Legacy MBC looking to do Modern

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi so I have this budget Mono Black Control deck that I am planning to have it be more competitive both on Legacy and MODERN format as well. I have posted the same decklist from the Legacy section and I am wanting to somehow convert this deck to a competitive modern format. Please help me convert this deck. Thank You!

Legend: * = To be replaced 

Should I replace [C]Hymn to Tourach[/C] with [C]Wrench Mind[/C]? or can you suggest what card should I replace it with?

I should also replace [C]Dark Ritual[/C]. What cards should I replace it with that are legal in Modern? Thanks!

Main Deck

Creatures: 17
3 [C]Abyssal Persecutor[/c]
4 [C]Gatekeeper of Malakir[/C]
4 [C]Vampire Nighthawk[/C]
2 [C]Phyrexian Obliterator[/C]
4 [C]Nyxathid[/C]

Spells/Enchantment: 17
4 [C]Hymn to Tourach[/C] * to be replaced with Wrench Mind
4 [C]Inquisition of Kozilek[/C]
4 [C]Dark Ritual[/C] * to be replaced with Funeral Charm ???
2 [C]Go for the Throat[/C]
2 Mutilate
1 Infernal Tutor

Artifacts: 6
4 [C]The Rack[/C]
2 [C]Ratchet Bomb[/C]

Lands: 20
18 [C]Swamp[/C]
2 [C]Bojuka Bog[/C]

Sideboards
4 [C]Duress[/C]
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Painful Quandary
1 Haunting Echoes
4 Augur of Skulls
2 Infest

Notable Cards I have
4 Demonlord of Ashmouth
1 [C]Hypnotic Specter[/C]
2 [C]Shimian Specter[/C]
4 [C]Guul Draz Specter[/C]
4 [C]Quest for the Nihil Stone[/C]
1 [C]Oona's Prowler[/C]
2 [C]Black Knight[/C]

Notable Cards to get:
2/4 [C]Verdant Catacombs[/C]
2/3 [C]Damnation[/C]
2 [C]Phyrexian Arena[/C] // not really ready to get [C]
Dark Confidant[/C]
4 [C]Thoughtsieze[/C]

I have a friend who runs a nasty black discard deck. I'll list some cards he main-decks that you don't have down here.

Wrench Mind
Duress
Funeral Charm
Augur of Skulls
Nezumi Shortfang
Damnation
Muilate
Nyxathid and The Rack are also big finishers for him

And that's all I can remember. When I play it again I'll remember what was in it and relay some more info. Gl with mono-black control. Another idea is Smallpox. Kinda hard to play, but definatly a cool card for mono black.
thanks for your help! I have updated my deck now. Are there any good cards that can help me boost my black mana pool instantly like Dark Ritual that is legal in modern? thanks!
no man... dark ritual is not legal. pull your ass out of your head. :S
no man... dark ritual is not legal. pull your ass out of your head. :S

You got me wrong man, I was asking for somehow a replacement for Dark Ritual I am clearly aware that he is not legal in modern thanks for the help though
oh okay, gotchya...

i would like to reiterate some of my points. I fully recommend runnng nezumi shortfang. he is instant discard, really useful for when you have your opponent topdecking (because you can make them discard the card they draw at the end of their draw-phase). and when he flips he is another rack on the table.

augur of skulls, also quite good when he lands his trigger during your upkeep. i would also recommend at least trying him.

i'd probably run 8 one-drop discard spells, minimum, so you can consistantly play one to open the game. whether it be funeral charm, duress, inquisition of kozilek or thoughtseize.

i was thinking again and i'm not sure i would use smallpox, but again, it might be worth a try.

also, just a thought i had right now, but you could splash red for Blightning.

also again, dark confidant might work if your list has a low enough curve. but he does cost a pretty penny.
oh okay, gotchya...

i would like to reiterate some of my points. I fully recommend runnng nezumi shortfang. he is instant discard, really useful for when you have your opponent topdecking (because you can make them discard the card they draw at the end of their draw-phase). and when he flips he is another rack on the table.

augur of skulls, also quite good when he lands his trigger during your upkeep. i would also recommend at least trying him.

i'd probably run 8 one-drop discard spells, minimum, so you can consistantly play one to open the game. whether it be funeral charm, duress, inquisition of kozilek or thoughtseize.

i was thinking again and i'm not sure i would use smallpox, but again, it might be worth a try.

also, just a thought i had right now, but you could splash red for Blightning.

also again, dark confidant might work if your list has a low enough curve. but he does cost a pretty penny.

I see Vanbee thanks! I will do try Augur of Skulls for some playtest, I had them before but I find him slow though I will try him again thanks! I actually run on 8 1cc discarding cards right now with 4 funerals +  4 inquisition

I will try to get smallpox as well, umm which one is better replacement for dark confidant = phyrexian arena // dark tutelage // ad nauseam ?? thanks!
there is no replacement for dark confidant.. he is the best. but you could try phyrexian arena, although it is a but clunky. maybe just go another route?

use the shortfang! 
there is no replacement for dark confidant.. he is the best. but you could try phyrexian arena, although it is a but clunky. maybe just go another route?

use the shortfang! 

I see, what do you mean another route? I really want to get dark confidant but I may not have him soon, so I am looking for servicable replacement to him for now since I dont have the budget yet and yes I forgot I mighr get myself shortfang sometime this week will try him too thanks!
had to ask this question, which one is better for my deck Tectonic Edge vs. Ghost Quarter? thanks!
smallpox is fantastic with bloodghast.
had to ask this question, which one is better for my deck Tectonic Edge vs. Ghost Quarter? thanks!

Likely ghost quarter.  A lot of decks are running few to no basic lands.