should higher skill rank have roleplay effects ?

wel you start with a +3 but can increase up to +7

so should having higher ranks have roleplay effects ?
for example when you reach +5 and +7

at +7 skill training you would be considerd one of the great masters in the field.

so people might come to you with lore questions,or with special requests concerning your skill. 
If you are the DM then do it. There doesn't need to be a codified ruleset governing this.
Tha answer to your question is yes (IMHO), but the answer to how is as Alynn described (also IMHO).

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

I honestly believe that skill points should be brought back instead of training skills. Characters seem too stagnant now-a-day. Its one of my least favorite changes from 3.5e to 4e.

Its a mechanical issue, I don't see homebrewing skills mainly because the mechanic is very much a part of what makes a game. Its hard to homebrew a balance between a skilled an unskilled individual.
Ant Farm
In my games, higher trainings in skills will certainly have RP effects. However, I agree with the other posters that stated it shouldn't be forced. I'm without a doubt doing it!
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
There should be a cap on how high skill ranks can go. When you have a +5 in Diplomacy, alright, it's understood that you're a smooth talker, and you can converse your way around a problem fairly easier than most people. But what in the world does it mean when you have a +15 to Diplomacy? That every body in the world instantly agrees with everything you say? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
There should be a cap on how high skill ranks can go. When you have a +5 in Diplomacy, alright, it's understood that you're a smooth talker, and you can converse your way around a problem fairly easier than most people. But what in the world does it mean when you have a +15 to Diplomacy? That every body in the world instantly agrees with everything you say? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The current maximum in the playtest materials is +7 ranks. The highest bonus from ability scores is +5. Thus far, the absolute highest one could get is +12 if they spent all of their ranks on one skill up to level 8 AND had 20 in that ability.

I definitely agree with your statement. However, I think the cap in place is just fine.  The highest bonus possible to our knowledge will still require a roll of 13 to succeed a Nearly Impossible task (40% success rate), a 10 to succeed on a Formidable check (55% success rate), and a 7 to succeed on a Very Hard check (70% success rate), and a 4 to succeed on a Hard task (85% success rate). Even the most skilled and naturally talented individual will fail a Hard task at least 15% of the time, and a Nearly Impossible task 60% of the time. Seems fair to me.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
wel you start with a +3 but can increase up to +7

so should having higher ranks have roleplay effects ?
for example when you reach +5 and +7

at +7 skill training you would be considerd one of the great masters in the field.

so people might come to you with lore questions,or with special requests concerning your skill. 

The problem here is that, let's say there is a world class master with a +7 in Natural Lore.  This is a guy who spent his entire life in the wilderness.  However, the most practical thing to be good at living in the wild like that is to be Wise, as Survival is critical to, well, actual bodily survival.  So, this master has only a 10 Intelligence.

A wizard with a lot of natural talent (+4 Int mod), but fresh out of wizard school seeks him out to study with him.  He's basically trained, so he gets a +3.  Unfortunately, this makes him equal to the master when it comes to actual rolls.  Both get a +7.  Should random students be coming after the fresh wizard college grad, too?

The short version is, you have to use the total bonus to determine who really is great. 

Sign In to post comments