Question on monster builder and combat tracker

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Runfer_cover about three weeks ago or so made this comment:

"Both the Monster Builder and Character Builder are great for running a game, since I can import the data onto my combat tracker and it tracks powers used and hit points".

So two questions:

1. I am trying to use the monster builder, but I can't seem to make parties of the monsters, more then one on a page at a time. Is there a way to make one, save it somewhere, then make another and add it to the first, so I can group all my enounters together on one or two pages rather then printing off one page for each creature then having to start over on the next.

2. What is this combat tracker that he speaks of... I am envisioning a device that fits onto my arm so I can scan the information as I play, however I have concerns I am about to be dissapointed.     

Runfer_cover about three weeks ago or so made this comment:

"Both the Monster Builder and Character Builder are great for running a game, since I can import the data onto my combat tracker and it tracks powers used and hit points".

So two questions:

1. I am trying to use the monster builder, but I can't seem to make parties of the monsters, more then one on a page at a time. Is there a way to make one, save it somewhere, then make another and add it to the first, so I can group all my enounters together on one or two pages rather then printing off one page for each creature then having to start over on the next.

2. What is this combat tracker that he speaks of... I am envisioning a device that fits onto my arm so I can scan the information as I play, however I have concerns I am about to be dissapointed.     

If you're running the game the old school way (with no computer or mobile device at the table) then you've got your work cut out for you. 

The game features quite a lot of tracking that needs to be accounted for (initiative, conditions, stances, states, hit points, action points, etc for BOTH sides of every encounter), and all of them are in a constant state of change. To deal with this, a lot of DMs use digital tracking programs at the table which they refer to by using their laptop or mobile device. That would be a "combat tracker". These programs are usually created and distributed by third party developers for free. A simple google search of "4e combat tracker" will get you a lot of good results if you're interested.

If you're not interested in running the game with a laptop or mobile device at the table with you, I do know that you can export monster stat blocks from the Monster Builder as .rtf (rich text format) files for use in wordpad and other word processing documents. You could just do this and copy/paste all of the stat blocks into a single text document and then print that. It might not be the most time efficient thing in the world, but the end result would be one or two pages of encounters instead of one page per monster.

If all else fails, get old school with it:

Get a piece of paper and a pencil.
Get a handful of multi-colored bookmarks.
Put the bookmarks in your monster manual on the pages for creatures that you're planning to use.
Write down the color of each bookmark and the creature it corresponds to.
Flip to the proper creatures during play as needed. 

:P 

Check out power2ool.com
I use it to accomplish exactly what you're asking for (printing several monsters on one page). The old offline monster builder let you export to the Windows clipboard (so you could paste several monsters in a file).  The new one doesn't.