing the final decklist to:
Creatures-26
4x Duty-Bound Dead
2x Tormented Soul
4x Knight of Infamy
4x Knight of Glory
4x Aven Squire
3x Guardians of Akrasa
3x Vampire Nighthawk
4x Servant of Nefarox
Spells-6
3x Murder
3x Oblivion Ring
Land-24
4x Cathedral of War
12x Swamp
8x Plains
Total: 60
This should be a solid agressive deck with enough spot-removal to clear a short path to victory.
For future reference, please alphabatize your spellsas it makes it easier to keep up with what's in the deck.
Thank you very much Deaderpool! You have been a lot of help. Now for a little more discussion...Servant of Nefarox is definitely a powerful beater, however, isn't it very susceptible to cheap black or red burn? I would also lose 1 murder for a 4th ring since it is more splashable AND has more targets.
IDK if this would help...

4 Isolated Chapel to avoid mana clumps
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Other than cost is there a reason you run Nefarox vs Sublime Archangel?
absolutely not, but the cost is just way too high
Whatever you do, it is probably smart to run a playset of Duty-Bound Dead, Aven Squire, Knight of Infamy, Knight of Glory, and Guardians of Akrasa.
thoughts on replacing servant of nefarox with crusader of odric?

Also, is it wise to have 2 Nefarox, overlord of grixis? I would like to keep this deck in standard format (but it is still for casual play) - are there any tutors still in standard?
im just gunna say that haveing sublime archangel for exalted is amazing i have one and if you get your hands on a whisper silk clothe you will be unstopble oh and dont trade out the servant i have an exalted deck myself and i put both odric and the servant in if i knew how to put those links to the cards on id show you but me is tard so maybe you can teach me?
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
to autocard... [*c*]Servant of Nefarox[*/c*] = Servant of Nefarox (just take out the stars* - no spaces). So you have both the Crusader and the Servant in your deck? Not just the Servant? Is there anything I should take out to add the Crusader or should I just forget about it?
look at it this way with both you get crusader of odric out after you have all your low costing manna exalted cards boosting crusader have your exalted stay back while your crusader attacks all buffed up from the cards on the field and from the exalted also a card to add to the deck would be Whispersilk Cloak it helps if you want to keep a card from being murderd defentily want if you plan on getting sublime but its up to 
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Whispersilk Cloak is really slow.
even so amazing card

I am White/Black
I am White/Black
My question still has not been answered...What should I take out for the Crusaders?

The current decklist is as follows:

Creatures-27
4x Duty-Bound Dead
2x Tormented Soul
4x Knight of Infamy
4x Knight of Glory
4x Aven Squire
2x Guardians of Akrasa
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Servant of Nefarox
Spells-9
2x Murder
4x Oblivion Ring
3x Angelic Benediction
Land-24
4x Cathedral of War
12x Swamp
8x Plains
Exalted decks are usually weak om defense. So you could easily lose the only reason for you Crusader to Exist, having people around it to pump it, with a silly Mutilate or someting similar from a foe.

You're better off, in reply to an earlier question, IMHO to use Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis instead instead of Crusader of Odric

BUT that being said there are better cards out there for you if you look. You could even roll with 3-4 Silverblade Paladins and have your single 'weak' Exalted hit twice not much will hang around after that. ;)

What's nice with your 'undead' version of the W/B Exalted vesus my 'all human' version is that you have more avoidance than I have and I'm forced to run w/ Artifacts to try and compensate.

I already have 2 Nefaroxes in the deck, as a legendary, I don't want to get multiples in my hand. I do like the silverblades however....ty for the suggestions!
Sign In to post comments