Animar, Soul of Elements Deck review/help

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/24...

Creatures:

1   Animar, Soul of Elements
1   Augury Owl
1   Sphinx of Uthuun
1   Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1   Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1   Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1   It That Betrays
1   Memnite
1   Ornithopter
1   Solemn Simulacrum
1   Darksteel Colossus
1   Wurmcoil Engine
1   Birds of Paradise
1   Clone
1   Strangleroot Geist
1   Young Wolf
1   Vorapede
1   Phyrexian Walker
1   Myojin of Life's Web
1   Myojin of Seeing Winds
1   Ezuri's Archers
1   Viridian Emissary
1   Primeval Titan
1   Inferno Titan
1   Crimson Kobolds
1   Crookshank Kobolds
1   Kobolds of Kher Keep
1   Godo's Irregulars
1   Bond Beetle
1   Flying Men
1   Chronomaton
1   Clockwork Beetle
1   Slumbering Dragon

Other Spells:

1   Preordain
1   Curiosity
1   Ponder
1   Unsummon
1   Brainstorm
1   Berserk
1   Lightning Bolt
1   Burgeoning
1   Jace's Ingenuity
1   Steady Progress
1   Tezzeret's Gambit
1   Fuel for the Cause
1   Volt Charge
1   Contagion Clasp
1   Contagion Engine
1   Blue Sun's Zenith
1   Green Sun's Zenith
1   Repeal
1   Lead the Stampede

This will be my first EDH deck. I dont even know the rules entirely, but ive been working on this deck for some time.
The idea is to play a ton of low cmc creatures to get Animar, Soul of Elements bigger and make the higher cmc creatures easier to play. there is also a lot of drawing and proliferating to help his out. he has natural protection from Doom blade and Murder.

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT LANDS TO PUT IN.... if i wanted to get animar out asap, idk what would be the best lands. AND im missing several other cards. i ran out of ideas. Any suggestions or constructive critisicm would be greatly appreciated!!!!! IT IS SO HARD TO MAKE AN EDH DECK
IF you want to edit the deck and complete it or just add or remove some cards, you MAY click the link and then edit it. save it as new and just post the link here. That would be AWESOME. THNX
Play cheap creatures with low colored requirements that have enter the battlefield effects- particularly land searching and card draw. Then play skullclamp.

3DH4LIF3

And learn to autocard, so people like me will be able to take the time to actually look at your cards.
[ c ]Cardname[ /c ]      (remove spaces)     becomes Cardname

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Like niheloim said, cut the 0cc creatures and instead play cheap value creatures. Suppose you have 20 'free' dudes in your deck. That's 1 every 5 cards. So on turn 3 you draw your 10th card and cast animar, and can put 2 counters on him....now what? You're out of steam and are still going to be topdecking for a long, long time before you can go dropping eldrazi on the cheap. (By the way, emrakul is banned)

If you're instead filling out the deck with creatures like wall of blossoms, coiling oracle, elvish visionary, and evokable mulldrifters, your creatures will be helping you to dig into other creatures, and animar will grow much faster. Cards like glimpse of nature and soul of the harvest are pretty sweet too.

The easiest way to pump animar is to replay the same creatures over and over. [C]Shrieking drake[/c], dream stalker, man-o'-war can all read "U: add a counter to animar" if you want them to. [C]Equilibrium[/c], cloudstone curio, and tidespout tyrant also work wonders, although they're so combolicious that you have to be very careful with those, if you playgroup doesn't like that.
Animar is in my opinion really strong general, and my animar deck is my favorite at the moment even in my combointensive and competitive playtable.

Although Emrakul  is banned by the popular 'semi-official' ban list. If your playgroup accepts him its  fine of course since its not REALLY official banlist. 

Good plan is to have lots of creatures with strong comes into play abilities whose mana cost is like color+X, so Animar makes them cheaper. palinchron for example is by itself an infinite combo with Animar plus 6 lands out of which 4 produce blue mana. One more land, its infinite mana and infinite-sized animar. You also  need a big bunch of cheap 3cc or less creatures to pump animar up so that your primeval titans cost 2 and so on. 

So yeah, forget cheap vanilla creatures like ornithopter, and instead concentrate on creatures with strong abilities. 

