AD&D 1e - How to start?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everybody, first time posting here.  I grew up in the 80's where I think AD&D saw it's glory days.  Now I have kids of my own and I think they would love this stuff.  For purly nostolgic reasons, I would like to play the same version I played as a kid which was the AD&D 1e.  Too much time has passed and I honestly don't know where to get started, and obviously trying to start with an edition 30 years old doesn't aid the cause.  But if anybody can help me, it would be very much appriciated.  It looks like finding the books is not so hard, thanks to sites like Ebay and others.  

So where do I go from here?  I really can't wait to get started!

tx :-) 

Hiya.

1) Get some character sheets and help them make characters.

2) While they are making some characters, get a sheet of paper and rough out a starting wilderness area with at least 3 settlements. Name things as the mood hits you.

3) Grab an old module, or something created by a fan (might I suggest doing a search for "Dyson's Delve"...lots of great 'dungeon maps, geomorphs, links, and adventures').

4) Start playing!

The key thing I'd try to keep in mind...it's a game, have fun, and don't sweat the details. The first game should be all about fun and imagination; the rules should come waaaay down the list as far as "important" things. Once you get your bearings, you'll start to remember stuff from your early days and things will start to fall into place. That's when you can try and start to 'use' more adhearence to rules (or rulings, as the case may be).

Enjoy!             

Hi everybody, first time posting here.  I grew up in the 80's where I think AD&D saw it's glory days.  Now I have kids of my own and I think they would love this stuff.  For purly nostolgic reasons, I would like to play the same version I played as a kid which was the AD&D 1e.  Too much time has passed and I honestly don't know where to get started, and obviously trying to start with an edition 30 years old doesn't aid the cause.

Better in some ways, more challenging in others.  My first suggestion would be to maximize your resources.  www.dragonsfoot.org is a site dedicated to older versions of D&D, mostly 1E (but 2E and Basic as well).  There are plenty of useful downloads there (character sheets, adventures...) and gobs of advice to be had on the forums geared specifically for 1E.

A good first question for you would be if you actually DM'd back in the day or were only a player?  That is, how much experience do you have actually running the game?

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Hi,

I had very little in the way of experience with either.  I was just 9 or 10 years old, and probably wasn't even following the rules right to begin with.  But my friend and I had a blast making our players and making up games.  

Is there a 101 set of instructions that say "here is how to get started?"  I still have my old books, the players book, the DM book and the Monster book.  Should  I just start reading those?

It all depends on the books.  If you're looking at the Player's Handbook that looks like this (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player%27s_Handboo...), the DMG has a way to roll up a random dungeon.  If not, you might have to finagle things yourself.
I had very little in the way of experience with either.  I was just 9 or 10 years old, and probably wasn't even following the rules right to begin with.  But my friend and I had a blast making our players and making up games.

Then you were doing it correctly.  Lesson #1: don't let the rules get in the way of having a blast.  Ignore them.  Change them.  Add to them.  Remove them.  Bend, fold, spindle and mutilate to your hearts content.

Is there a 101 set of instructions that say "here is how to get started?"

Despite the frequency with which this question gets asked there really isn't.  Too many people with different ideas of how to play, what to do, what not to do...
I still have my old books, the players book, the DM book and the Monster book.  Should  I just start reading those?

It certainly doesn't hurt.    As DM you're likely to do a LOT of reading.  Not just the rulebooks but adventures, advice, etc.  Just be aware that the 1E rules are decidedly clunky in places.  They were written with a fair amount of expectation that the people reading it already had some experience with the older edition and other games entirely, like chainmail.  D&D came out of wargaming and things that old wargamers wouldn't bat an eyelash at can cause modern gamers to go blind (changing movement scales for example).

Actually, there is a lot to be said for simply creating some characters, closing your eyes and jumping in while you read up on stuff between game sessions, but there are still going to be things you'll almost certainly want to have prepared or read up on before you start.

Definitely know how combat rules are going to work.  You're not going to want to use the 1E initiative system as written - you'll want something far quicker and simpler to start out with.  Use something more like 2E's system or make one up on your own.  Or try the one I put together at the bottom of this link: home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building...  If you just gotta use 1E initiative then you want/need/must have A.D.D.I.C.T. to explain it.

You'll want to have some sort of starting point or base of operations for the player characters.  A village or small town with a bunch of NPC's for the players to interact with between dungeon crawls.  If you don't have any downloaded adventures to put the PC's through then you could do worse than to just have them strike out into the wilderness and see what's there - a variety of hungry monsters, other towns, mountains or deserts, an ocean, or an invading army.  The ability of a Dungeon Master to simply make things up as he goes along cannot be undervalued.

And of course, ask on forums about any rules questions you come up with.

Above all - HAVE FUN.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Hi lewiada,
I'm in the same boat you're in.  I DM'd a little back in the 80s, but I'd forgotten most of it (escept the fun!), so we bought the new 4e starter edition and jumed in.  It was a lot easier to get started than I remember as a kid.  The box has an abbreviated players' book and dungeon master's book, dice, adn some character tokens (markers).  The initial character creation occurs as a solo-play adventure, but I ran it as a group.  However you get started, I'm sure you'll have fun.
We used to draw up our own character sheets...very basic - class, race, level, alignment, hp, AC, Abilities, saving throws, THAC0 chart, equipment, magic item list, gold, experience points.

Tundra (My Second AD&D character - A cleric from the north) - expected by our DM to touch the religious artefacts of other faiths and religions and use them. Most irritated when Tundra refused to touch the religious objects of another peoples. Apparently D&D games were not up to thinking like that. Beheaded by the Party Paladin for saying No.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
I first started playing AD&D back in the summer of 83. I was running games in late 84. I really enjoyed playing 1st ed. Then when they came out with 2nd ed it was nice and it was just a little bit more info then 1st ed. If you are looking for modules go to this website www.dragonsfoot.org/fe/. this covers a lot of 1st ed adventures. I would suggest getting ahold of one of the nice character sheets where it was made for this class and only this class. Check out the character sheets from rpgsheets.com/m034.html. They are what I started to play with back in 83.
What I would suggest is have the kids make up characters with an idea of what they want the character to be like. Let them watch the original AD&D cartoon with the tiamat and such in it. They might get some great ideas from that.
Then once they are done creating their characters, then start them like in a small village or such and someone is kidnapped by say orcs and they need to go rescue them. Very basic and should be a great learning exp. for all around.
I have a lot of the 1st - 4th ed stuff that I can send you if you let me know. It is all on my comp so it would be very east to do so.
Good luck and have a great time.
Sign In to post comments