I'd like to try playtesting without classes, please!

A poster from another thread that seems worthy of its own topic:

"Not to completely derail, but wouldn't it be even better if there isn't a need to have multiclassing? Be it by a build-your-class module, or simply having the classes be easily extensible and varied to handle all but the most extreme corner cases (and I can't think of any off-hand)."

I think this is a neat idea.  You get X feature sets to build your custom class with. Plus a background and 1 or 2 specialties.
Break the feature sets down something like so:

Martial Set - Combat superiority
Thaumaturgy - Vancian Magic
Sorcery - Non Vancian Arcane Magic
Etc

Everything else feature wise is handled with specialties.
For example:

Acolyte - Orisons, etc
Mage - Cantrips, etc
Ritualist - Ritual casting, etc
Ranger - Creature Taming, etc
Etc

Everything else economy wise and skill wise is handled with backgrounds (like it already is)
For example:

Woodsman - Light armor and Bow proficiencies, appropriate skills
etc

This would mean you create your own class, and no more need for traditional multiclassing.  There might be an option that at higher levels you can train in a new feature set instead of your current ones. 

The traditional class templates would be provided as examples class kits.  Thoughts?
As much as you and others may want this, it's just not going to happen. Too big of a departure from D&D's typical style. Changes like that are not going to be a part of Next, especially not during the play tests. If there's enough support for it post launch, maybe it'll be included in a Mod.
That's not necessarily as predictable as you think.  This kind of thing could easily be in an Appendix.  So basically, the class section has all the traditional class kits, then the appendix opens up the curtain and says "We made all the classes you see with this class-maker toolkit.  Here you go, it's yours too now."
This wouldnt be core, but it is something I want as a module...

Unfortunately I also wanted this as a module in the large thread dedicated to just this topic that has been circulating for a while. 
Are you going to link it?  :P  I didn't see it.  Or would it be a true ressurection at this point?
I'd like it if there wasn't multi-classing. Backgrounds and specialties seem to do what multi-classing would do fluff wise. Though I know there are people who loved to have weird multiclassing builds. Mostly for power gaming purposes in my experience. 
Ant Farm
Yeah, I agree.  I think that's why this idea strikes a chord with me.  I've always perceived multi-classing in D&D to be clunky on the roleplay/fiction side, and primarily available as an option for players who want to make a truly power hungry character.  Little drags me out of the fiction like seeing someone who calls themselves a "fighter-mage-thief".

With something closer to my proposal, you aren't combining classes, you're combining feature sets to make an entirely new class. It's up to the player and/or DM to come up with the title and fiction behind how they fit into the world, instead of lazily saying "oh yeah, I'm a fighter-mage-thief" just because I want to be.

If something like the above system were included in a special chapter or appendix (maybe only in the DM guide), then you'd have three levels of complexity available at character creation, based on a player's preference:

1) Pregen Characters - for players who want in quick, or are new to the game

2) Choose Class, Background, Specialty and Race - for players who want more depth in creating a character that's their own

3) Create a Class, plus choose Background, Specialty and Race - for players who want the most control over what makes their charaacter truly unique in the setting; or maybe take a traditional class and twist it just a bit.  Both could be called "Fighter" but maybe one only gets light armor but can sneak attack.

All the classes in option 2 would be constructed using the same rules as option 3.  To really showcase the system, they could even include some of the core classes like Paladin and Ranger in that Appendix and demonstrate how they were created using the system.

Kind of a throw-back to 2E, but a bit improved this time around.
My favorite "class" was the D&D Basic/Expert Elf. That is the only multi-class I want (Personally). Every edition since then has eroded it more and more. When I think Elf, I think armored warrior with magical abilities.

I know I could do that character in a "class-less" system if given the right tools.