Cheap Alternatives?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have been looking for cheap alternatives for my Mono Black Aggro deck that I am hoping to build for legacy tourneys so I am asking if this cards are good alternatives for now?

Legend:
Alternative Cards = Real Cards

1. Vampiric Link = Umezawa's Jitte // Basilisk Collar

(I got Vampiric Link for about $0.10 and it seems to me that it could be a lot better than Basilisk Collar since it has "Lifelink" effect and lesser casting/equiping cost but without death touch, am I doing it wrong or what?)

2. Mutilate = Damnation
3. Inquisition of Kozilek // Duress = Thoughtseize
4. Phyrexian Arena // Dark Tutelage // Ad Nauseam = Dark Confidant
5. Ghost Quarter = Wasteland

(Is Ghost Quarter better than Tectonic Edge as an alternative for Wasteland?)

Please correct me if I am wrong or are there better cards than my alternatives. Thanks!

Vampiric Link doesn't even come close to the strength of Umezawa's Jitte. In fact, I don't even know why you'd want to play Link.

Mutilate doesn't hit certain key things like Tarmogoyf, and I'm not really sure why you want to run an expensive wrath effect in the first place.

Inquisition of Kozilek is a fine alternative to Thoughtseize. The 3 CMC clause on Inquisition is not going to be relevant often, and the life loss on Thoughtseize is not going to be relevant often. There are a couple of things Inquisition can miss, but a lot of times you'll want to take something that it can hit anyway. I guess what you should play depends on whether you expect to see more aggro and beats, or more control.

None of those alternatives can even lay a finger on Dark Confidant. It is cheaper and can actually attack your opponent (or block if it has to). All your spells should be cheap, so the additional life loss compared to Phyrexian Arena shouldn't be too big.

Ghost Quarter isn't good if your opponent is running basics. Wasteland is like Raze, but on the land itself. No comparison. Tectonic Edge is too slow for Legacy's game.

Banshee's Blade  costs the same to cast and equip as the Jitte and while not as good, can provide a similar effect.
The Link also isn't in the same field as Basilisk Collar. You play the Collar with Tims and things of that nature. Vampiric Link, like its white cousin Spirit Link, can play a role as Guard Duty and create tension if your opponent blocks.

Blood Seeker = Suture Priest

Lifelink = Spirit Link

Curiosity = Sword of Fire and Ice

Greed = Necropotence / Yawgmoth's Bargain / Phyrexian Arena
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
thanks for your help guys your comments really helped me alot deciding what cards to get thanks!
I honestly don't think that Bob is strictly better than Phyrexian Arena, Bob is incredibly easy to remove because players are far more likely to run creature removal than enchantment removal. Bob also hurts you more, particuarly in decks with high CMC. In a mono black deck, you can still turn one Phyrexian Area (via [c[Dark Ritual[/c])
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I honestly don't think that Bob is strictly better than Phyrexian Arena, Bob is incredibly easy to remove because players are far more likely to run creature removal than enchantment removal. Bob also hurts you more, particuarly in decks with high CMC. In a mono black deck, you can still turn one Phyrexian Area (via [c[Dark Ritual[/c])

Bob is definitely better than Arena in your typical Legacy monoblack deck. Nobody said strictly better, you're the only one who used that term.