Complete Inn/Home Owner

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Players might be allowed a building as a reward... but it doesn't really say how much the stuff for the building costs. If players want to, should I go to the effort of a price list for all the stuff that goes in buildings? Some of it could be from treasure, too. Hell, Skyrim has new DLC specifically for home ownership, so maybe there's something in this? You can do landlording in other fantasy games too (Fable comes to mind). So why not D&D!

*gotta go to dinner right now, will post more as I make it* 
You know, really, everybody wants to make this game to too frickin' complicated.

I plopped my wife's character down in a monastery-turned-fencing school once, where she had a running melee with a high level monk (far higher level than her character) that simply out-distanced her every round for ever and ever.

This dueling/fencing school was smack dab in the middle of a large city.

She finally and amazingly won the day.  (Well, okay, the night).  Her swashbuckler/pirate took possession of the premises on the spot, she loved the layout so much.  She turned the place into a back-room card game establishment and some-time brothel and lives there to this day.

I didn't even have to give her character any treasure for that adventure and amazing "battle".  The building was enough, and she was happy as a fly on...  well, you know...

For what it's worth tho, I saw something about buildings and things once, I think in AD&D (now called 1e?).  They aren't really terribly expensive.  I think castles and things started getting pricey.  I can't remember if I've seen that for 3.5

Good luck! 
The DMG 3.5 has prices of buildings, and the PHB goods and services, but nothing about the stuff that goes in buildings.
Okay, now I think you are looking for a whole different question then.  You want to know about art work and mirrors and decor.  This idea was in fact addressed a couple of months ago.  But all that stuff is in the books too.  

And I say again:  Stop making it so complicated.  Describe it as a storyteller.  As lavish as you want to.  Asign it a final gp. value like you are the host of Pawn Stars.  (Basically, you get half price).

Just keep it to the DMG rules for character level worth, and you'll be great. 
Okay, now I think you are looking for a whole different question then.  You want to know about art work and mirrors and decor.  This idea was in fact addressed a couple of months ago.  But all that stuff is in the books too.  

And I say again:  Stop making it so complicated.  Describe it as a storyteller.  As lavish as you want to.  Asign it a final gp. value like you are the host of Pawn Stars.  (Basically, you get half price).

Just keep it to the DMG rules for character level worth, and you'll be great. 

with the difference of common robes and royal robes and some goods you can estimate the price of mundane items from common to luxury
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.

Arms and equipment guide might give some help. As would the stronghold builders guidebook. 

What stuff in a building are you looking to furnish it with? A lot of stuff is priced based on the "Quality" of the item. A stool is fairly cheap, a golden throne with platinum inlay costs more. You could probably up the price even more if you wanted it made from wall of force spells. 

Art is totally dependant on the quality of the picture. 

Base prices can be calculated based off the craft for raw materials and finished product if they make it themselves and the profession if they pay someone to make it though. Maybe cost to create in goods, + cost of hiring that profession for that many days for a total cost.

You want some silverware. You hire a blacksmith for 4sp/day as per DMG pg 105. You want "masterwork" silverware. Thats the fancy custom made stuff. Our blacksmith has +3 from skill focus, and +3 from ability score. He also gets 3 ranks, and uses masterwork tools of his own for +11. He takes 10 on the check, giving a 21. 

First he must craft the silverware. Lets say the DC to craft a silver spoon is the same as a wooden one. Our crafter gets a 21 on his check, so we multiply that by 5 giving 105. He is able to finish in a day, great! He makes silverware that has a base cost of 105sp. 1/3 of that is 35sp in "Materials". He then gets to craft the "masterwork component" which for tools is 50gp by default and has a DC of 20. This takes him about 8 days and costs the PCs 16gp, 6 silver and 7 copper in "materials". Our total cost for silverware from this smith is now up to 51gp, 6 sp and 7 cp. Lastly, he gets to add his daily wages. 4sp per day for 8 days.

This silverware costs 54gp, 8sp, and 7cp. 

They can totally pay more to find a better smith, but this is the cheapest way if they want masterwork silverware. They could also pay less, and find a guy who can't do masterwork. 

The DC for a spoon is 5, so we can actually let "Jimbos brother/uncle" do it. He has an int penalty of -3 and uses really crappy makeshift tools for a -2. He also has no ranks, but put some in bluff and is able to convince you he knows what he is doing. He takes 10, and gets a 5, barely hitting the DC. He can use 25sp as his "materials" cost and the PCs pay 8sp and 4cp. It only takes him a day, and he gets to take on his daily wage of 4sp. In total the PCs can pay him 1gp, 2sp and 4cp.

This silverware costs 1gp, 2sp, and 4cp. It is much cheaper, but holy damn is it ugly.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Players might be allowed a building as a reward... but it doesn't really say how much the stuff for the building costs. If players want to, should I go to the effort of a price list for all the stuff that goes in buildings? Some of it could be from treasure, too. Hell, Skyrim has new DLC specifically for home ownership, so maybe there's something in this? You can do landlording in other fantasy games too (Fable comes to mind). So why not D&D!

*gotta go to dinner right now, will post more as I make it* 

Arms and Equipment (3.0) and Cityscape are good resources for goods and services.

Other then that you should probably just wing it for costs depending upon the luxury/quality the want, mundane, royal, masterworked, etc  
I would recommend the Stronghold Builder's Guide... It has pretty much everything you would need for building and maintaining a stronghold...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg)