By far the biggest issue in this game

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know glitches and issues have been discussed to death but this one I think far outweighs any random card glitches that sometimes happen ---> the inability to have enough time to select blockers.

You get all the time in the world to attack, but the defender gets a short amount of time to select blockers.

I was trying to block a 16/16 hydra, no problem since I had a 6/6 goblin and well over 10 1/1 goblins I could use to kill the hydra before it became a 32/32, and green had all its mana tapped so no worries of a Primal Bellow, Giant Growth or even Fog happening.

But of course, in trying to tap all 10 1/1 goblins, I ran out of time and ended up only doing about 10 damage instead of the full 16.

Luckily next turn my partner got a return permanent to hand and the hydra was gone but the fact that I could have easily killed it, but because of the stupid timer in blocking I wasn't able to, it was ridiculous.

Also...random other glitch, me and my partner each had like 17 cards at the end of a turn, before he even selected all 10 of his to dump it timed out and he lost a couple he would have kept while I had no chance to choose what I wanted to discard and ended up losing a card that would have won us the game the next round smh...
In your situation, you could've clicked on the field and dragged, selecting multiple blockers like how on Windows you select multiple files. But unfortunately that will only solve like 1/10 cases of this indeed major timing problem.

Same problem as your last point: the game gives you a certain amount of hidden time for every action (regardless of how much you actually have to do). If you're unable to complete the action, the game entirely cancels it (see: Nightmare Incursion. You managed to pick 5 of the most dangerous cards in your opponent's deck and ran out of time searching for the 6th? Too bad, those 5 you previously selected stay in the deck!). Unless that's impossible of course. Discarding from hand when holding too many cards is mandatory, so instead, the game just picked some random ones.
In your situation, you could've clicked on the field and dragged, selecting multiple blockers like how on Windows you select multiple files. But unfortunately that will only solve like 1/10 cases of this indeed major timing problem.

Same problem as your last point: the game gives you a certain amount of hidden time for every action (regardless of how much you actually have to do). If you're unable to complete the action, the game entirely cancels it (see: Nightmare Incursion. You managed to pick 5 of the most dangerous cards in your opponent's deck and ran out of time searching for the 6th? Too bad, those 5 you previously selected stay in the deck!). Unless that's impossible of course. Discarding from hand when holding too many cards is mandatory, so instead, the game just picked some random ones.

I'm on PS3  cant drag and select

I concur, my PS3 brotha. I cannot understand why the timer isn't at least relative to the amount of creatures on the field. When, even in a clear scenario like that, you don't have enough time to assign blockers, it's simply inexcusable.
I am Blue/White
I just want to let you guys know that I've passed on this feedback to the team. I hope it can be addressed in the future and if I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I'm with OP on this, insufficent time to assign blockers is a big deal, causing you to lose games that you had in the bag.

Also more time to choose which cards to discard at end of turn would be appreciated.
I agree but the sad thing is that the game is plauged with problems and it kind of pisses me off when you spend good money on a "Finished product" to have.

1. Connectivity issues.

2. When people rage quit you must log out to dashboard on XBL to accept invites again.

3. Mana Glitches

4. Syncing Glitches

5. When people quit some times the AI doenst take control of the situation and your stuck waiting for someone who has rage quit and end up   waisting your time.

6. They went back to the archaic way of unlocking cards (to promote the keys to unlock the full decks) A step back was absolutely not necessary. Though I do understand the buisiness aspect of it.

I have noticed that there is not enough time to do a lot of things in this game.  Mainly regarding searching libraries for specific things.  OD has been my biggest source of frustration so far.  With Diabolic Tutor, the card I was looking for must have been at the bottom of my library because before I was able to flip thru 80% of my deck, the timer ran out and it just randomly selected a card to put in my hand.   Then with the card in OD that lets you remove cards from your opponents deck based on your number of swamps, I had pulled about 6 cards from their library when the timer ran out, I even had my cursor on the next card I was going to select and it timed out.  I had 11 swamps in play, fyi.  It was especially frustrating because the next card I was going to pull was the next card my opponent drew and it saved the game for him.

I know we can't have all the time in the world because after all, the speed of the game must be maintained and an indeffinite delay could cause a huge stall in a game where one was losing and just simply stalls to force the opponent to conceed.  But a little more time would be nice. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

60 cards in a deck, you cast demonic tutor knowing what card you want to fish out. There's plenty of time.