Examples of nice ones:
momir vig, simic visionary is a great  tutoring card as long as  you have both blue and green creatures. My own animar deck is like all blue/green, except  for kiki-jiki, mirror breaker which forms combos of its own with pestermite and deceiver exarch

brutalizer exarch - see above

bloom tender - mana creatures like this are awesome. 2cc creature that produces 3 mana with Animar on the table? yes please. 

phantasmal image cheap creatures like this are premium. 

tidespout tyrant - combo in 3..2..1.. 

I don't have my own animar deck handy at the moment so I dont  remember all the cards, but animar deck is just soooooo fun to build and play. 

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
About lands: How much is price an issue?

Anyways, having some good elementals is always good.  Flamekin Harbinger can tutor for them (and Animar if he gets tucked), and cards like Mulldrifter, Aethersnipe, and Spitebellows can give you nice effects while also counting as spells if you evoke them.  Soul of the Harvest draws you cards, and Maelstrom Wanderer cascades twice.

Which brings me to the next subject.  Cascade.  Having some cascade critters in there gives you the chance to get multiple counters on Animar per cast.  Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, Bloodbraid Elf, and Shardless Agent are all good choices.

Cheap critters that replace themselves are also good. Coiling Oracle is very awesome, and Fierce Empath can find one of your fatties.

Protecting Animar is important.  Darksteel Plate, Lightning Greaves, and Swiftfoot boots are the usual choices.  Animar also benefits a lot from Sword of Fire and Ice, though it's a bit pricey.

And now for random suggestions.  Draining Whelk and Mystic Snake are counterspells in creature form.  If Animar gets going, Whelk is a counterspell with a giant flying body.  Deadwood Treefolk lets you reuse your creatures.  Guided Passage is three cards for three mana.
Thanks for all the great info!!!

If it isnt to much to ask, could someone post their animar deck or a link to one so i can have an exampe to build on?

if i do see an example, ill post a new decklist on this forum with Autocard!
Are all of these cards even legal? I did a little bit of changing around myself, replaced like 2 cards haha
I like Ring of Evos Isle more than Ring of Kalonia.  Hexproof is probably going to be more useful than trample in the long run.  Elgaud Shieldmate seems better than protective bubble, since it's a creature.  Diplomatic Immunity also seems to do that job better.

What is the purpose of Deceiver Exarch and Pestermite?  I'm not seeing the use of tap/untap target permanent in this deck.
Well, if you have animar with 2+ counters, they can untap the blue source that was used to cast them, which allows them to be played for 'free' for endless bouncing fun with cloudstone curio and tidespout tyrant. And if the land was a bounceland, you can generate infinite mana this way, or use equilibrium to combo out.

Plus they combo with kiki-jiki, mirror breaker
Exactly! i like this list a lot and i think ill stick with it unless there is something terribly wrong with it. Thanks everybody!
I think you should find room for skull clamp and maybe trinket mage

3DH4LIF3

What about removal? this deck has none!?!?!?
Yeah, cutting primal surge for removal like beast within is gold-star worthy in my book. Also, make room for a pongify. Woodfall primus is good on its own to be removal, too.

EDIT: With forgotten ancient, woodfall primus might just be the sexiest thing ever. 
What is the synergy between the two? Im sorry for my ignorance

What is the synergy between the two? Im sorry for my ignorance

Primus dies, comes back with persist
Upkeep, give it a +1/+1 counter with Ancient
Counters cancel each other out
= infinite very slow woodfall primus triggers

Unless you have a sac outlet. Then it's a huge game waiting to happen. 
I run an Animar deck as well, here it is for reference.

You do need more removal than you currently have.  I suggest adding Duplicant, Phyrexian Ingester and Flametongue Kavu.

Eternal Witness is great with Animar, especially with all the bounce.  Shivan Wurm and Roaring Primadox are other good bounce cards.  Champion of Lambholt is insane in this deck, as is Lurking PredatorsWarstorm Surge can be fun too, especially with Kiki-Jiki.

Finally, Earthcraft is a MUST in any Animar deck.
I run an Animar deck as well, here it is for reference.

You do need more removal than you currently have.  I suggest adding Duplicant, Phyrexian Ingester and Flametongue Kavu.

Eternal Witness is great with Animar, especially with all the bounce.  Shivan Wurm and Roaring Primadox are other good bounce cards.  Champion of Lambholt is insane in this deck, as is Lurking PredatorsWarstorm Surge can be fun too, especially with Kiki-Jiki.

Finally, Earthcraft is a MUST in any Animar deck.

Is terastodon a good removal card or should i replace it with something you suggested?
Also i would like to start making a list of lands.
Command tower
Kazandu Refuge
vivid grove
copperline Gorge
ancient ziggurat
cascade bluffs
fire-lit thicket
Gruul turf
hinterland harbor
homeward path
rootbound crag
Izzet boilerworks 

And obviously some Forests, mountains, and islands.
IF you have any to add plz list them!
Simic Growth Chamber and Flooded Grove seem like good additions. Vivid Crag, Vivid Creek, and Rupture Spire are also good.  Don't forget Sulfur Falls.

Alchemist's Refuge and Desolate Lighthouse are quite useful.  Llanowar Reborn can get Animar going faster, as can Oran-Rief, the Vastwood and Novijen, Heart of ProgressHalimar Depths is just a good card.
Not a big fan of colorless producing lands in animar. I wouldn't play temple of false God over a dual color producer. Too often colorless wont be the problem.

3DH4LIF3

Is terastodon a good removal card or should i replace it with something you suggested?

Terastodon is a good card for removal, but I like either of the other two because they can exile creatures and you can cast Duplicant for free with enough counters.  I've never run Terastodon in my Animar deck but have considered it.

I like the ETB tapped lands for most of my decks, but not as much for Animar as the deck depends on your dropping big stuff quickly to go for the win.  ETB lands slow your tempo down.  That said, Mosswort Bridge is awesome in Animar, and I've found Meteor Crater to be very useful as well.

@niheloim - I run Temple of the False God in my Animar deck because colorless can be very important, since many players recognize the danger of Animar remaining on the field for a long period of time.
Not saying temple is unplayable... just not a pick over a good dual land. Stable colors over 5th land colorless ramp. Animar shouldn't be on the field for very long... you should be going off, playing dudes and winning before removal becomes an issue.

I was thinking on voidmage husher. Often the removal I'm staring down is an o-stone or a nev disk ready to pop should animar turn that way. I was debating on interdict for its drawing a card, but having a repeatable creature effect might be worthwhile.

I want to second llanowar reborn.

3DH4LIF3

HMMM. its so tough to take cards out. ill take out terastodon for either Champion of Lambholt or Voidmage Husher or Venser, Shaper Savant or Pongify.

The lands ill just combine all the lands you have suggested into one list. About how many lands should there be?

Edit: Also see what you guys think about Quest for the Gemblades
I would say that Quest for the Gemblades requires too much work for those counters.  Increasing Savagery is better.
I'm doing a theoretical version, because I like the idea of Animar as a commander, but any reason not to include Sun Quan, Lord of Wu ?

When I said it wasn't sarcasm, that was probably sarcasm. ~Thor665

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Formatting?- What's that?- http://community.wizards.com/filter/tips

There are better ways of getting animar to connect?

3DH4LIF3

What about removal? this deck has none!?!?!?

you can 
steal
bounce  (I cant write man'o'war correctly..)
destroy artifacts etc. 
But if you build this as a combodeck, you don't need to worry too much abou removal, just make sure you go off. 

Honestly, I like Beguiler of Wills in Animar over Sower of Temptation.
equilibrium is good. I think it's funny.
surprised no one said Erratic Portal you can bounce any creature you control back to your hand and repeat. also it's great against board wipers for your general to protect it as well

also Mystic Snake is another great bounce target 
Honestly, I like Beguiler of Wills in Animar over Sower of Temptation.

I  fail to see why. Although beguiler's effect is permanent, its still wayyy  weaker.  
Opponent plays Ulamog. Which would you rather have  in your hand?
I  fail to see why. Although beguiler's effect is permanent, its still wayyy  weaker.  
Opponent plays Ulamog. Which would you rather have  in your hand?

I never said Beguiler was strictly better, but I find it more fun in a creature heavy deck such as Animar.  Yeah, with your example Sower would be better.

Sower is generally better for having an immediate effect.

3DH4LIF3

Prime time hit the chopping block, go terastodon replacement!

concider using spellskite, as it can be a free drop that usually helps even if you are tapped out.  if you need mana fixing, concider prismatic omen as it can grant your lands to be tapped for any color you need.  ive found that using Sakashima the Impostor with animar as the choice also speeds up your drops, and in a pinch can be any one of the great eldrazi or other cards you have.  a list i used to run, untill recently, uses only one non permanent spell, primal surge.  that used with Laboratory Maniac and any draw such as from mulldrifter resulted in a insta win.  but thats only one way you can win. 

just some thoughts 
Sign In to post comments