Elminster Enraged

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Picked up a copy today. 30 pages in and Ed introduces us to a "Secret Chosen of Mystra"
Show
Symrustar Auglamyr

;)

HAND OF KARSUS!

I remember I got halfway through Elminster Must Die before becoming too bored to continue. It's one of the few books I have ever left unread, matter of fact.

Still, I might as well go back and give it another shot. Sounds like this payoff is going to be pretty important.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Picked up a copy today. 30 pages in and Ed introduces us to a "Secret Chosen of Mystra" Symrustar Auglamyr...

;)

Oh you just had to go and not spoilter tag that, didn't you?

...and I'd have looked anyway, so it doesn't matter.

So...hardcover? Softcover? Wasn't sure how this latest one would be released.

Picked up a copy today. 30 pages in and Ed introduces us to a "Secret Chosen of Mystra"

;)

Judging by the fact that the name is a different color, the OP most likely tried out the poor man's spoiler by making it the same color as the background. He just didn't realize that there are a lot of different background/themes on this site.
Picked up a copy today. 30 pages in and Ed introduces us to a "Secret Chosen of Mystra" Symrustar Auglamyr...

;)

Sorry folks, fixed it. So dont tar and feather me in Cyric's most holy name... 

HAND OF KARSUS!

It's a hard cover btw...

Show
Manshoon is still bat**** cray cray. Shades make an apperance. Drow are getting slaughtered. The nobles of Cormyr are still a bunch of self important ****. Mirt of course is taking a bath in wine with two play pretties.

At chapter 6...

HAND OF KARSUS!

;)

Sorry folks, fixed it. So dont tar and feather me in Cyric's most holy name... 

Consider yourself tarred and feather in Mielikki's most holy name then
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
At chapter 6...

Count me jealous you've got your hands on that book!

I gave myself a gold star for quoting you and deleting the spoiler text without reading it. No more spoilers for me until I've read the damn book!

C'mon Misc... you know you want to read them... live a little...

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

The book was released on Tuesday. Currently reading about
Show
Castle Irlingstar

Gotta love a prison for "dangerous" Cormyrian Nobles named after a Waterhavian Noble that was actully a Malaugrym.;)

HAND OF KARSUS!

Interesting development about.
Show
Hesperdan

HAND OF KARSUS!

Just finished the book. All that I can say is WOW!!           

Show
The Simbul sacrificed her life to save Elminster. El goes on a rampage, he "kills" the black dragon Hesperdan, he "kills" the Chosen of Mystra, Manshoon, yes Manshoon was a wielder of Silver Fire at one time. El gives the Silver Fire that the Simbul gave to him to restore Mystra. Mystra lives yet again.

HAND OF KARSUS!

Show
The Simbul sacrificed her life to save Elminster. El goes on a rampage, he "kills" the black dragon Hesperdan, he "kills" the Chosen of Mystra, Manshoon, yes Manshoon was a wielder of Silver Fire at one time. El gives the Silver Fire that the Simbul gave to him to restore Mystra. Mystra lives yet again.

Gee, now I really want to read this book. I'm a little amused, though, for two reasons.

Show
1. Manshoon "death" #1286 is going to be as irrelevant as the others, because at the end of the day, eliminating one of the most infamous antagonists in FR isn't going to attract the more conserative Realmsgoers for the new era. Plus, we all know Ed's not willing to write off one of his favorite villains.

2. Same deal with Simbul, actually. She was always regarded as one of, if not the, most kick-butt women in the Realms. Now she's not just M.I.A. as was the case with 4E's advent, she's dead. I foresee divine intervention on Mystra's part in the near future.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
El even says to storm that a certain someone isn't dead.

Show
I feel happier than I have in along time," she murmered. "What with Mystra restored, and Manshoon no more." "A Manshoon is not what he was," El corrected her. "He survives, after a fashion, and there are more of him. Like many a wealthy merchant who trades in a large handful of lands, he has many Manshoons." Storm winced at the pun and lifted a hand from her harp strings in the glade. "This is next, for me. And for you?" "There remains," Elminster said gravely, "the matter of Larloch."

HAND OF KARSUS!

Ed has already started "setting the Realms right." (I bought and read Elminster Enraged on Saturday.) He pushed more change in that novel than I really expected -- I think the decision for the Sundering probably caused that.

Show
Mystra has returned, and BTW, she is at least part, the older Mystra, based upon her self description.  Not sure how powerful she is. I do NOT expect to see The Simbul again; she had her heroic exit. Mansoon is temporarily gone; but stated to be likely diminished in power when he returns. Cormyr appears to be set up for a change, probably to a constitutional monarchy. Lots fewer War Wizards, and Storm was networking with nobles for a new deal. Mirt appears to be settled permanently in Cormyr. I don't think we will see Elminster again until the Herald is published.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I wonder if Storm will ever cary her own child...
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Finished this one this past weekend.  Once it hits a point, you will not be able to put it down.  Must say it was about time for this to happen. Laughing
Does any one know in what year this trilogy takes place?

1479 DR, to my knowledge. A recent Ed quote mentioned as much.

My Sig
I am Blue/Green
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
56790678 wrote:
56902498 wrote:
57062508 wrote:
56760448 wrote:
90571711 wrote:
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
158710691 wrote:

1479 DR, to my knowledge. A recent Ed quote mentioned as much.

Hah, yes I just read that in another thread.  Thanks for the reply!