As for synching issues; i haven't seen any on 2013, but 2012 was plauged by them. I've never had a problem with a quitter not being swapped with AI.

Maybe some peoples internet connections suck?   
60 cards in a deck, you cast demonic tutor knowing what card you want to fish out. There's plenty of time.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but on the iPad there is simply no enough time. I've run out of time at least twice when casting Demonic Tutor.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but on the iPad there is simply no enough time. I've run out of time at least twice when casting Demonic Tutor.

I agree. even if you know what you want to grab, if you happen to miss the card in the first filter through the deck and it's right near the start there's basically not enough time to go back through again and you'll probably miss out on grabbing it. This isn't even considering cards like nightmare incursion, which involve a large number of cards that you don't necessarily have predetermined. Furthermore, the user shouldn't be forced to panic in those situations, that's just unfair.
I think they should also add some type of count down clock so lets say when theres like 5 seconds left it shows a clock counting down so we just dont run out of time and be screwed with no warning for selecting cards

I can't speak for the ipad version, maybe there are different time limits. But, if you have Demonic tutor in hand, you should have a good idea of what you want to pull out. You have all of the opponents turn and a lot of your own turn before you cast the card. have a think, then cast. It only becomes a problem when you have to twin cast on the fly and have 30 seconds to think of what you need, although a timewarp or bribery are go-to choices

I can't speak for the ipad version, maybe there are different time limits. But, if you have Demonic tutor in hand, you should have a good idea of what you want to pull out. You have all of the opponents turn and a lot of your own turn before you cast the card. have a think, then cast. It only becomes a problem when you have to twin cast on the fly and have 30 seconds to think of what you need, although a timewarp or bribery are go-to choices

I knew what I what card I wanted to get. It is simply that, on the iPad, it is not easy to select a card when you have a lot to choose from. Scrolling though all of them is tricky and you can easily miss the one you're looking for.
True.

1. When you need to block many creatures, you dont have the time and you can not see the right creature to block between all others. I win and I loose many matches for this issue.

2. Nightmare Incursion, I almost never do it in time, lately, i just clic very fast searching only in the first 20 cards. 

3. when you edit a deck, you need to enter in campaing mode then go out, becoz if you dont.. you cannot connect to any game.

4. sincro bugs and freezes, so many..

5. We can not customize land ratio...  (i know that it has nothing to do with the topic, but i am just trolling this XD) 
I just want to let you guys know that I've passed on this feedback to the team. I hope it can be addressed in the future and if I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

much appreciated!

6. They went back to the archaic way of unlocking cards (to promote the keys to unlock the full decks) A step back was absolutely not necessary. Though I do understand the buisiness aspect of it.

Personally, I like the way cards are unlocked compared to 2012. I like the unlocking process, figuring out wether or not I should include the new card and what it would replace, putting your deck together piece by piece. I would have also liked it if we had to unlock the promo cards the same way as well. I know not everyone feels this way, and that's fine, but I would be disappointed if they went back to the 2012 way for 2014.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Personally, I like the way cards are unlocked compared to 2012. I like the unlocking process, figuring out wether or not I should include the new card and what it would replace, putting your deck together piece by piece. I would have also liked it if we had to unlock the promo cards the same way as well. I know not everyone feels this way, and that's fine, but I would be disappointed if they went back to the 2012 way for 2014.

Unlocking cards is fine.  But couldn't we do it a little faster?  300 games to unlock decks to their full potential!   That's absurd.  Is this really the type of game that should require grinding?

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Unlocking cards is fine.  But couldn't we do it a little faster?  300 games to unlock decks to their full potential!   That's absurd.  Is this really the type of game that should require grinding?

It's not 300 games if you unlock multiples of cards. Besides, i enjoy the grinding, it adds a bit of a thrill to the win, what card will i get next?

It's not 300 games if you unlock multiples of cards. Besides, i enjoy the grinding, it adds a bit of a thrill to the win, what card will i get next?

I wasn't talking "if you unlock multiples of cards."  I was talking about how the unlocks work now.  And you already know what card you will get next.  It's sitting right there in the deck manager laughing at you. 

In fact, it's probably more than 300 games because you're not going to win every game you play.

Is there something about me posting that requires you to try and contradict everything I say?

You're a lose cannon.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />In fact, it's probably more than 300 games because you're not going to win every game you play.

Preposterous!

OT: I agree on the time alotted should be dynamic.

I wasn't talking "if you unlock multiples of cards."  I was talking about how the unlocks work now.  And you already know what card you will get next.  It's sitting right there in the deck manager laughing at you. 

In fact, it's probably more than 300 games because you're not going to win every game you play.

Is there something about me posting that requires you to try and contradict everything I say?

Yeah, when you post your opinion and try and make it a steadfast rule. If YOU don't like unlocking cards, buy an unlock key. I like unlocking cards and i don't check the deck manager after every game

Yeah, when you post your opinion and try and make it a steadfast rule. If YOU don't like unlocking cards, buy an unlock key. I like unlocking cards and i don't check the deck manager after every game

I didn't try and make a rule, I asked the question, "Couldn't we do it a little faster?"  simple as that.  Quit taking things so personally.  And quit trying to put words in my mouth so that you can make yourself look better.   Such a troll.

You're a lose cannon.

I can't believe someone is seriously defending the fact that they took out the "unlock multiple copies at once" mechanic.  Yeah, it's only $1 per deck, but it's also a blatant cash grab that doesn't sit well with me.

I like unlocking the decks but at some point it gets really tedious.  Dream Puppets is boring as heck to unlock to a place where it's even a fun deck to play, I paid for that one.

Pretty much this. When I saw that they'd increased to 30 unlocks per deck, I was actually banking on it not being so bad because of the multiple cards in the decklists. Before the game's release I'd actually said unlocking cards one at a time when they double the number of cards to unlock would ultimately triple the time it took to unlock them, which wouldn't make any sense.

But that's what they did...

I find little solace in unlocking all 300 cards, when I know I have 150 more to do soon...

I unlocked the 300 cards, using the campaign and encounters at first, then repeatedly tried out planechase and lastly just repeat beating AI's.

I admit, it did get a bit tedious, and I only gained a few "new" interactions between cards that I hadn't thought off beforehand.

Then I got hit with the "lost all progress" bug. First time, I had a backup (270 cards unlocked at the time). I figured, fluke, restore and go on.

Second time, I had just reinstalled the box with the backup and hadn't gotten around to protecting it again. Lost everything. 300 cards, and all campaign progress.

They got me there. I capitulated and bought the 8 unlock keys. (ajani and garruk comes fully unlocked)

The money doesn't bother me. It's the price of a veggie-pizza with nothing good on it.

The principle though....

I guess if it IS a marketing scheme to sell more unlock keys, they have won. When the DLC comes, I'll buy unlock-keys right away and continue playing online. Might briefly take a break to finish new campaign content, if any.
I unlocked the 300 cards, using the campaign and encounters at first, then repeatedly tried out planechase and lastly just repeat beating AI's.

I admit, it did get a bit tedious, and I only gained a few "new" interactions between cards that I hadn't thought off beforehand.

Then I got hit with the "lost all progress" bug. First time, I had a backup (270 cards unlocked at the time). I figured, fluke, restore and go on.

Second time, I had just reinstalled the box with the backup and hadn't gotten around to protecting it again. Lost everything. 300 cards, and all campaign progress.

They got me there. I capitulated and bought the 8 unlock keys. (ajani and garruk comes fully unlocked)

The money doesn't bother me. It's the price of a veggie-pizza with nothing good on it.

The principle though....

I guess if it IS a marketing scheme to sell more unlock keys, they have won. When the DLC comes, I'll buy unlock-keys right away and continue playing online. Might briefly take a break to finish new campaign content, if any.

I only lost my info because I swapped out my Hard drive and didn't take the time to properly back up the DotP save file (I tried and failed and was on a clock so i didn't try again). It still sucked.

