colorless EDH deck ???

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm looking to build a new EDH deck, colorless.  I never built a colorless deck so I have no idea what to do for a commander or lands. I'm hoping to get some suggestions or tips.
Your looking at some serious pain in terms of your mana pool, as you can only use a land if it adds colorless or any type of mana.

As for a commander, you probably want any of the eldrasi. 

RPGtable username : RTiger

Skip the Eldrazi and run Karn, Silver Golem. I have a deck with him as the general and it's both a blast to play and competitive. I've been honing it for some time and people never know what to expect from it. What hurts most is really only being able to run artifacts and lands with no sorceries or instants. Vedalken Orrery helps a lot there. If you're interested, you could run Memnarch or Bosh, Iron Golem and dip into blue and red respectively.
I have a Karn deck as well. The mana base isn't as bad as people seem to always think. You can get away with a decent manabase for the same price as just about any other deck.
I think Karn will have more synergy with the majority of the deck (you'll be running mostly artifacts me thinks), but the eldrazi are fine. I personally like them in the deck so they can be tutored for over and over again with that one land whose name I forget... (eye of ugin?)

As for lands... there are plenty of them. They're just not commonly owned by a lot of players. But when choosing your lands, make sure that they are ALL useful. Being without a plethora of sorceries and instants means you won't have access to a plethora of effects. Sure you can run the Panoramas... but why would you when you can run lands that draw cards, sac for recursion, or make combat more interesting

3DH4LIF3

The lands aren't so bad. There are well over 37 (typically my magic land number) lands that tap for colorless mana. Even lands like exotic orchard can tap to add colorless, which is cool.

Plus, cards like thran dynamo and sol ring exist. Don't worry about your land base. 
I have seen both kozilek and karn deck. Both are really powerful.

If you want to go for the brute force and round-table hate, eldrazi is the way to go. Really hit or miss.

The deck I see plays with ALL ramp spells in his deck. mana vault, sol ring anyartifact that produces mana. and all he does is cast his commander all day long. If your general got shuffled, tough luck. But it's effective as you can see him as early as turn 2. To me, it's less fun and feels very linear.

My friend's karn deck is a "Prison" deck. They put it all kinds of can't untap effect. 

best combo with karn is probably Mycosynth Lattice. it's a 1-mana per land minigun. 

Further more, The deck is PACKED with utility lands which really buffs its "spell count". makes it extra competitive when other decks needs around 20-30 lands that does nothin but producing mana.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
There are 74 mana-producing lands that are legal in a purely colorless commander deck.  So pick 35-40 of them with neat abilities and you should be fine.
There are more than 74. Exotic and forbidden orchard are legal in colorless. So is urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, rupture spire etc. So yeah, shouldn't be too hard to do.

3DH4LIF3

if you search gatherer for lands, excluding the colored symbols and the 5 land types you end up with 143 or so lands that can be played in Colorless decks.

3DH4LIF3

Even lands like exotic orchard can tap to add colorless, which is cool.

Pretty sure that won't work, as colorless is not a color. Even if'n it says "any color", it still has to be A color.

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
It works. You choose a color, but get colorless.

Command Tower doesn't work though with colorless commanders.

3DH4LIF3

It works. You choose a color, but get colorless.

Oh, because you can add colors outside your colors, but get colorless instead, lol.

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Karn, silver golem looks very cool proably more to my play style, thanks for all the advice and infomation on colorless decks.  Please keep adding any thoughts or ideas if you have any.
@big bad bill- yup thats how it works. Not that I would play exotic orchard in a colorless deck...

If we don't go colorless bosh is a neat artifact commander. Artifact themed but with access to some neat effects from red.

3DH4LIF3

I think if I was going to build a MUD deck that was in colors, I'd play Nin. Access to red and blue makes for a very smexy MUD deck.
Sign In to post comments