I think everyone, if possible, should go ahead and do that now...
I have been playing this game as my primary game since it's realease and I still haven't fully unlocked every deck. It is the biggest pain in the butt and the only reason I can tell that they've made it such a pain is so players eventually throw their hands up, say "f^#$ it", and buy unlock keys. This is the problem with micro-transaction age gaming. I built a better rig to run Diablo 3 smoothly in anticipation of some D3 pvp as promised by Blizzard. They still haven't released it but they seem to be doing a lot of things to keep the real money auction house thriving...which they take a nice cut of off the top. I feel like developers are now doing things like this where it's "What can we do to prod our customers into spending more money? I know! Let's make the game play itself very tedious and in order to actually unlock a full deck it'll take you 30 wins against an incompetent AI or short stacked against live players with unlocked decks! Then...we give them the option of spending $1 a deck to instantly unlock it. They'll say, 'Well, 3 hours of grinding against an AI is not worth the $1 I can spend I'll just buy the key.' Now, if even 1/10th our customers do this for their decks that's another $50,000+ in revenue for doing virtually absolutely nothing!" 

Clearly, they know people don't want to grind every deck. They gave a free key as a bonus for returning customers and the fact that they even offer keys shows they know what's going on. That they charge for the key makes it pretty obvious they're making unlocking the decks more and more tedious so more and more people pay for the secondary options (i.e. unlock keys).

I think it's kind of evil that it truly seems like they're making the game more unfun to try to drive up secondary transactions. If they really were doing it for any other purpose they'd just offer keys for free so players who want to go through every deck grinding it out can do so, and those who don't don't have to. It'd certainly make for a happier customer base. Oh, AND it would solve the problem of lost data for the most part. Okay you'd have to re-earn achievements/go through campaign- but with fully unlocked decks you can smash the campaign.
Absolutely agreed.  If they had even tried to make the Campaign fun, it wouldn't be as bad, but the Encounters are incredibly low-effort, and not very fun, with maybe one or two exceptions.

The Challenges are fun, but guess what?  They don't unlock cards or give you any reward at all!

This game is already such pure profit (look at the sales numbers) that it's a bit of a face-slap to have such a joke of a campaign mode, a complete joke of a "play against the AI" mode (because the AI stacks its deck depending on the difficulty level, and you can't even pick from different "builds" of each AI deck), and then giving us more unlocks this time but also removing "unlock multiple copies at once".

Frankly it's amazing that they didn't charge money for the Promo Cards.
Clearly, they know people don't want to grind every deck. They gave a free key as a bonus for returning customers and the fact that they even offer keys shows they know what's going on. That they charge for the key makes it pretty obvious they're making unlocking the decks more and more tedious so more and more people pay for the secondary options (i.e. unlock keys).

I had fun unlocking all the decks, one card at a time. And I didn't even use the free key, it's still sitting there waiting to be used on something. Not everyone finds the process of unlocking tedious. As I said earlier, I would be disappointed if they changed back to the multiple card unlocking ways of 2012. Maybe there would be a way to compromise, an option to switch between the "tedious" way and a faster way?

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I had fun unlocking the decks, too. I didn't even know there was a free key...
I had fun unlocking the decks, too. I didn't even know there was a free key...

If you already owned the 2012 version on the same account you bought 2013 on you got a free key for being a repeat customer.

"Lif is too short."

I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. When I said "people don't want to grind" I didn't mean all people, I just meant a significant number of people. I'm not even saying the majority of people, as I don't know the ratios, I just have a strong feeling that given the fact that they took the time to even implement ways around grinding that there is a large enough group of people out there that don't want to have to grind every single card.

I'm one of those people. That's not to say I don't like grinding a bit through the campaign when I first get the game, but after I've unlocked a deck I'm kind of over the "novelty" of stomping AI to play with a full deck.

What I'm saying is if it wasn't a profit thing, the keys would all be free. When you buy the game you get 10 keys with your account, and it's up to you how you use them. The fact they've made unlocking decks a much longer process over the versions and still charge something like $1 deck unlock I think it's a sign that they're trying to squeeze more micro-transactions out of their consumers, which I get from a pure capitalist point of view but think at the end of the day is kind of slimy. It feels like, to me at least, they're making the process of unlocking decks intentionally more of a pain in the butt than a pleasurably part of the game so people essentially say "Screw this" and drop an extra $1-10 on the game they already purchased to avoid the headache and monotany of unlocking all the decks.

Another idea that would be an alternative to the free keys would be similar to the promo cards: Everytime you win, you unlock a single card for all of your decks. Then people still need to grind out 30 wins, but not 300.
Sign In to post comments